Decent PC - low FPS?

Hey guys, i have a decent PC, and I have low settings on a lot, and high at the most on a few settings, but I still get 30 ish fps in 25m raids and BG?

Corsair TX 650W PSU
    ASUS P7H55-M PRO, Socket-1156
    Intel Core i5 Quad Processor i5-760 (overcloced from 2.8Ghz to 3.0Ghz)
    MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA
    Western Digital Caviar® Black 1TB
    RAM: 4GB

Anything I should upgrade?

30ish fps in 25 mans sounds about right with your hardware. I think you could even get away with running most of the settings on ultra without losing any fps. If you need to upgrade anything, I would advice you to get a bit more RAM as 4GB is a bit on the low side, still enough though, but it is a bit low.

On high settings thats reasonable. That card is sufficient to run ultra in most settings if you wanted, with shadows, clutter and water turned down, but your CPU is likely slowing you down a bit. Especially with modernized areas.

---------- Post added 2013-02-28 at 05:18 PM ----------

For wow 4gb is fine. The next step up would be 8, and that is enough to run any game out there at 1600p with great frame rates.

i've got a 2.5 year old computer i run all on max, a gpu like yours should be able to max it out, though i'm experiencing the same issues as you, the thing is, when i turned down my view distance to low, my fps went all the way up to 90+ fps, i dont know why but i think its something blizz should fix.
    my specs are:
    phenom II x4 945
    team ddr 4gb 1333mhz
    asrock m3a770de
    64 gb ddr ocz
    500gb rom
    club3d hd5870

It is not likely something blizz will be able to "fix" your CPU is likely maxing out when it has to run computations on things farther away (remember when you increase your view distance that means your CPU and GPU need to run calculations on all the extra stuff you see.

I have found in the normal world where there aren't all that many players around you tend to just stress your GPU when running everything on ultra (rendering shadows on everything etc...) Whereas when you are in 25 man raid both your CPU and GPU get maxed, but the bottleneck tends to be the CPU, which is currently the weak point of your build.

You could try to OC a bit more if you like. I have my 2600k OCd at 4.5ghz from 3.4 (albeit I do have aftermarket cooling), you could probably push yours a little more depending on your cooling system.

10+ Year Old Account
    That sounds about right for your CPU. In 25 man raids your CPU is most likely not going to be able to keep up (not just yours, pretty much everyones) because of how WoW's engine handles threads it dumps the main bulk of the information on one core. A 3570k at 4.5 ghz is probably one of the only processors that can keep up in 25 man raids.

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post
    Hey guys, i have a decent PC, and I have low settings on a lot, and high at the most on a few settings, but I still get 30 ish fps in 25m raids and BG?

Corsair TX 650W PSU
    ASUS P7H55-M PRO, Socket-1156
    Intel Core i5 Quad Processor i5-760 (overcloced from 2.8Ghz to 3.0Ghz)
    MSI Geforce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA
    Western Digital Caviar® Black 1TB
    RAM: 4GB

Anything I should upgrade?
    Try turning off Anti-aliasing in your graphics card that may bump your fps up a little, when MoP was released they changed anti-aliasing (Now called Multi-sampling) and you can no longer turn it off totally in game. Turning AA off bumped my fps up about 40 - 50 fps so its worth the shot even with a good graphics card.
    Some games do look better with AA on (WoW doesn't) so you may want to turn it back on for other games.
    Last edited by Bahska; 2013-02-28 at 09:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmatthias View Post
    It is not likely something blizz will be able to "fix" your CPU is likely maxing out when it has to run computations on things farther away (remember when you increase your view distance that means your CPU and GPU need to run calculations on all the extra stuff you see.

I have found in the normal world where there aren't all that many players around you tend to just stress your GPU when running everything on ultra (rendering shadows on everything etc...) Whereas when you are in 25 man raid both your CPU and GPU get maxed, but the bottleneck tends to be the CPU, which is currently the weak point of your build.

You could try to OC a bit more if you like. I have my 2600k OCd at 4.5ghz from 3.4 (albeit I do have aftermarket cooling), you could probably push yours a little more depending on your cooling system.
    a first gen i5 is not going to get 4.5Ghz easily at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahska View Post
    Try turning off Anti-aliasing in your graphics card that may bump your fps up a little, when MoP was released they changed anti-aliasing (Now called Multi-sampling) and you can no longer turn it off totally in game. Turning AA off bumped my fps up about 40 - 50 fps so its worth the shot even with a good graphics card.
    Some games do look better with AA on (WoW doesn't) so you may want to turn it back on for other games.
    Multi-sampling is an anti-aliasing method and it depends on what monitor you use how much effect anti-aliasing has on the IQ.

Quote Originally Posted by Milkshake86 View Post
    a first gen i5 is not going to get 4.5Ghz easily at all.
    I didn't say he could easily get his to 4.5 I said "you could probably push yours a little more". I had just used my 4.5 OC as an example. I would imagine he could get it to at least 3.2 or 3.3 (possibly higher), just need to monitor your core temps.

