Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

IS Gearbox one of the worst game developers?

As of right now, following the great bomb that was Aliens: Colonial Marines, and the development controversy surrounding it, Gearbox, a once promising company, along with it's head, Randy Pitchford, are considered by many gamers as of now to be among the worst current game developers.

Gearbox made the popular and acclaimed Borderlands series, but it seems as of now, it's not enough to lift them out of their current situation.

Do you personally think all this outcry and hate is justified?

Worse than Hammerpoint (WarZ)? Or Aventurine (Darkfall)? I don't think so mister.
    "Loss of blood... My only weakness!"
    ~ Warlord Khan, Magicka

Anyway, if you don't already see where I'm going with this, allow me to spell it out: the only meaningful MMORPG "endgame" -- i.e., something novel to do after the progression process is over -- is that of the sandbox.

Who are these gamers that consider Gearbox a terrible company? Why do you keep starting threads claiming things without sourcing them? What 'current situation' is gearbox in? Who hates them?

Deleted
    Don't know too much about it but wasn't Aliens developed by several companies over like 5 years? Why is just one company getting the blame for this, and who is saying this in the first place. As far as I'm concerned they've still be releasing other games I've enjoyed (Borderlands and Brothers in Arms), so just because they've attempted (albeit badly) to revive a few games doesn't mean I consider them one of the worst developers.

I'd like some evidence to this hate and outcry. All I've heard of people bad mouthing Gearbox is a vocal minority and those who were greatly disappointed by Duke Nukem, and the latest Aliens game. Personally, I'm pretty indifferent to them. I just wish the DLC for BL2 was cheaper and better.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gamers are the most fickle, entitled and bitchy people around. Somebody has a bad release, they suck! somebody releases a game that doesn't reach their entitled expectations, They suck and the game sucks too! Somebody likes a game they don't like? that person sucks! Where do these people come from? As a gamer myself i look at the gaming community as a whole and i am ashamed.
    Stormrage 4 lyfe

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    Gamers are the most fickle, entitled and bitchy people around. Somebody has a bad release, they suck! somebody releases a game that doesn't reach their entitled expectations, They suck and the game sucks too! Somebody likes a game they don't like? that person sucks! Where do these people come from? As a gamer myself i look at the gaming community as a whole and i am ashamed.
    I wouldn't define those people as "gamers" anyway. Its fair to be critical, but switching sides on a game to game basis thats just idiotic. But for that matter the term gamer is overused as well
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

15+ Year Old Account
    Never played a Gearbox game.

The Aliens and Duke Nukem got much hate but thats what happens when games go through development hell and hop from house to house until someone decides to produce it. Gearbox could have easily passed those 2 games along but they didn't, so props for trying.

If I was them I would stop making PC games because of the risk and make cell phone and internet browser games ...and games for social media like facebook ...and just watch the wheel barrels of cash come pouring in .

People just don't care and can't make a research. Gearbox worked on multiplayer of this game. Singplayer company and all assets are created by other minor companies.

Deleted
    A:CM was horrendous.
    as a fan of the Aliens universe I am pretty shocked that Fox let this game go live in the state that it was, Gearbox should be held to account for that, and they are rightly being criticized by the gaming population / game critics. Maybe they will learn.

Does one mistake make Gearbox a bad publisher though ? Not in my mind they dont. Sure they dropped the ball with A:CM and to some extent Duke Nukem Forever, However they have released great games too and they should not be forgotten, Borderlands 1+2. Half Life Opposing force and Blue shift all spring to mind.

Every game publisher has released a turkey of a game at some point in their lifetimes, its just that A:CM is a new game that it is in everyone's mind at the moment

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khraine View Post
    http://oi49.tinypic.com/2jcy1qa.jpg

Please do not embed images that could be considered NSFW. --Sj
    Last edited by Sj; 2013-03-05 at 04:15 AM.

