Deleted

Ram issue on a Z68 Board

Hey there i have a Msi Z68 GD80(g3) mobo and a very specific problem.

Namely i can only get 2 ram sticks to work on it. I tried inserting all 4 ram sticks but it would either turn on and then shortly after turn off OR it would turn on but no signal would appear on the monitor. I tested all ram sticks and if i inserted them into the 2 specific "working" slots all of them would work.
    What makes me believe it's not a slot issue aswell is that when i try to insert only one of them into 1 of the 2 working slots it doesn't work. If i try to insert the 2 ram into the other 2 slots it doesn't work either.

So there's this very specific thing where only if i put 2 ram into those 2 specific slots it would work otherwise it wouldn't.
    Any ideas ? (tried flashing the bios already and no pins are bent)

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 03:28 PM ----------

My pc
    Graphics card : GHZ 7970
    CPU: i7 2600k
    MBO: MSI Z68A-GD80 (G3)
    RAM: Ripjaws 16gb
    HDD: SSD Mushkin Chronos Deluxe 240 gb 1 TB HD.
    PSU: Seasonic S12D 750W

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have a z68a gd55 G3 and I had that problem too :/, I just switched around the memory modules until they worked. There's one thing you should know, in order for mine to boot I need first DIMM slot (nearest to CPU) populated. Hope this helps. Try maybe reseting CMOS, maybe one of those is broken. Also, are they similar, like same manufacturere, same model, same timings etc? Mine weren't, I had 2x2GB DDR3 1333 and 2x2GB DDR3 1600, both from ADATA, they were all ofc running at 1333 MHZ.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Korrawi View Post
    I have a z68a gd55 G3 and I had that problem too :/, I just switched around the memory modules until they worked. There's one thing you should know, in order for mine to boot I need first DIMM slot (nearest to CPU) populated. Hope this helps. Try maybe reseting CMOS, maybe one of those is broken. Also, are they similar, like same manufacturere, same model, same timings etc? Mine weren't, I had 2x2GB DDR3 1333 and 2x2GB DDR3 1600, both from ADATA, they were all ofc running at 1333 MHZ.
    All are the same 4x4gb 1866 .
    Like said none of the ram is broken all tested and working in the same slots.
    If i try putting all 4 in it doesn't work.
    If i try the other 2 slots it doesnt' work.
    If i leave one of the 2 working slots emty it won't work ( tested both )

Sounds like your processor is the culprit, a faulty memory lane. Did you OC it? It could also be that you bent pins on the back side of the motherboard, do you use a after market back plate for the CPU cooler?
    Last edited by shnuggle; 2013-03-06 at 03:16 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shnuggle View Post
    Sounds like your processor is the culprit, a faulty memory lane. Did you OC it? It could also be that you bent pins on the back side of the motherboard, do you use a after market back plate for the CPU cooler?
    actualy i'm using an after market back plate , CM V8

if its on too tight it might have bent a few of the pins sticking out of the back, breaking the memory lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Plushyeu View Post
    All are the same 4x4gb 1866 .
    Like said none of the ram is broken all tested and working in the same slots.
    If i try putting all 4 in it doesn't work.
    If i try the other 2 slots it doesnt' work.
    If i leave one of the 2 working slots emty it won't work ( tested both )
    Well you're saying in 2 slots it works and in the other 2 slots it doesnt work, right? Could you be more precise like DIMM1/DIMM2/DIMM3/DIMM4 from left to right? Because you have to use DIMM1 & DIMM3 or DIMM2 & DIMM4 to have dual channel working. If you use DIMM1 & DIMM2/DIMM3&DIMM4 you don't have dual channel. If you used dimm1&dimm2 and then you tried dimm3&dimm4 (which didn't work) just means that this motherboard is screwed.

Basically if you go for the 1st option (1&3) without dual channel and it's working but the 2nd option (2&4) without dual channel is failing -> MB.

Did this happen when you just bought the board? During post the board does a quickcheck of ram and if it keeps failing it would try to restart everytime. When I had my Gigabyte lga775 rig when I was trying to overclock the ram with very absurd clocks for example which was of course a big fail and yes the problem was just exactly the same as you encounter now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faithh View Post
    Well you're saying in 2 slots it works and in the other 2 slots it doesnt work, right? Could you be more precise like DIMM1/DIMM2/DIMM3/DIMM4 from left to right? Because you have to use DIMM1 & DIMM3 or DIMM2 & DIMM4 to have dual channel working. If you use DIMM1 & DIMM2/DIMM3&DIMM4 you don't have dual channel. If you used dimm1&dimm2 and then you tried dimm3&dimm4 (which didn't work) just means that this motherboard is screwed.

Basically if you go for the 1st option (1&3) without dual channel and it's working but the 2nd option (2&4) without dual channel is failing -> MB.

Did this happen when you just bought the board? During post the board does a quickcheck of ram and if it keeps failing it would try to restart everytime. When I had my Gigabyte lga775 rig when I was trying to overclock the ram with very absurd clocks for example which was of course a big fail and yes the problem was just exactly the same as you encounter now.
    Yes basicly it only works if i have ram in both DiMM 1 and 2. If i put just 1 ram into dimm 1 or 2 it won't work.
    apart from the setup where you have Ramm in both Dimm 1 and 2 nothing works.

What would be my next steps would be shit to replace the Mobo. Basicly this was probably on from start but i only noticed it now

Try running memtest first with all RAM sticks plugged in, then one by one to rule out RAM problem. After that you can try different RAM slots on the motherboard to rule out possible mobo damage.

http://www.memtest.org/
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.