Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Shadow] Which talents for which boss?

I guess i can figure most out once we get to the bosses, but being prepared is never a bad thing. Does anyone have a complete list with which talents would be better on which boss in ToT?
    Last edited by Martinussen; 2013-03-05 at 11:48 AM.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    Google HowToPriest and look up from Shadow Priest forums. Can't post any links yet as I'm new but I can post the list from there. Basicly you choose Divine Star over Halo for bosses where you have to move alot or need to stack near boss so Halo won't get it's full potential. Mindbender over FDCL for fights where burst is not needed or there's no multi-dotting like Stone Guard. ToF over DI when there's multiple execute phases like adds or Garalon's legs.

Mogu'shan Vaults

Stone Guard:
    FDCL, DI, Halo

Feng the Accursed:
    Mindbender, ToF, Divine Star

Gara'jal the Spiritbinder:
    Mindbender, ToF, Halo

The Spirit Kings:
    FDCL, ToF, Halo
    (Mindbender is better if you don't have to burst Pinning Arrows/Fixates too much)

Elegon:
    FDCL, ToF, Halo
    (Cascade may be better depending on your strategy)

Will of the Emperor:
    FDCL, ToF, Halo
    (Void Tendrils for adds)

Heart of Fear

Imperial Vizier Zor'lok
    FDCL, DI, Divine Star

Blade Lord Ta'yak
    MB, DI, Divine Star

Garalon
    FDCL, ToF, Divine Star

Wind Lord Mel'jarak
    MB, ToF, Halo

Amber-Shaper Un'sok
    MB, ToF, Cascade

Grand Empress
    MB, ToF, Halo

Terrace of Endless Spring

Protectors of the Endless
    FDCL, ToF, Halo
    (level 90 talents are strat based and will change depending on your job/position)

Tsulong
    MB, ToF, Cascade
    (Void Tendrils for adds)

Lei Shi
    FDCL, DI, Divine Star
    (Halo is really good for getting Lei Shi out of Hide, Psyfiend for adds)

Sha of Fear
    FDCL, ToF, Divine Star
    Last edited by mmocfaed50bdb6; 2013-03-04 at 11:48 PM.

well thanks, but i were sort of thinking of the bosses in ToT, not the 5.0 raids :P already know that list, but i were wondering if there were a new list floating around.

I should have mentioned i were talking about 5.2 though.
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you'll be successful"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsSC2vx7zFQ

Deleted
    Like he said.. on howtopriest.com

just look around the Shadowpriest part in Raids and dungeons.

• Jin'Rokh - SW:I / DI / Halo;
    • Horridon - FDCL / ToF / Halo;
    • Council of Elders - FDCL / ToF / Cascade;
    • Tortos - FDCL / ToF / Cascade;
    • Megaera - SW:I / DI / Divine Star ('cause you'll be in melee range);
    • Ji'Kun - SW:I / DI / Halo (depends on how often you go down, and how good your group's AoE is, Divine Star may be a viable choice);
    • Durumu - SW:I or Mindbender (really heavy movement in dark phase) / not sure, I went with DI 'cause SW:I. If you pick Mindbender PI may be a viable option / Halo or Divine Star (same reason as Mindbender).
    When you cried I'd wipe away all of your tears
    When you'd scream I'd fight away all of your fears
    And I held your hand through all of these years

Deleted
    cleared 5 bosses tonight;

-Jin'Rokh: used SW:I - PI - Halo. Should have used star instead, too much time in melee range.
    -Horridon: used SW:I - ToF - Cascade. Should have used bender, so much stuff to dot / AoE that I had no time to use SW:I until the last phase (which wasn't as long as I expected, wouldn't be able to use fdcl procs either.
    -Council of Elders: used Bender - ToF - Cascade. This setup worked pretty well. I imagine halo would be a good option also depending on positioning, our other spriest had good success with DI, think most things are viable here.
    -Tortos: used Bender - ToF - Cascade. Worked well. Insanity might be good also if you aren't AoEing. Halo might be good if you are AoEing.
    -Megaera: used SW:I / ToF / Star. Worked well, I imagine DI would work quite well but ToF kept proccing even after the head was gone. Insanity was good, lots of time to use it. Star cos melee range and the healing helped.

