Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

[Arcane] Doesnt seem that bad!!

Hello guys!!
    So, I love arcane spec.. and I was testing whole time at PTR and I realized that our mana was falling down too easy, dmg not so good and bad proc chance of arcane missels..
    So 5.2 was released and I noticed that Arcane doesnt seem to be that bad!!
    Is still viable YET..
    Idk about the raid.. but
    What u think about it?

Deleted
    It's a viable spec for LFR, that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lei Shi View Post
    It's a viable spec for LFR, that's all.
    Have you done normal and heroic mode to say it? Calm down

I'm afraid nobody is going to take this topic particularly seriously until you provide some numbers rather than "I feel like this is ok"

Just go with simcraft, you think like 9% nerf to one skill is 9% overall or something? It's a top spec for mages, still.

Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    I'm afraid nobody is going to take this topic particularly seriously until you provide some numbers rather than "I feel like this is ok"
    The trouble is that Arcane was on top...
    The nerf wont put us on bottom... this would happen if arcane wasn't a good spec in 5.1
    Arcane was one of the top 3 DPS specs.. so 23% nerf dont KILL us.. got it?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think we know that Arcane sims out decent...on patchwerk fights. Looking at the first three bosses alone, I dont see that kind of fight. I believe that's why people are looking at other specs, I know that's one reason why I am.
    Playing
    WildStar -Mechari Medic, Draken Stalker
    Diablo: RoS
    GW2 - Ranger

Frost got buffed, but single target still sucks...
    So, Fire is a hybrid one..
    Arcane got nerfed...

We all need to respec, or start to use a second spec slot, aint...

Quote Originally Posted by Bemlikanz View Post
    The trouble is that Arcane was on top...
    The nerf wont put us on bottom... this would happen if arcane wasn't a good spec in 5.1
    Arcane was one of the top 3 DPS specs.. so 23% nerf dont KILL us.. got it?
    So you don't go by numbers at all, but rather your own assumptions...?
    Still wondering why I play this game.
    I'm a Rogue and I also made a spreadsheet for the Order Hall that is updated for BfA.

As always your mileage may vary. I don't know about your gear, your play, etc etc, but as one data point for me in extremely brief target dummy testing in normal mode gear stacked with mastery, I was able to do better dps as _frost_ that I was as arcane. And that was with me having forgotten to switch back to the IL glyph, so arcane was cleaving while frost was not. And that's before considering having to move.

So if it is working for you, that's great. I'm glad your setup is working better for you than my setup was for me. But I'd gone into the night figuring I'd start out as arcane and see how it went and I ended the night with gear regemmed/reforged for frost.

So now that the patch is out it's easy enough to go test for yourself on live. If you find what works for you, who cares what we say!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bemlikanz View Post
    Frost got buffed, but single target still sucks...
    So, Fire is a hybrid one..
    Arcane got nerfed...

We all need to respec, or start to use a second spec slot, aint...
    Listen pal, I don't know who you are or what did/do you raid and who do you raid it with, but from my PTR testing I can safely say Arcane is the lowest, most useless piece of crap you can spec into in this game right now.

I'll be surprised if I don't get raped on dps by at least 20% by our Affliction lock that is 10ilvl below me in tonight's raid.
    Last edited by Xzan; 2013-03-06 at 05:43 AM.

I was #2 dps on our Jin'rokh kill tonight.. Probably just the 40% damage buff gimmick. I agree with the op, it's not "that bad". Even on trash and our horrid on attempts. Building 2xAM port AT is a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Valium104 View Post
    Just go with simcraft, you think like 9% nerf to one skill is 9% overall or something? It's a top spec for mages, still.
    Did you read the patch notes?

