Page 5 of 34 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsy View Post
    For you guys that already did the fight , my raid group is only around 485-490 ilvl at the moment , should we even consider even trying this guy or just save it for later and get some more gear?
    If you're 490 ilvl because you only completed half the normals in t14, you will probably have trouble with the raid coordination and skill required. As has been said, the gear requirement is really not high, you just have to control the adds to reduce raid damage.

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    If you're 490 ilvl because you only completed half the normals in t14, you will probably have trouble with the raid coordination and skill required. As has been said, the gear requirement is really not high, you just have to control the adds to reduce raid damage.
    We were able to complete most of the T14 normals before this patch , though we have only recently started raiding. If we had another week or two we could have completed it all pretty much. I just don't want to waste a whole raid night on Horridon , having no chance just because we are too low geared. So considering correct execution , is it possible to get atleast three bosses down with 490~ gear level?
    Last edited by Xsy; 2013-03-06 at 02:04 PM.
    1001 0111 0011 0111 1000 0101

Quote Originally Posted by Xsy View Post
    We were able to complete most of the T14 normals before this patch , though we have only recently started raiding. If we had another week or two we could have completed it all pretty much. I just don't want to waste a whole raid night on Horridon , having no chance just because we are too low geared. So considering correct execution , is it possible to get atleast three bosses down with 490~ gear level?
    It's possible for sure, but it'll be hard. We brute forced it in about 505 average iLvl and it felt fine, but I can see how the adds abilities could really get out of hand for a lesser geared group. As the adds keep coming in waves and you have to focus damage on the dinomancer add you can fall behind fast, and then suddenly you've just got too many bleeds/poisions/diseases to deal with. Once you get the adds down its gg though, can't wipe basically.

Maybe not so over tuned....

After 2 shotting the first we wiped the remaining 3 hours on Horridon, and my initial reaction was the "over tuned" mentality. After some research I feel better about tonight's raid. While we were trying to set up interrupts for the Venom Priests I feel we might have been getting caught up in the craziness of the add spawn rate.

My question is are people 3 healing or 2 healing this fight? It was a debate we were having during our initial pulls and given the issues with the poison debuffs we opted to 2 heal the rest of our attempts. What did you (who downed Horridon) find was the best comp? Additionally, an again in regards to the poison, did you find that NO poison got off or is that unrealistic? I'd like to know better what SHOULD happen rather than what I'm seeing happen. I appreciate everyone's help!

Quote Originally Posted by dennisdkramer View Post
    Not true at all. My guild went 10/16H and a lot of us are between 490 and 500. We only raid twice a week and often extend lockouts to do attempts on the later bosses in an instance. Gear =\= skill.

I'd say go for it if you're around 490.

Quote Originally Posted by Forumchibi View Post
    Has anyone killed this yet? First boss was not so bad once you knew the mechanics, trash on the bridge was a pain, this boss though is just a massacre.

Made it to the third door only once in 3 hours of attempts, lots of wipes on the second door. Just seems like the spam rates are too fast, making the debuffs and all the overall damage come too quickly.
    Pretty much the same boat we were in. Running holy pally + resto shaman we just could not dispel enough, and rolling dispels every 8 seconds is pretty hellish on mana consumption to begin with. The best attempt we had was to just run a lot of cd's through the gurubashi (poison) door and dispel after the priests died, but at that point, we were so drained going into the 3rd door while people were still taking poison damage that we couldn't do anything to stop diseases wiping us.

I won't go so far as to say the fight is overtuned this early in progression, but I felt like without a priest in the raid (and we didn't have one) we probably don't have much hope of downing this guy for a while, and that's a little disappointing. I will say this is the first fight in a long time where I've felt like I've done everything I can do as a healer and still come up woefully short of the mark. Previous progression bosses, it always came down to either I had to manage my mana better or time cd's better or maybe something as simple as the raid avoiding more damage. Horridon just gave me the feeling that I can't do anything to get us through it.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrea View Post
    I'm not wiping on the boss - I completed the encounter. I'm in ilvl 510-517 gear, as is the rest of my raid, and we overgear it.
    So does everyone else saying it's easy. That's my point.

The people who don't overgear it, however, are having difficulty - and they aren't wrong. Again, it is only an easy boss if you overgear it.

It's not a DPS check per se, but having higher item level gear does allow you to burn down adds which, in my view, have too much health for a normal mode encounter, and do too much damage if you miss something as simple as a single interrupt.
    We cleared it on 10man with 2 groups, both a mixture of mains/alts. The alts are not geared at all compared to the mains. It isn't hard if you know how the encounter works:

- Tank positioning for both Horridon and adds
    - Kill Priority on adds
    - Interrupts assigned
    - Single dispells used
    - Proper cooldown usage
    - Smart people that can figure out how not to stand in stuff and take unnecessary damage.

While I agree that the add health may be a little high, it is not overtuned at all since our 1st group 1 shot him, our 2nd group 2 shot only because we had 3 dc's at the same time on 1st attempt.

Sig made by Shyama. Click sig for current Warlock armory.

Our guild was making solid progress on it, and I feel like most serious guilds will be able to down it after one or two more nights of progression.

Kill priority, interrupt dino, interrupt high damage stuff/poison volley, aim double swipe, don't stand in death things, EVERY healer contributes to dispels.