Reason I'm adding what I should of used; we didn't spend much time on the bosses. They were either 1shot or killed after a pretty high% wipe without seeing much of the fight.

just to clarify what I'll be using next week;
    • Jin'Rokh - SW:I / PI / Star
    • Horridon - Bender / ToF / Cascade
    • Council of Elders - Bender / ToF / Cascade
    • Tortos - Bender / ToF / Halo
    • Megaera - SW:I / ToF / Star

Cleared 5 already, here's my selection for each bosses:
    From what I learned:
    1. When using SWI, it's better to use DI with it
    2. FDCL isn't worth to spec into anymore, you're better off to use MB for adds fight.

•Jin'rokh the Breaker
    SWI, DI, Halo
    (use your SWI while in the water)

•Horridon
    MB, ToF, Casa
    (Unless your strat doesn't force you too much, Halo may be better if you can pull it off)

•Council of Elders
    SWI, DI, Halo

•Tortos
    MB, ToF, Casa
    (Casa only when the bats are out. The reason why I choose MB for this because too much GCD usage with the FDCL)

•Megaera
    SWI, DI, Halo
    (Even though there's a 2nd target available, there's no need to dot the 2nd target, it was better to just straight single dps)
    Last edited by buddhism; 2013-03-07 at 06:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Council of Elders -
    SWI-DI-Halo was pretty awesome to be honest, I imagine though Cascade would be more optimal with all the shit happening.
    I have to admit Insanity is quite good, albeit not for movement intensive fights.
    Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings.
    To resist the influence of others, knowledge of oneself is most important.

Deleted
    My list of talents:

Jin'rokh the Breaker - 160k (i got every fcking spark on this boss when i pop up cd -.-)
    SWI, PI, Halo
    (PI+SW:I in water - win win situation)

•Horridon - 278k
    SW:I, ToF, Halo
    (High ToF uptime - 61% on my kill, imo can be much higher and with SW:I on boss is absolutly mad, my highest tick on horridon was 432k <.< )

•Council of Elders 177k (first pull, i dont really know what was going on xd)
    SWI, ToF, Halo
    (I highly prefer ToF over DI for idiotic randomness of DI, with lua spirits every 30s we can keep rly hight uptime dots with tof on bosses)

•Tortos - 230k
    MB, ToF, Halo
    (I used SW:I on our kill, but its not very effective because of lot of movement you cant predict )

•Megaera -139k
    SWI, DI, Halo
    (Dot with SW:P 2nd head and destroy first one)

•Ji-Kun 133k
    SW:I, PI , Halo

•Durumu 110k (shit proc and 'oh, what is going on here" = low dps)
    FDCL , DI, Halo
    (Really high movement demands from us this talents )

•Primordius 205k (i died at ~20% boss)
    SW:I , ToF , Cascade
    (Cascade is imo much much better than halo here, SW:I for primoridus - dot up adds, use mb on cd, snipe sw;d sometimes and dots+sw;i on boss when you're in construct, or whatever its called)

•Dark Animus - 119k
    SW:I, PI , Cascade
    (We use zerg tactic, so PI and SW:I is really god, i dont really use 90lvl talents)

•Iron Quon - 95k - (ill die like idiot after we reach execute phase)
    SW:I + DI + Halo

•Twin Consort 137k
    SW:I + PI/DI + Halo
    I used PI on our kill but im not sure that DI will be better, because for some period we have both of bosses present. But... its in execute range so we have already a lot of Shadow Orbs, and utilizing DI procs will be problematic with MB/SW/MF:I/re-doting in same time. Atm imo PI will be better.

•Lei Shen
    SW:I + DI + Cascade
    Still im not sure with lvl90 talent, Cascade is better for sparks so i use it to see how it will be doing in heroic in future, halo probably is not too bad - imo its personal preference.