Arcane
    • For Arcane Mages, Evocation now restores 40% (was 60%) of total mana over 6 seconds, and consumes all Arcane Charge. For each Arcane Charge consumed, the total amount of mana regenerated is increased by 10%, up to a maximum of 80% over 6 seconds. Evocation remains the same for Fire and Frost.
    • Arcane Blast damage has been reduced by 22.9% and mana cost has been increased to 1.66667% of base mana (was 1.5%).
    • Arcane Missile's damage has been reduced by 22.1%.
    • Arcane Barrage damage has been reduced by 16.1%.
    • Arcane Charge now stacks up to 4 times (was 6), increases damage by 50% (was 25%), and increases mana cost by 150% (was 75%)
    That's a lot more than 9% nerf to one skill.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Listen pal, I don't know who you are or what did/do you raid and who do you raid it with, but from my PTR testing I can safely say Arcane is the lowest, most useless piece of crap you can spec into in this game right now.

I'll be surprised if I don't get raped on dps by at least 20% by our Affliction lock that is 10ilvl below me in tonight's raid.
    co-signed from a mage in 511 gear

(in any spec I play) and its not a skill issue, all four of us mages will be. And the first person to post those PoS BiS Simcrafts as a counter arguement while we are at the START of the tier derserves a /boggle.
    Last edited by Metaz; 2013-03-06 at 07:00 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yup, good luck getting into that BiS any time soon if you're getting benched until the content is on farm ;D

*twiddles thumbs waiting to get upgrades in LFR*

It's not about % reduction on AB, ABarr or AM. It's about a change to the way the spec is played.

No Scorch weaving means we can't be at 90%+ mana all the time utilizing 50-60% dmg increase through the entire fight thanks to mastery all the while having max AB and AM damage through 6stacks at all times.

Now there is no charge camping. We plow through our mana in a second which lowers the value of mastery immensely. We are forced to clear our stacks and rebuild them over and over. Yeah, it's 4max stacks now but much more mana per max stack AB cast then before which means that while on max stacks you will only be able to utilize one or two AB cast before being forced to clear them through Evo or ABarr.

Fishing for AM procs is much harder now considering the fact that we have no short cast as Scorch and we are forced to use AB and AM to fish an AM. It's so "fun and engaging" trying to get that second, or even first AM in our opening burst. So Arcane, as a spec, was more or less gutted by the lack of proper direction in spec balancing.

I don't like comparing specs but this one warrants it. Affliction was on par with Arcane and they got a % nerf through Sac. On the other hand we got even more of a nerf through abilities and on top of that a gigantic nerf to the actual way the spec is played making it borderline useless. I really don't know what to think about this.
    Last edited by Fichek; 2013-03-06 at 08:16 AM.

Yeah I was wondering 2 rotations:

1- Arcane Haste
    ABx3 .. .then cast missels whenever it procs.. Keep casting AB until a X mana and get evocation to kill charges and restore mana.
    2- Arcane Mastery
    What we already know.. AB x4 (x3 if u are losing mana) missels if it procs and barrage.

You can mix it, having a brust with invocation that should be used to refresh Invocation buff, and a regular rotation to a massive barrage damage

15+ Year Old Account
    Invocation itself devalues mastery quite a lot. Invo haste build where you burn mana and Invocate frequently actually yielded less dps than 4x AB + AM procs + ABr routine regardless of which of the other two lvl90 talents I picked.

It's kinda sad what happened to the spec. Blizzard didn't like how we played Arcane so they changed it into this. And frankly, I am not sure what am I supposed to like about it's current form.

Quote Originally Posted by Xzan View Post
    Invocation itself devalues mastery quite a lot. Invo haste build where you burn mana and Invocate frequently actually yielded less dps than 4x AB + AM procs + ABr routine regardless of which of the other two lvl90 talents I picked.

It's kinda sad what happened to the spec. Blizzard didn't like how we played Arcane so they changed it into this. And frankly, I am not sure what am I supposed to like about it's current form.
    Nothing. You are supposed to spec frost or fire. Nothing more to it.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yea I was under the same impression...