Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Are there too many achievement points?

I know that WoW is meant to be an ever-expanding game with endless content, and that there are people who have capped their achievement points. It just seems like there is a simply staggering number of achievements and content at this point, and it's almost entirely unrealistic for a new player to begin to approach capping their points (Long Strange Trip takes at least a calendar year, although I like that particular category of achieves).

I want to emphasize I'm not complaining on my own behalf, since my perfectionism is usually channeled towards really random parts of the game, not really in a completionist sense. I just have been hearing a lot lately that the current amount of content is so staggering it's nigh impossible to cap achievement points starting from ground zero these days.

I think the entire point of the the achievements system is that you aren't supposed to cap them without immense effort. I did think making achievements account-wide was a really smart move on Blizzards part, but anything more would make any prestige that achievements have (for certain players) watered down. They serve as an in-game resume of sorts and no one builds up their resume in a few short years.

Achievements have no direct effect on gameplay (PvE or PvP) so I would hope Blizzard doesn't change the system anytime soon.

Then again, this is coming from someone who has something in the neighborhood of 8000 achievement points so perhaps my bias is reflected in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by paulleedot View Post
    I think the entire point of the the achievements system is that you aren't supposed to cap them without immense effort. I did think making achievements account-wide was a really smart move on Blizzards part, but anything more would make any prestige that achievements have (for certain players) watered down. They serve as an in-game resume of sorts and no one builds up their resume in a few short years.

Achievements have no direct effect on gameplay (PvE or PvP) so I would hope Blizzard doesn't change the system anytime soon.

Then again, this is coming from someone who has something in the neighborhood of 8000 achievement points so perhaps my bias is reflected in the post.
    No, I think you raise a good point - especially with the account-wide achievements; those really eliminated a lot of the redundancy in farming achievement points.

I also like what you say about an "in-game resume", it's a good analogy.

As I said, I wasn't saying that I actually think there are too many achievements, just wanted people's opinion.

Deleted
    There's no prize for getting them all, just do the ones you want and ignore the rest.

Deleted
    I think they should divide the achievement points into different categories. I mean make for example PVP-achievement points, PVE-achievement points and so on. Just to make it easier to track if you are only interested in some parts. I know you can see on the summary now how many you have in each category but it would be even more split this way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jumjumm View Post
    I think they should divide the achievement points into different categories. I mean make for example PVP-achievement points, PVE-achievement points and so on. Just to make it easier to track if you are only interested in some parts. I know you can see on the summary now how many you have in each category but it would be even more split this way.
    That is a very good idea. I have liked achievements since the release but I have never liked PVP.

They serve as an in-game resume of sorts and no one builds up their resume in a few short years.

15+ Year Old Account
    There are too many in the sense that blizzard didn´t add it to have achivements, but to have some stuffing for people to spend time with - unless you talk about specific things its not anything I would define as an "achievement" to accomplish.
    "Only Jack can zip up."
    The word you want to use is "have" not "of".
    You may have alot of stuff in your country, but we got Lolland.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumjumm View Post
    Besides the few PVE achievements that have some PVP elements (BB gun on faction leaders for example), this is already the case. There's a section for PVP achievements. If you want the point total, look at your armory.

Deleted
    I personally love the achievement system. I'm always striving to get more and more achievements points in any category I can. Like some have mentioned before, it almost becomes a resume of sorts; if someone looks at your total achievement points they can see how dedicated to the game you might be, granted they can't tell accurately but it certainly serves as a good guide. I myself have only been playing for around 2 years and a half and proudly have around 11,000 achievement points on just my main. I can't go a week without getting at least two achievements, no matter what they are.

Regarding the immense amount of achievements.....Even more dings I can hear and even more small goals I can achieve.

Seeing as that few of the achievements in the game are mandatory for anything (exceptions being achieves that unlock LFR tiers and that sort), I don't see how there could be such a thing as "too many achievements". They give people little goals to work toward. Some are practically handed to you, true, while some are absolute pains or can take years to obtain (Veteran Nanny says hi).