Ill edit this post and add last 3 bosses probobly tommorow. Sorry for bad english. Btw i got 515ilvl,Nemedís on BL EU
    Last edited by mmoc6597eb604d; 2013-03-16 at 05:33 PM. Reason: sorry for late edit >.> changed recomended talents for tortos

Deleted
    Hey Nemedis,

It's great to see your input here, as I've seen you are ranked very high on WoL

Since the nerf this week though, my DPS has dropped a fair bit - I'm talking about Horridon only as that's the fight we were progressing on. We're not the most progressive guild and neither am I a great Spriest, but I do like to try my best. We started progression on Tortos last night and what a fail, I argued that that fight is not an Spriest fight at all, then someone flaunted your parse/rank in my face

I see that about half of your damage was on the boss himself, then the next biggest damage was Mind Sear on the bats, with Halo too, followed by a much lower damage on the Tortoises, I'm guessing just by dotting. But it doesn't quite fit with your recommendations above i.e using SW:I - I'm guessing your recommendations are post nerf?

I'm put on the turtles and I just keep getting thrown around, so apart from SW:P and the odd gap where I have opportunity to Mind Flay the boss or Turtles, and occasionally, as I'm not assigned to them - the bats too, then I feel pretty much redundant on this fight

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by blgns View Post

•Durumu 110k (shit proc and 'oh, what is going on here" = low dps)
    FDCL , DI, Halo
    (Really high movement demands from us this talents )
    I'm just trying this boss, so nothing conclusive yet, but I dislike halo on this one, because the hit box is quite huge and it can add some movement in a fight that already has a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mzchief View Post
    Hey Nemedis,

Don't get me wrong, but ranking on WoL has almost nothing to do with playing a SP properly. Rather just look at your own WoL's and try to figure out what you're doing wrong.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by veiledy0 View Post
    Don't get me wrong, but ranking on WoL has almost nothing to do with playing a SP properly. Rather just look at your own WoL's and try to figure out what you're doing wrong.
    Our RL compares me with top ranked Spriests, so what he says actually does matter to me. I look at high ranked Spriests to see their choice of talents, buffs cast, uptimes etc, to compare with my own, to see where I might improve.

So I do look at my own WoL's and try figure out where I'm going wrong. But I also thought there was no harm in asking here.

Our RL compares me with top ranked Spriests, so what he says actually does matter to me. I look at high ranked Spriests to see their choice of talents, buffs cast, uptimes etc, to compare with my own, to see where I might improve.

So I do look at my own WoL's and try figure out where I'm going wrong. But I also thought there was no harm in asking here.
    My point was that WoL ranks are obtained rather by cheesing/whoring, than playing properly. For example, it is a well known fact among world's top guilds that Method has the most capable DPS'ers in the world, by far, but you will never (not just during the world first race, while their WoL's are hidden) see any of them rank even amongst top 100, as they will always prioritize nuking what poses a greater threat to the raid, rather than doing the stuff mentioned above that gets you WoL ranks, because that's how bosses are supposed to be killed in this game.

Deleted
    Hey Nemedis,

Since the nerf this week though, my DPS has dropped a fair bit - I'm talking about Horridon only as that's the fight we were progressing on. We're not the most progressive guild and neither am I a great Spriest, but I do like to try my best. We started progression on Tortos last night and what a fail, I argued that that fight is not an Spriest fight at all, then someone flaunted your parse/rank in my face

I see that about half of your damage was on the boss himself, then the next biggest damage was Mind Sear on the bats, with Halo too, followed by a much lower damage on the Tortoises, I'm guessing just by dotting. But it doesn't quite fit with your recommendations above i.e using SW:I - I'm guessing your recommendations are post nerf?

