Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is Blizzard just waiting for transfer money to dry up?

On the official forums there is a 93 page thread about issues with server transfers being backed up. We all know the migrations have been going on for a long time, it is interesting to see such a big thread on the subject tho.

So what say you, is the mass migration just going to continue on its profitable course, or will they do something about all those ghost town servers first.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/7979899479

First they will come to your home and claim the souls of your first born unless you can guess their mmochampion online name. It's all part of their dubious plan to annoy you.

That or there may be a perfectly legitimate reason why things are the way they are.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    No, they want to avoid mergers because merging servers automatically means your game sucks, failed, and is dying.

Deleted
    Technically servers are already merged. Cross realms are using combined server power. But as poster above said...

I'd hate it for my server to be merged with another one.

First, this would force me to rename ALL of my characters and configure ALL of my addons again from scratch since addons are based on the characters' names.
    Second, this would ruin the economy since more players means more competition and more bots.
    Third, the absolute majority of those who play on dead realms actually enjoy it. Yes, some people actually like to be part of one small community. Shocking, I know (sarcasm).

I'd love for Blizz to remove the transfer option altogether as well as scrap that ridiculous CRZ idea. And of course, no server merging.

The cost is there to make it so you DON'T want to transfer. Partly yes it's about profit but they also don't want people transferring willy nilly.
    Goodbye-Forever-MMO-Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by HighlordJohnstone View Post
    Alleria's whispers start climaxing

Don't think Blizzard will remove server transfers in a loooong time.

For they who want to stay on their low pop servers can do that, but they could also grant free transfers for they who want to get of there.

10+ Year Old Account
    The sad part about the transfer situation currently, is that it's showing CRZ is not doing it's job.

People are -still- migrating to higher pop servers once either capped, or before so.

Before MoP launch I moved my main from Silvermoon EU(full realm - locked when MoP came) to Sporeggar EU(probably the most dead realm that exists).

CRZ gave Sporeggar nothing. All we got were people /w 27/7 about inviting their mains so they could come farm our rares, our ore and herbs, farm Order of the Cloud Serpent reputation and killing our world bosses.
    CRZ has not given us any help when it comes to auction house being non-exstinct and more players for raids. The only thing we got out of CRZ that was good was the help with the world bosses.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    First, this would force me to rename ALL of my characters and configure ALL of my addons again from scratch since addons are based on the characters' names.
    You would just have to move/rename folders in your WTF folder. Every time I make a new character, I just copy my main's folder so I don't have to set up my UI each time.

---------- Post added 2013-03-03 at 08:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post
    The sad part about the transfer situation currently, is that it's showing CRZ is not doing it's job.

People are -still- migrating to higher pop servers once either capped, or before so.
    CRZ doesn't solve difficulties in recruiting. You still have to be on the same realm to be in a guild.

I know that the idea floating around that CRZ is a test run or precursor to a single massive server was quickly shot down by Blizzard, citing the issues of duplicate player character names (among other limitations). Even so, I could still see something like a mega server happening at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by dokhidamo View Post
    No, they want to avoid mergers because merging servers automatically means your game sucks, failed, and is dying.
    The difference: SWTOR/GW2 had 2-3 dozen servers. WoW has like 250 in just the US. There are servers with sub 1000 level 90s (some with only 200-300, such as Warsong). When you have 250 servers and merge say 50 of those servers into 20-25, there is a REALLY big difference.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ability to not listen to kids who claim this is indeed not as omni-present as it should be.

Blizzard used to have 12M subs, and even then there were empty/deadish servers, or at least single factions on servers. Since then factually 15%+ left, yet only new servers opened up. All those kids asking devs that do server merges on twitter "so you finally realized your game is shit?" should be banished from the internet :')
    Ex-GM and Raidleader of the MoX Purple Kittens Raidteam on Twisting Nether (formerly Grim Batol), RIP, Winter 2010 - Spring 2013.
    Armory. WoWProgress. Might start streaming Soon(tm) http://twitch.tv/szem/

It's getting rediculous. They could merge the bottom 200 servers into 10 and it would barely be a blip on the radar.
    Did you think we had forgotten? Did you think we had forgiven?

WoW has been a cash cow since like 07-08 ever since Titan was announced, Im fairly sure their newbie devs start on WoW on see what walks and implement it to their bigger project Titan its been evident for a long time.

15+ Year Old Account
    There's probably a legitimate reason.
    Besides, most wow players are impatient, they completed the transfer and check it every 2 minutes to see if its done, if not the head straight for the forums and complain.

They did it in China last year. What is the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Novx View Post
    The difference: SWTOR/GW2 had 2-3 dozen servers. WoW has like 250 in just the US. There are servers with sub 1000 level 90s (some with only 200-300, such as Warsong). When you have 250 servers and merge say 50 of those servers into 20-25, there is a REALLY big difference.

Warsong was actually a realm that used to have a lot of Russians playing on it. When the Russians got their own, new realms, Warsong was removed completely(or changed name - who knows). Same goes for Shadowmoon, Crushridge and Stonemaul I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Conscious View Post

Which isn't what CRZ is for anyway, so that shows nothing. Keep in mind that CRZ is still disabled in Pandaria.

Deleted
    I think server merges are a bad idea unless they have become so dead that they are merged with one that is a little fresher, so to speak. Some people want to play on high pop, some want medium to avoid queue f.ex. and some want low pop for the atmosphere. People just don't want to become stuck on a server. So put a timer on it. Maybe if you want many chars moved, put a discount in it on the timer. Timer before or after a move. Some people actually like to be in a more solitary environment. CRZ sounds like a wicked thing. Note, I haven't played with it though I should wish to try MoP, but it sounds like it would destroy much of the realm concept. Of course, actual game experience may show otherwise. I don't think they should merge a low pop with a low pop just to make it a medium pop, but definately it would help to stop making new realms and cut the lowest one and merge them into another low f.ex. To annoy people on each server the least and provide an easier experience for the players there who want to find enough players for raids or whatever. Keep cutting the lowest ones, don't make new ones and do it once in while. Noone wants dead servers, but some want intimate and more solitary servers.