Gearbox purveyed an intent to raise the bar and deliver good games with both Duke Nukem Forever and Aliens: Colonial Marines. What they did was cash grab with a pair of utter shit games that they did little more than stitch together from the numerous parts that other people had created. It's their own fault they're being viewed this way and that's not going to change any time soon. Although Borderlands has a fairly decent audience, it's by no means a AAA level of popularity and that's not enough to protect their general appearance as some money grubbers.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'll join in asking for some evidence of who these people citing them as one of the worst game developers.

I can think of PLENTY worse.

They released a flop, which is a whole essay's worth of problems not just theirs.

Their success with Borderlands 1 and 2 amongst several others, including the port of Halo to the PC is highly revered. You'll have a much easier time finding good things than bad. They aren't free of their faults and failures, but once again, far from "one of the worst game developers". Also generally it's good to note when something is "cited" to actually show what it's cited from.

I can cite facts from medical journals but never produce the medical journals.
    Last edited by Krekko; 2013-03-04 at 10:01 AM.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    Who are you citing? Yourself? You're going to need some sources if you're going to make a wide sweeping statement about "many gamers", that's likely to incur a heated debate....

I think that Gearbox and SEGA deserve all the criticism they've received. I've heavily criticised them myself after completing Aliens: Colonial Marines on day one. The product we were given was unacceptable for the time in development, for the previous information, screenshots and videos, for the price, and for the potential that Gearbox has but fell short.

Gearbox let down their consumers and they disappointed.... but to throw a statement like "Gearbox cited as one of the worst game developers " is ridiculous. There are probably a thousand worse developers. Gearbox dropped the ball completely on this project. We've been given reasons such as pressure from SEGA, bad funding, the source being passed around multiple developers but Gearbox put their name to it in the end and they're taking a lot of well deserved criticism for it.

Are they one of the worst game developers out there? No.... and you should really provide evidence if you're going to claim something or just state your personal opinion. They've proven themselves to be an excellent game developer in the past - and that's what makes this game sting all the more, because we know what they're capable of.

15+ Year Old Account
    I am guessing you guys didn't read that they used a lot of the money sega gave them for aliens to fund borderlands 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shamanic View Post
    Who are you citing? Yourself? You're going to need some sources if you're going to make a wide sweeping statement about "many gamers", that's likely to incur a heated debate....

I think that Gearbox and SEGA deserve all the criticism they've received. I've heavily criticised them myself after completing Aliens: Colonial Marines on day one. The product we were given was unacceptable for the time in development, for the previous information, screenshots and videos, for the price, and for the potential that Gearbox has but fell short.

Gearbox let down their consumers and they disappointed.... but to throw a statement like "Gearbox cited as one of the worst game developers " is ridiculous. There are probably a thousand worse developers. Gearbox dropped the ball completely on this project. We've been given reasons such as pressure from SEGA, bad funding, the source being passed around multiple developers but Gearbox put their name to it in the end and they're taking a lot of well deserved criticism for it.

Are they one of the worst game developers out there? No.... and you should really provide evidence if you're going to claim something or just state your personal opinion. They've proven themselves to be an excellent game developer in the past - and that's what makes this game sting all the more, because we know what they're capable of.
    Randy Pitchford's Facebook and twitter was harassed to the point that he stated he would block any rude comments from then on. The game and its failure has generally turned many gamers against Gearbox, but the primary reason is this.

What Gearbox did, was they seemingly took the development money of Aliens Colonial Marines from SEGA to fund into Borderlands content, and lied to them while doing so (refer to Wikipedia)

When Diablo 3 premiered - Blizzard was the worst developer.
    When WarZ premiered - Hammerpoint was the worst..
    EA is being called the worst for the last few years..
    Now it's popular to bash Gearbox..

Naah, they just fucked up. Maybe this will bite them in the ass, maybe it won't, we'll see. But they are far from being the worst o_O
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Well, I thought Borderlands 1 & 2 were boring, and I didn't even play Colonial Marines. My opinion can't really go lower on the scale of "Don't care" without dropping off entirely.

If you want a more complete look at what happened then read this. http://kotaku.com/5986694/from-dream...lonial-marines

I for one think that the silence from both Gearbox and Sega says it all.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?