I'm put on the turtles and I just keep getting thrown around, so apart from SW:P and the odd gap where I have opportunity to Mind Flay the boss or Turtles, and occasionally, as I'm not assigned to them - the bats too, then I feel pretty much redundant on this fight

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks
    Tortos is an amazing fight for spriests. Extremely high uptime on ToF, lots of shit to dot and ae. I use bender/tof/halo in this fight and in the 2 kills so far i was around 180-200k if i remember correctly. Could do way more by whoring the bats, but ranged are assigned to turtles so i dont get to go on bats until turtles are down, and so i lose allot of potential mind sear dps. If your RL values meter whoring, halo and mind sear as soon as the bats spawn will do wonders for you. Try to keep ToF to max, use bender on boss and redot him, same with turtles.

If you are assigned to turtles, np, dot them, nuke the marked one if you do that, kill the others, then see what you can get off bats, switch to tortos until next wave of turtles. No way to do bad on this fight, however you decide to play it.

As for the other fights, the topics about them on the raids section of howtopriest are very insightful. but also use your own judgement and see what your particular strategy on said boss is and your particular assignment. On durumu if you get on the blue beam SWI works best - and you should work to convince your RL to put you on the blue -, DI is a must also for the moving phase. If you get on the red maybe fdcl is better.
    Last edited by mmoca9de240637; 2013-03-16 at 03:50 PM.

Deleted
    My point was that WoL ranks are obtained rather by cheesing/whoring, than playing properly. For example, it is a well known fact among world's top guilds that Method has the most capable DPS'ers in the world, by far, but you will never (not just during the world first race, while their WoL's are hidden) see any of them rank even amongst top 100, as they will always prioritize nuking what poses a greater threat to the raid, rather than doing the stuff mentioned above that gets you WoL ranks, because that's how bosses are supposed to be killed in this game.
    Yes I do understand that. I'm trying to get some advice here is all, so that I can explain to my RL why I'm not able to achieve DPS anywhere near the top ranks in WoL (obv things aside, like ilvl and player skill). He's a smart guy and I'm sure he knows this already. I'm struggling on what talents are best for Tortos. I've searched about as pre 5.2 I had bookmarked a thread on H2P which "advised" which talents were best. I was looking for something similar and found this thread.

I was thrilled to see that someone had already put some best choices advice here and decided to look into the WoL and see how those talents worked for Nemedis. But I find his biggest damage is "other" followed by Mind Seer, obviously on the bats and then SW:P, but I don't find SW:I featured in WoL. I also see that he did little damage on the Turtles, I suspect just SW:P perhaps? I don't know, this is why I'm asking and referring to WoL. Unfortunately I'm instructed to stay on Turtles and as we have only just started progressing, I'm finding that extremely hard. I try to stay at the back of the cave with other range DPS, but find that with so much movement, I'm hardly able to use PW:I just now, I'm lucky to just get SW:P and VT on the turtles before I need to move again. If I was more familiar with the fight and talents, I wouldn't be posting here, asking questions.

Deleted
    If you are on turtles there is no way to get time to use swi, you cant just sit 6 seconds, the turtles will throw you back, the blue circles require movement. Bender is ideal as i said above. Halo does allot of dmg if you use it when bats spawn, you can get one every time they do. I explained in my previous post how i do it, also on turtle duty.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by ptz View Post
    Tortos is an amazing fight for spriests. Extremely high uptime on ToF, lots of shit to dot and ae. I use bender/tof/halo in this fight and in the 2 kills so far i was around 180-200k if i remember correctly. Could do way more by whoring the bats, but ranged are assigned to turtles so i dont get to go on bats until turtles are down, and so i lose allot of potential mind sear dps. If your RL values meter whoring, halo and mind sear as soon as the bats spawn will do wonders for you. Try to keep ToF to max, use bender on boss and redot him, same with turtles.

If you are assigned to turtles, np, dot them, nuke the marked one if you do that, kill the others, then see what you can get off bats, switch to tortos until next wave of turtles. No way to do bad on this fight, however you decide to play it.

As for the other fights, the topics about them on the raids section of howtopriest are very insightful. but also use your own judgement and see what your particular strategy on said boss is and your particular assignment. On durumu if you get on the blue beam SWI works best - and you should work to convince your RL to put you on the blue -, DI is a must also for the moving phase. If you get on the red maybe fdcl is better.
    Thanks Ptz for the advice!