Quote Originally Posted by LSPrimigenia View Post
    I know that WoW is meant to be an ever-expanding game with endless content, and that there are people who have capped their achievement points. It just seems like there is a simply staggering number of achievements and content at this point, and it's almost entirely unrealistic for a new player to begin to approach capping their points (Long Strange Trip takes at least a calendar year, although I like that particular category of achieves).

I want to emphasize I'm not complaining on my own behalf, since my perfectionism is usually channeled towards really random parts of the game, not really in a completionist sense. I just have been hearing a lot lately that the current amount of content is so staggering it's nigh impossible to cap achievement points starting from ground zero these days.
    Let me start of saying no new player's first thoughts are going to be about capping their "achievement points".

The ones that have capped their points are the ones that have been around for ever. I mean you actually have to be a hardcore raider or some where above casual to get those points. You also have to be good and active in PVP to get those PVP titles and achievements. Its virtually impossible or would take a very and I mean literally a very long time to get any of the achievements from Wintergrasp which require over 100 of certain things considering no one even bothers queueing for that the last time I played.

I mean all those achievement points are over 4 expansions worth of points including vanilla. WTLK has probably the most due to the separation of 10 and 25 raids and you actually have to earn raid achievements in each raid.

Well the only people that have actually capped out or come even remotely close to it are those that have been around from the start or at least since some where during WTLK. You are always going to be playing catch up if you've joined any time after WTLK. WTLK makes up for a lot of achievements especially when it comes to dailies, dungeon quests, etc.

And even for someone considering such a goal would have to adopt a very different approach to what you have in mind. You can't expect to look at it as one big project, rather they need to break it down into smaller projects. A few weeks back someone had set out to go about achieving this from scratch on his new account. He wanted to know how long it would take to get 9000 points. Some suggested a few months and some said 6. I don't think it would take him anywhere less than a year minimum to achieve that total.

But I can definitely say that no new player's first thoughts are going to be achievement points. I mean they don't even come into considerable fruition until you get into WTLK and above.

10+ Year Old Account
    You never run out of stuff to do now, so the amount of achievements is great! But, the amount of different pets, and that you must both level them and get different qualities is just too much.
    • Diablo Immortal is the most misunderstood and underrated game of all time!
    • Blizzard, please, give us some end-game focused Classic servers, where you start at max level!
    • Serious Completionist: 100% OW Achievements, 100% D3 Achievements, 90% Immortal Achievements, 99% ATT Classic, ~90% ATT Retail

Pets are optional, you are only "required to get 75"

I for 1 just do achievements for entertainment and setting personal goal of 18k
    Heck, i even did Bloodsail Admiral exalted on a alt for fun.

They have always been worthless. Even when you had to "link achi for inv"... wink wink Underachiever

I do not think there are too much achievements as all achievements dnt matter and are not required to raid nor get a guild inv.

The analogy of it being a resume is great as you can see the amount of time a player has spent in game on trivial things.
    Fair enough that there are vanilla players with less than 6k achievement points.

1 achievement i do recommend that every1 gets is "Friend or Fowl?". The most memorable achievement i have ever done and the most entertaining.
    I take alot of friends to do it and they have a good laugh (^^_)

Deleted
    I have spend barely 50 days played, on my current account, and got 9,8k points. Also i did spend a lot of time raiding/pvp. Not impossible, just stop spending time wanking in cities.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanguinezor View Post
    1 achievement i do recommend that every1 gets is "Friend or Fowl?". The most memorable achievement i have ever done and the most entertaining. I take alot of friends to do it and they have a good laugh (^^_)
    I guess you did Friend or Fowl quite some time ago? I did it in Cata by myself with no problems at all, at some place in Howling Fjord.

Deleted
    We just need an achievment squish so people wont be confused by the large numbers!

Deleted
    Personally i never understood the point of achievement farming. Sometimes i want to shoot people in the face when they are saying "pmfg i hate doing X but must do them because achi!1"

I mean, you have not played this game more than the next guy if you have hugged 9000 critters or whatever?

There should have been a hundred or so fewer achievements from Ulduar, but beyond that, nah.