Quote Originally Posted by lordmatthias View Post
    I didn't say he could easily get his to 4.5 I said "you could probably push yours a little more". I had just used my 4.5 OC as an example. I would imagine he could get it to at least 3.2 or 3.3 (possibly higher), just need to monitor your core temps.
    3,6 is easily achievable with a good cpu cooler, but since he didn't specify one I would assume he is at a termal ceiling at 3,0GHz. Anyway, his performance seems about right for his system and he could easily push graphics a little bit higher without any fps loss.

I got also i5-760 cpu, but 6850 amd graphic card and 8gb of ram.
    Can run the game with full setting 1900x1200 resolution, only got shadow and ssao on lowest.

So maybe 4gb ram that you got is to low or something is wrong with your comp, but I recommend you getting an addition 4gb ram and try.
    Another thing I can think of is that you having streams going on in your web browser try closing your web browser and see if help.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Akkep View Post
    I got also i5-760 cpu, but 6850 amd graphic card and 8gb of ram.
    Can run the game with full setting 1900x1200 resolution, only got shadow and ssao on lowest.

So maybe 4gb ram that you got is to low or something is wrong with your comp, but I recommend you getting an addition 4gb ram and try.
    Another thing I can think of is that you having streams going on in your web browser try closing your web browser and see if help.
    He's in 25 man raids with this FPS.

I'm willing to bet you're not.

Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    He's in 25 man raids with this FPS.

I'm willing to bet you're not.
    I played pretty much every raid in wow in 25-man, I don't know exact my fps but can't remember having any issues, only place I get some fps issues where it drops down to around 30 is nagrand and some small place in uldum.

He says he can't get good fps even with lowest settings which why I think he should get 4 more gb of ram.

Even if he buys the most powerful cpu he is looking at around 20-25% increase in fps.

Deleted
    i've got:

i7 2700k @ 4.4ghz
    16gb 1333mhz ram
    corsair 800w power supply
    overclocked AMD radeon hd 7970

1080p - With preset on "ultra." View distance, shadows and water quality on "high", 4x MSAA, vsync, triple buffering and reduce input lag (because I get massive stuttering otherwise) I can't hold 60fps ALL the time. In 25man raids it can drop to the 40s at times. Hell, even outside shrine or by stormwind trade AH if there are a load of people around it can drop to the 50s. Some areas tax the GPU, if there are a lot of people/moving units around then it taxes the CPU.

So yeah, WoW just has issues... As long as it's "playable" I've given up worrying.
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-03-01 at 01:44 AM.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Killora View Post
    That sounds about right for your CPU. In 25 man raids your CPU is most likely not going to be able to keep up (not just yours, pretty much everyones) because of how WoW's engine handles threads it dumps the main bulk of the information on one core. A 3570k at 4.5 ghz is probably one of the only processors that can keep up in 25 man raids.
    My I5 2500k at stock handles 25mans never below 40 fps, I think you're over thinking it.

Thanks for answers! I think i'm buying a 8GB RAM, since it's really cheap. Maybe a cooler, so I can overclock my CPU a bit more? instead of having to buy a new CPU, because then I need a new motherboard too, right? 3.0 was the most i could do, or else it would overheat.

Hi all!

I got some troubles too, with my new PC, i see low fps in the game... and the image of the game, i just see a low colors, like a death wow, and yes or yes i need to activate vertical sync cuz the image just have a little crash, like cuts... idk what is happen...

Specs:

Motherboard:
    Asus Crosshair V Formula

Ram:
    Gskill 16gb (4x4) 2133mhz

Video:
    Nvidia GTX560 2gbram DDR5 (x2) Sli activated

Processor:
    Amd FX-8350 8 núcleos 4.0ghz AM3+

Power supply:
    Corsair TX750M 750W

Hard Drive:
    1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 32mb cache

Apologize by my bad english lol.. and really preciate ur help

And another question, how much can my CPU work? normally at 65-68C°. and the video cards like 67-69C°!

Quote Originally Posted by Apocalypthus View Post
    Make your own thread if you have problems or questions.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 03:07 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Vetly View Post
    Thanks for answers! I think i'm buying a 8GB RAM, since it's really cheap. Maybe a cooler, so I can overclock my CPU a bit more? instead of having to buy a new CPU, because then I need a new motherboard too, right? 3.0 was the most i could do, or else it would overheat.
    A 200MHz isn't really an overclock and this is just most likely because you aren't experienced. Voltages should be set manually or else the motherboard starts to overvolt everything which can create a lot of heat and nobody wants this.

You can always replace the stock cooler to obtain some quietness. Before you start to head over to overclocking your system, just buy an 8GB set and replace it with your old ones. Don't mix them, you possibly can't even fill 8GB so no need for 12GB ram.

Play your games and if it runs fine, keep it like that and forget overclocking.