I had just posted my previous post *before* I saw this one. I need some practice clearly as now, both you and my RL think I should be amazing on this fight!

I tried a few combinations of talents, but from what you're saying here, I can see MB/ToF definately working. Halo I'm unsure of as I do have to move around an awful lot. Maybe that will change as I learn the fight and can position myself better for using Halo. And same as you, I can't touch the bats until the turtles are down.

Much appreciated. I'll keep an eye on this thread to hopefully find some more tips for the new fights.

Deleted
    well i usually pick the left side, since bats spawn on the right and just try to keep the good halo distance from them, halopro doesnt really help me since i am on turtles and they move around, im just guessing more or less the optimal distance. You could use cascade and bounce it off tortos, but if you keep to the left side you will usually get more damage with halo then you would with cascade. Its not a fightbreaker by any means tho.

Deleted
    100% agree ^^ On first week of normals we honestly dont really care about tactics or whatever, just steamroll (less or more effective) bosses and whoring (as you said ;d) meters on some bosses. Tortos is the best example, i dont really care much about turtles because they're dying like snowmans in hell, Megaera too, maybe Horridon - i can get more dmg on adds instead of boss but it wasnt even required.

Yes I do understand that. I'm trying to get some advice here is all, so that I can explain to my RL why I'm not able to achieve DPS anywhere near the top ranks in WoL (obv things aside, like ilvl and player skill). He's a smart guy and I'm sure he knows this already.
    Top rankings are far far away from reality ;p When i search for satisfactory dps for individual boss i look for 20-40-60 places, ofc you need to include(?) your ilvl and strategy, and then you can get something meaningful.

I was thrilled to see that someone had already put some best choices advice here and decided to look into the WoL and see how those talents worked for Nemedis. But I find his biggest damage is "other" followed by Mind Seer, obviously on the bats and then SW:P, but I don't find SW:I featured in WoL. I also see that he did little damage on the Turtles, I suspect just SW:P perhaps? I don't know, this is why I'm asking and referring to WoL. Unfortunately I'm instructed to stay on Turtles and as we have only just started progressing, I'm finding that extremely hard. I try to stay at the back of the cave with other range DPS, but find that with so much movement, I'm hardly able to use PW:I just now, I'm lucky to just get SW:P and VT on the turtles before I need to move again. If I was more familiar with the fight and talents, I wouldn't be posting here, asking questions.
    After some thoughts on this boss - Mindbender will be better for this fight. There is a lot of unexpected movement so channeling SW:I is really difficult (after some heroic progresion with that talent i must admit that maybe 30-40% of all SW:I will be effective in something like 90%). If you want get turtles low relly quick then for first round of turtles just focus on one, ignore rest and get him down with others dps, then kill remaining. For next waves of turtles just dot them all with VT and SW:P and then focus on one assigned to kill first. Remember about refreshing dots on Tortos. Most time which you spend on running should be used on throwing sw;p on multiple target (its better to refresh sw;p on Tortos and turtles even if it have 10+ s to the end than doing anything). One thing is really important - in most cases when you are running and avoiding turtles and rockfall you need to move just by few steps - its one gcd or even less, so its looking like - casting something -move+throw sw;p - again casting something.
    Positioning on this fight is really easy and extremely difficutly in same time - you can stand whenever you want because excluding bats (Fade for each wave) there is nothing to be afraid of (moving from rockfall is obviously included) but you need to observe rolling turtles for whole time.
    If you have troubles with effectivly using halo take cascade - it will be better for turtles and your time managment because you dont need to use it so carefully on optimal range, because it will affect only first bolt with one charge (btw good alternative for HaloPro is RangeCheck addon, it show only number without any graphic additonals, i highly prefered using it).
    At the end you said you rl is smart guy,but he must remember about that more specific is your task than less dmg overall you will get. If you are heavilly attached to downing turtles dps will be not the highest.

Its best you can get from me what you can get because ilvl of whole raid group determines tactic in huge way Probably someone who spend more on this boss will be more helpful. Ptz has some good tips