Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Power auras wasn't updated properly for MOP and when the old Cata build broke I changed over to weak auras. They really screwed the MOP launch I'm guessing most people did what I did.

also here is my WA setup on my Priest!

http://i.imgur.com/KQ5hrKa.jpg
    Last edited by Volitar; 2013-05-08 at 10:28 PM.
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    That is just a Fan Update with the bare minimum needed to get it functional under MoP.
    WeakAuras is still being developed actively, something I cannot say for certain is happening for PowerAuras.
    So you know that better, without trying it, then the current author.
    Last edited by Resike; 2013-05-11 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Resike View Post
    So you know that better, without trying it, then the current author.
    It has been stated by the author of the Fan Update that it was simply to get it functional under MoP.
    There have been no attempts to fix already existing bugs.
    I am simply repeating what they said themselves.

If anything, the main issue with WA is the lack of abundant tutorials or a concise wiki.
    Can you point me to some examples of good power auras tutorials?

Quote Originally Posted by evn View Post
    Can you point me to some examples of good power auras tutorials?
    I think PowerAuras has the advantage of being more established, and so having more pre-made exports already out there.
    There are not a lot of people doing a lot of content for either, your tutorials being some of the few really good ones I have seen.

Tx. If there's something that PAC has that people find useful I'll try and translate it for WA. I'm not the sort of guy that likes advertising so I don't do promotion of stuff I've done. People will find/link it on their own if it's good (or at least that's my take on it). I wonder if maybe I should write up some text articles similar to ones that were published for PAC to help spread out the information. Maybe people really dislike video and would prefer text and I'm not reaching them because I only do video.

Maybe make a "WA import string dumping ground" website would be useful. It seems like very few people actually use the 'official' repositories.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-05-11 at 04:00 PM.

WA is brilliant, its hands down one of the the best addons I use

Looks like they changed that then.
    They did state at one previous point that fixing the bugs was not the intent.
    I would assume that due to the official version now being MiA that they felt it was worth progressing on it, rather than it potentially being wasted.

Power auras offers some more in depth functionality on some very very specific things. For example, I want an aura to show only if both unholy runes are fully off cooldown. I actually need two auras linked together with a rather specific functionality to do that.

If you don't need those things, weak auras offers a lot more and there's no reason to touch power auras.

For example, I want an aura to show only if both unholy runes are fully off cooldown. I actually need two auras linked together with a rather specific functionality to do that.
    What's wrong with 2 triggers on a single aura?
    • Required for activation: All Triggers

Trigger 1:
      Type: Status
      Rune: Unholy Rune #1

Trigger 2:
      Type: Status
      Rune: Unholy Rune #2

Alternatively, you could just make a single trigger:
    • Type: Custom
      Event Type: Event
      Event(s): RUNE_POWER_UPDATE, RUNE_TYPE_UPDATE, PLAYER_ENTERING_WORLD, PLAYER_REGEN_DISABLED
      Custom Trigger: function() return (select(3, GetRuneCooldown(3)) and select(3, GetRuneCooldown(4))) end
      Hide: Custom
      Custom Untrigger: function() return not (select(3, GetRuneCooldown(3)) and select(3, GetRuneCooldown(4))) end

EDIT: I'm not sure why you'd do it with a single custom trigger as there's no advantage to it, but you could if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-05-13 at 04:39 AM.

Or, i just decided i'm gonna fix bugs, and add new features.

Deleted
    WA is so much better imo

well simple it can do everything that powa can do
    and complicated if you know how you can create whole UI in them
    When you do things right, people won’t be sure you’ve done anything at all ... Futurama-Godfellas

I highly doubt it can do everything than powa can, and i think it's applies backwards too, also not like you can't create a whole ui with powa.

But use whatever you would like.

Deleted
    I've been a long time power auras user. It was simple to work with, fast and I liked it. But ever since MoP hit it has been extremely broken and cpu intensive. So I tried WeakAuras - especially after having watched some demonstration videos on YouTube - and I love it. Unlike PowerAuras it feels like it was designed to do exactly what it does right now right from the start (whereas PA felt like it was put together with some bandages). It gives you a lot more power then powerauras, and, being an addon developer myself, supports Lua code which makes it's potential limitless. I could replace the buff frame if I wanted to, if I were really bored I could even turn my WeakAuras into a boss mod like DBM. It's that powerful.

As a previous PowerAuras-user the only thing you'll really need to notice is the "Icon" button of the "New"-section. Click that, add a trigger and you've got the same as PowerAuaras used to do. If you want WA to act like PowerAuras where it didn't show auras when dead, in a vehicle, resting or mounted then you need to add a second trigger, select type "status" and status "conditions" and toggle the checkboxes the way you want it. This is just the start of what you can do with WeakAuaras. Use it. Play with it. Love it.

I highly doubt it can do everything than powa can, and i think it's applies backwards too, also not like you can't create a whole ui with powa.
    Can you think of one example? It's one thing to doubt, but maybe that's a problem with not being particularly familiar with the tool.

Given that there are a few dozen places where you can plug Lua into weak auras it seems like just about anything you could do with an addon could be done with weak auras. I mean you could use the events to create frames, assign event handlers, etc. You shouldn't, because that's crazy - but you could.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I think it applies backwards too".

