Deleted

Raiding mage - help needed!

Hi everyone,

Little backstory: I've been playing a mage as a main for about a year now. Actually, have been playing the game for a year and my mage has always been my main. Having said that, I've looked into a few raiding guilds on my server. Went from a realm rank 40 guild to a realm rank 3 guild and everthing in between. Never really found my home. A few months ago, I decided to start a guild with a friend of mine to solve this issue. By now, we've gotten into a bit of raiding. Very casual. Normal modes are challenging enough for us, as a point of reference.

On to the matter at hand: As with any guild, we always try to progress and focus on getting kills. In order to do this, I'm trying to find a good balance between motivating people to minmax, and being a relaxed RL and GM. And what better way to motivate our DPS than for them to get their ass handed to them by me on numbers, right?

With that in mind, I'd like to optimize my style of play. I'm currently geared at an ilvl of 491, and my armory can be found here. I've been running logs of our latest few runs, and I was there for nearly all of them. Our logs can be found here. (As a side note, our run on march 1 was filled with pugs and trial members, and was an absolute hell. We called it early as to not waste one of our members' locks past garalon. I'm sure the frustration is reflected in my playstyle.)

On to the burning questions: (Please keep in mind that this is for a very casual normalmode raiding guild. I'm in no way trying to get ranked or w/e.)

Glyphs: How am I performing, and what should I change? Are certain glyphs fight-specific?
    Reforges: How is my reforging atm? - I've been using the 3059 (or something along those lines) haste cap, and forging everything else into mastery after being hit capped.
    Gemming: How is my gemming atm? - Since the massive CM nerf I've basically been doing anything to get a higher crit. I'm skipping a few socket bonuses because of this. Hell, I have more crit than int gemmed. Is this.. bad?
    Rotation: How am I performing my role as a fire mage, rotation wise? - I feel I use scorch too much. I never got the 'apply CM with scorch' theory out of my brain, and I fear I may be using it way too much. Other than that, I feel my invoker's energy uptime is rather low on most fights. I've set up an aura with a big ass icon to show me if it's up or not (and a sound when it runs out), but to no avail apparently.

All and any tips are greatly appreciated. Don't worry, it's impossible to hurt my feelings (to a certain extent, lol). I'll value any and all feedback greatly.

Thanks a million!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Rotation: How am I performing my role as a fire mage, rotation wise? - I feel I use scorch too much. I never got the 'apply CM with scorch' theory out of my brain, and I fear I may be using it way too much.
    i don't use scorch at all, never over pom. even with scorch being added to fire baseline, still try to not use it unless you have nothing else to cast on the move... still limit your movement as much as you possibly can.

Deleted
    Thanks for your reply Elpadrino293. I really do tend to use it wayyy too much. Every now and then on a dungeon pull or whatever I see my scorch as being one of the top three damaging moves. There's no excuse for that. >.< I tend to use it to fish for procs sometimes, but... that shouldn't justify my usage.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 07:42 AM ----------

Bit of a sadface thing going now. Hoping to get a few more replies today.

Deleted
    Well i couldnt help you since i'm arcane so there's not point in me answering.

But using scorch to much is a big big dps loss.

You really don't need to use scorch at all !

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Itsredd View Post
    Hi everyone,

-snip-

Glyphs: How am I performing, and what should I change? Are certain glyphs fight-specific?
    Reforges: How is my reforging atm? - I've been using the 3059 (or something along those lines) haste cap, and forging everything else into mastery after being hit capped.
    Gemming: How is my gemming atm? - Since the massive CM nerf I've basically been doing anything to get a higher crit. I'm skipping a few socket bonuses because of this. Hell, I have more crit than int gemmed. Is this.. bad?
    Rotation: How am I performing my role as a fire mage, rotation wise? - I feel I use scorch too much. I never got the 'apply CM with scorch' theory out of my brain, and I fear I may be using it way too much. Other than that, I feel my invoker's energy uptime is rather low on most fights. I've set up an aura with a big ass icon to show me if it's up or not (and a sound when it runs out), but to no avail apparently.

All and any tips are greatly appreciated. Don't worry, it's impossible to hurt my feelings (to a certain extent, lol). I'll value any and all feedback greatly.

Thanks a million!
    So Hi there!
    You mention the CM nerf so I'm assuming you are fire, and you are gemming crit (good) so I'm going to also let that be a confirmation.
    Why are you reforging to full mastery as stated above if you are gemming for crit? On my mage, which should be slightly different than yours, the stat weight of crit:int is approx. .8:1 or in other words 1 crit is worth .8 of 1 int. So since you can gem 2x secondary stats, one full crit gem is worth 1.6x what one full int gem would be worth.

Remember this is simulations for my mage and not yours, but for fire this will hold pretty constant through all gear levels. Crit is god.
    Make sure you are at or slightly below hit cap, whichever your play style prefers. I like to be at about 14.75% hit personally.

Use AskMrRobot.com for your reforges and gearing help. It isn't the end all be all, but you said you are casual and it has amazingly helpful tools there.

Quit scorching so much I still have it, and I use it when I have to, but if you are going to fish for procs, do it with fireball. only use scorch if you have to. In most normal mode encounters you should be able to stand still for a good portion of every fight. Fireballs and Pyro!s FTW!

Good luck