Quote Originally Posted by Yau View Post
    Not true at all. My guild went 10/16H and a lot of us are between 490 and 500. We only raid twice a week and often extend lockouts to do attempts on the later bosses in an instance. Gear =\= skill.

I'd say go for it if you're around 490.
    what you said didn't contradict what I said, so I dont know what you're trying to say isnt true :P

I basically said if they're 490 because they're bad, it will be hard; implying that if they're 490 because they just started raiding or are on alts, they'll be fine, since its all about skill on that fight

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 10:20 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gynshon View Post
    The alts are not geared at all compared to the mains.
    For the record your alts are probably more geared than 90% of people who post here I wonder if you'll have any competition for server first this tier

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 10:22 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Fftide04 View Post
    My question is are people 3 healing or 2 healing this fight? It was a debate we were having during our initial pulls and given the issues with the poison debuffs we opted to 2 heal the rest of our attempts. What did you (who downed Horridon) find was the best comp? Additionally, an again in regards to the poison, did you find that NO poison got off or is that unrealistic? I'd like to know better what SHOULD happen rather than what I'm seeing happen. I appreciate everyone's help!
    Its definitely 2 healable, we opted to 3 heal it and brute-force our way through the debuffs instead of interrupting/controlling them properly. About half of my mana was spent on dispelling, and we had about 3 poison volleys (maybe more) get off on our kill, although once all the adds died our monk used revival to clear all the debuffs at once.
    Last edited by dennisdkramer; 2013-03-06 at 03:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    We spent a solid 3 hours on Horridon and made progress everytime. I don't think the boss is overtuned but the poison is very unforgiving if it starts to stack. I really hope they don't change anything on it. Our problem was more people panicking as more adds came out. I do like the idea of lust/hero in p2 or p3. P3 did not seem that bad the times we did get there. Reminded me more of P1 where its more, dont stand in crap.

I felt like having good dps was pretty crucial to the fight. Our mage had to leave a little early today so we brought in our backup rogue and we had trouble dropping the adds in p2 before healers got overwhelmed.

Also can see how having a priest and monk healer would help a lot. Smart tanks that know how to position Horridon is key.

Our raid's average ilevel is probably around 488-490 (16/16N, 2/16HM in 5.1) and I don't think gear was a huge issue. Once we get the coordination down, I don't imagine we'll have too much trouble moving past Horridon.

Thank's for the replies , its good to know we might have a chance at him.
    Last edited by Xsy; 2013-03-06 at 04:13 PM.
    1001 0111 0011 0111 1000 0101

This boss is a challenge on TEN man, would you 25ers please catch on to that already? We can't swagg in with 7 heals and unlimited dispels.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Our 10m guild initially had the overturned mindset as we first had loads of trouble on the second set of adds, then the third set once we figured out kill priority on the previous ones. Downed it after about 13 pulls, the last being like clockwork. It's a fight that you just have to learn before turning around and laughing at how much more difficult you were making it seem.

This is how we did it on 10 man:

Door 1: Normal stuff here, just nuke everything and don't stand on sandtraps.
    Door 2: Assign interrupters on priests. That's pretty much it. Single target dps the priests while interrupting as much as you can. Have anyone that can dispel to help out. No one should be bothering with boss in this and next door. All damage should be single target nuke on priests, you can safely ignore the other type of adds.
    Door 3: This is the hardest door imo, have your raid pop offensive cds. I mean keep your big dps cooldowns for this door if you have issues. Tanks will need some cds as well for the mortal strikes.
    Door 4: Nuke bears, nothing really hard here.

Transition: Burn second boss with hero, switch to horridon and loot.

Enrage timer is very very loose, we killed it in like 9 minutes or so.
    Last edited by Meanor; 2013-03-06 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Medanielle View Post
    Did it get harder since PTR testing? We toppled it relatively easy there.
    I'll never understand how people can fail to understand that PTR is for testing mechanics, not damage. Fights are always buffed, usually heavily, between PTR and live.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zues View Post
    This boss is a challenge on TEN man, would you 25ers please catch on to that already? We can't swagg in with 7 heals and unlimited dispels.
    We ran 6 heals and were still a little behind on dps on the adds. It's still tight on 25.

found it a little tight in terms of tanking. not so much in terms of damage. we ended up using a third tank. to help control adds.
    " I need a sec, my wrists hurt from spamming slam so hard. Playing cleave vs cleave is tough stuff guys"

Quote Originally Posted by Meanor View Post
    This is how we did it on 10 man:

Door 1: Normal stuff here, just nuke everything and stand on sandtraps.
    Door 2: Assign interrupters on priests. That's pretty much it. Single target dps the priests while interrupting as much as you can. Have anyone that can dispel to help out. No one should be bothering with boss in this and next door. All damage should be single target nuke on priests, you can safely ignore the other type of adds.
    Door 3: This is the hardest door imo, have your raid pop offensive cds. I mean keep your big dps cooldowns for this door if you have issues. Tanks will need some cds as well for the mortal strikes.
    Door 4: Nuke bears, nothing really hard here.

Transition: Burn second boss with hero, switch to horridon and loot.

Enrage timer is very very loose, we killed it in like 9 minutes or so.
    Interesting strat for Door 1. Haha

This was helpful though. I think we were trying to cleave things down in P2. We'll have to be better about interrupting and just single target dps.