Things that seem difficult or impossible to do with Power Auras Classic:
    • Hooking arbitrary events like being in/out of range of spirit healers, visiting the bank, etc
    • Hooking function calls (like DBM scheduling a timer) and using those to fire an aura rather than just using combat / game events
    • Tracking stats: an aura that tracks how much friendly-fire damage you have caused during the course of an encounter
    • Auras that fire only during certain portions of an encounter (ie: during phase 2 of twlight council show me an aura that alerts me to missing grounded/flying buff depending on what the boss will cast next, but not during phase 1 and 3).
    • Auras that are active only in particular sub-zones (ie: one that shows health of an enemy flag carrier only in WSG when you're in your faction's base while holding the flag but not at mid-field.
    • moving your auras around on screen (ie: sorting them from 'most time left' to 'least time left' and insert new ones into the list as buffs/cooldowns occur
    • Progress bars
    • 3d models
    • events - when some aura triggers run some function - for example: someone on the forums created an aura that fired when the talent frame was displayed - that aura was able to reposition the talent frame on screen.
    • "auto clone". Creating an instance of an aura for every occurrence of some particular buff/debuff.
    Last edited by a21fa7c67f26f6d49a20c2c51; 2013-05-17 at 01:08 PM.

Can you think of one example? It's one thing to doubt, but maybe that's a problem with not being particularly familiar with the tool.

Well you can't make gradient colos for textures with WA, you cant change the texture z orientation, WA only supports 2 blend mode for textures while PA 5. You can't change the color of the icons, can't rotate icons, can't mirror icons.
    You cant filter buffs/debuffs by tooltip, makes buffs with same name impossible to differ. Cant mirror textures other then X symmetry. The performance of the animations way more weaker then in PA. The textures image quality is worst then in PA, while the file size and memory and cpu useage is way more heavier.

Given that there are a few dozen places where you can plug Lua into weak auras it seems like just about anything you could do with an addon could be done with weak auras. I mean you could use the events to create frames, assign event handlers, etc. You shouldn't, because that's crazy - but you could.

Well if you can code in lua, then you could do this with all addons, it's pretty much just an editbox in the addon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "I think it applies backwards too".

I mean for that i'm sure there is a lot of thins what WA can do and PA can't.

Things that seem difficult or impossible to do with Power Auras Classic:
    • Hooking arbitrary events like being in/out of range of spirit healers, visiting the bank, etc
      - I'm pretty sure 99% of the users would never use such a function.
    • Hooking function calls (like DBM scheduling a timer) and using those to fire an aura rather than just using combat / game events
      - Thats just like adding a line into the code, the question do i really want to support that?
    • Tracking stats: an aura that tracks how much friendly-fire damage you have caused during the course of an encounter
      - I don't get why would a texture manipulatior addon support that, but ok, Powa supports GTFO too.
    • Auras that fire only during certain portions of an encounter (ie: during phase 2 of twlight council show me an aura that alerts me to missing grounded/flying buff depending on what the boss will cast next, but not during phase 1 and 3).
      - I thinks it's way too handicapped if you need to remind PVE stuffs like that. But yeah PA doesn't support bossfights phases.
    • Auras that are active only in particular sub-zones (ie: one that shows health of an enemy flag carrier only in WSG when you're in your faction's base while holding the flag but not at mid-field.
      - You could do that with PA too, the problem is like more then 1MB memory to support that for all client languages. (Subzones.) And since i'm experienced with battleground stuff i can tell you the SubZones in WSG and TP are pretty much fucked up.
    • moving your auras around on screen (ie: sorting them from 'most time left' to 'least time left' and insert new ones into the list as buffs/cooldowns occur
    • Progress bars
      - Well thats pretty much a timer with some texture. And you can create both with PA.
    • 3d models
      - PA has that too now.
    • events - when some aura triggers run some function - for example: someone on the forums created an aura that fired when the talent frame was displayed - that aura was able to reposition the talent frame on screen.
      - Thats kids stuff to code too. But i think it's pointless.
    • "auto clone". Creating an instance of an aura for every occurrence of some particular buff/debuff.
      - I'm not sure what is this.
    Last edited by Resike; 2013-05-17 at 07:39 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    I was a long time PA user and had many custom textures etc. When PA came out with the new interface I hated it...still used it and worked through it but hated it. Then it just started to get frustrating and not working.

I was going ot move over to weak auras but I fell upon Raven.

I started to Use raven and never looked back.... with an ability to set up a priority system buff bar and show everything I needed to see form PA fast and be able to put elkanos buff bars and PA/WA in one mod I was sold!

You can see it in action in any of my bids on my youtybe chan in signature. I really REALLY love it and would sugest it to those maybe on the fense about to swap from one or the other!

Quote Originally Posted by Helltrixz View Post
    I've got two questions about weak auras, since I can't seem to do it with power auras.

1) Is it possible to make an aura based on targeting either party1 or party2?

2) If so, was weak auras working ok in wotlk 3.3.5?
    1. You can do that with PA, Activation by: "Unit Match" and then type "target/party1" or "target/party2" under below.

Import code:

Version:4.23; buffname:target/party1; bufftype:26; alpha:0.85; inVehicle:0; size:1; ismounted:0