Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Striipes View Post
    What a fucking stupid term.
    Implying it wasn't supposed to be stupid. Happy to see other NC fans around here though, but can't surprisingly I can't think of any moments in Warcraft right now.

this thread is a big lipped alligator moment

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by wariofan1 View Post
    Implying it wasn't supposed to be stupid. Happy to see other NC fans around here though, but can't surprisingly I can't think of any moments in Warcraft right now.
    It was intended to be "funny stupid". It's not. It's just fucking stupid. And mildly racist, though that's a whole other deal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Two Big-Lipped Alligator moments :

1. DEHTA in Borean Tundra : they have no baring on the story, you even join Nessingwary in Sholazar even though you murdered a few of his associates and you never hear from them again.

2. That feud between Oracles and Whatstherenames : totally useless in the story of the world and even Sholazar. I never got myself to complete all the quests.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 02:22 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Phookah View Post
    It was intended to be "funny stupid". It's not. It's just fucking stupid. And mildly racist, though that's a whole other deal.
    Racist? How? Was that a prejudice against all the green men in America?
    "Je vous répondrai par la bouche de mes canons!"

Certain wedding moment...

And unlike Plants vs. Zombies reference, it is permanently engraved in lore as another random shit stain.

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixdown View Post
    Well, they had planned to make it some kind of daily quest, but that plan fell through.
    Last time I flew over Brazie, a couple days ago, the blue exclamation point was back.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    Certain wedding moment...

And unlike Plants vs. Zombies reference, it is permanently engraved in lore as another random shit stain.
    well then its not a BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT then.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    well then its not a BIG LIPPED ALLIGATOR MOMENT then.

- Something that appears out of nowhere
    - It offers no value or purpose to the story
    - Is never spoken of again after

Yep, fits your definition.

This thread demonstrates most people don't know the difference between "things I don't like" and "big lipped alligator moments".

I'm not sure you can really apply BLAMs to WoW, since many parts of the game are frozen in time. Makes it hard to tell if events were important and had consequences or were actual BLAMs.

The only BLAM I can think of is the 3 guys telling tall tales in the badlands, and that's 3 guys trying to top each others tall tales, it's a fun side-quest that isn't supposed to go anywhere.

I don't think the Stormstout Brewery counts, since it's the logical end of Chen's entire quest line, which is lighthearted from the very beginning.[COLOR="red"]

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 09:38 PM ----------

Edit: Thinking of the wrong wedding scene. Still disagree with Verdugo, for the same reasons as Trassk.
    Last edited by Darmalus; 2013-03-05 at 09:43 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verdugo View Post
    - Something that appears out of nowhere
    - It offers no value or purpose to the story
    - Is never spoken of again after

Yep, fits your definition.
    given, it does appear out of nowhere. mark 1
    It offers no purpose to the story? Well it does, its narrative to Thralls journey as he progresses. Infact it plays to the talk Thrall had with eitrigg once about settling down and finding a wife and having a family.
    And people are still speaking about it opening, so its not forgotten.

Ithink they mean the wildhammer wedding in Twilight Highlands. Or potentially the very 'human' wedding of Malfurion and Tyrande.

This is what happens when you have a Thrall-centric world.
    Twas brillig

Trassk is a Nostalgia Critic fanboy? Why isn't that surprising.

Pointless thread is pointless.

Everyone saying that holograms have never been used in WoW before has obviously never played a draenei: http://www.wowhead.com/quest=9312

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar View Post

And apparently for some people satirical fun is pointless.

If you haven't got anything worthwhile to add to this don't bloody bother, you can see people actually thinking of good examples of BLAM where as the rest aren't even trying and just coming with 'oh this is so pointless', your posting is the only pointless thing on a thread I made for a laugh.

Wait, what wedding? If you mean the Wildhammer one in Twilight Highlands that wasn't a BLAM. If you mean Thrall and Aggra, it wasn't either. Sure, Thrall's story hijacked the whole 're birthing Nordrassil' story, but it wasn't a BLAM.

DHETA is the best example I can think of that's been listed, since they had no build up, and have not been acknowledged in lore since then. Not even sure they can be considered canon.

I almost want to say Cookie in Deadmines but don't think that really counts, he's just a silly boss fight rather than BLAM.

I can't really think of anything else off hand.

---------- Post added 2013-03-05 at 06:33 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar View Post

There are many threads on this forum that are far more pointless than this. Even if you don't like the term used, it's still an interesting trope to examine.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Kinda feel that way about all of Stormstout Brewery.
    QFT !

I remember the first time someone told me about MoP.
    "So, I went through that instance with the giant rabbit boss that spews carrot juice on the party..."
    "Dafuq did I just hear."

Quote Originally Posted by Sealed View Post
    QFT !

I remember the first time someone told me about MoP.
    "So, I went through that instance with the giant rabbit boss that spews carrot juice on the party..."
    "Dafuq did I just hear."
    I wouldn't call Stormstout Brewery a BLAM because it fits perfectly into the context of its zone, Valley of the Four Winds. Now one could say that Valley is itself a Big Lipped Alligator Zone, as it is much more lightheardted overall than any other zone in Pandaria, but even then it's too long to be considered a simple moment.

So we're getting mad at the existence of sidequests now?

The example the OP linked is a complete story by itself, not the Nostalgia Critic term he is trying to attribute to WoW. A valiant effort, but still a failure.

No cookie for you.

PS: This term is yet another sad example of scaring, binding, and influencing storytellers and creators, which comes from a critic, which is a surplus thing.
    Last edited by Malcho; 2013-03-06 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral View Post
    So we're getting mad at the existence of sidequests now?
    I don't think anybody's getting mad over this.