Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Your opinions and experiences with Jayce.

As the title says, what do you guys think of him? Is he fun to play? Does it feel clunky going from ranged to melee stance? I've been playing with Zyra allot lately and I'm having a blast with her, but I'm looking for a new champion to play. I'd like to hear what others have to say about Jayce first before I invest in purchasing him.

Thanks! ^_^

One of the most fun heroes i played so far, no doubt about that.

But i still feel like i can improve my play with him.. i always fail vs teemo even tought i usually get the upper hand :|
    Money talks, bullshit walks..

Hmm, yea he looks like a lot of fun. Being able to sit at range and then hop back into melee form for the increased damage + his acceleration gate to close the gate. Looks like allot of fun but with a high skill cap. Once you get the hang of switching in and out of forms for max damage I can see him being a very potent champion to fight against.

Deleted
    Bought him but just couldn't find a rhythm between the two stances: Felt I was always in cannon mode so I could fire charged shots. I got told he had a high skill cap and once you got used to it he was really good, but it felt like I was forcing myself to play a hard champion when I could just play others that were easy and do more damage.

Great vs champs like Darius/Garen and an assortment of others. Once you get his insta acceleration/shock blast(?) combo down, he's easy peasy. He's a great champion for perfecting your use of smart cast. He doesn't even need to build full dmg to have massive damage output and easily tears most carries apart once he switches into melee form. Works a bit like Nidalee, open with spear (in Jayce' case shock blast), jump into melee form and annihilate their team. Definitely worth a purchase.

ne porvivajo nur mortigi tempo

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for this type of design where every ability has a secondary function when you change forms. Elise, Jayce, Nidalee.

---------- Post added 2013-03-06 at 05:03 PM ----------

Probably just because I'm bad at it.

That being said I find some of the worst players of these types of champions are those that get tunnel vision and spend most if not all of their time in 1 mode/form you really need to be actively switching between the 2 to play well.

10+ Year Old Account
    He is very fun to play, Takes time to learn when to switch from Melee to range and the other way around doing so at the wrong time can lead to an enemy getting away as your stance change has a short cooldown. I'd say he is definetlly worth the buy

He is a great poke champion but that comes at the cost of not being able to go toe to toe with most bruisers and relies more on small exchanges & poking until they are low.

It might be annoying at first to change your play style but it's definitively worth it. His poke is great and he is like a second AD carry when built squishy.

Without kills, Jayce hardly has any impact on late-game, even if his farm is kept up, unless he manages to outfarm his lane opponent. But the latter would mean his lane opponent is afraid of him and that would most likely mean that Jayce can kill him. So what I basically feel about him is, that if your lane game is mostly below your own turret, you're in for a painful lategame where your "gated blast" only generates triple "lol"s. If you manage to get some kills in, possibly snowball, you'll be in a more happy spot.

I personally feel that Elise has a better skillset and is more frightening overall.

Also, there's many bad Jayces that want to get those gated blasts in and cast Gate first and then try to aim Blast through it. Instead, try to aim Blast first and quickly tap Q + E instead of E + Q. If your aim is good, they won't have time to respond to the gate.

Deleted
    Won't be the first time if I get attacked and don't know what I'm doing except pressing all the buttons and win. Only problem I've had was with Renekton but that's just me being bad I guess...
    He is a fun champ but I don't like the fact that I go full DMG on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    Without kills, Jayce hardly has any impact on late-game, even if his farm is kept up, unless he manages to outfarm his lane opponent. But the latter would mean his lane opponent is afraid of him and that would most likely mean that Jayce can kill him. So what I basically feel about him is, that if your lane game is mostly below your own turret, you're in for a painful lategame where your "gated blast" only generates triple "lol"s. If you manage to get some kills in, possibly snowball, you'll be in a more happy spot.
    Can't agree with that. His scaling with BonusAD is insane (nothing below 100% bonus AD), his W gives him all the AS you need to autoattack and his E scales with % max health (20% at rank 5!). His scaling is insane. Obviously good scaling requires you to farm well to abuse it but if you can't farm with jayce, you are doing something wrong.

I usually build something like: start item of choice -> Tear -> Brutalizer -> BT -> LW -> Muramana -> etc. Add some CDR boots for more damage. With this build you are a poke machine and act as a second AD carry and should only switch to hammer stance to clean up or to disenage/protect someone.

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    Can't agree with that. His scaling with BonusAD is insane (nothing below 100% bonus AD), his W gives him all the AS you need to autoattack and his E scales with % max health (20% at rank 5!). His scaling is insane. Obviously good scaling requires you to farm well to abuse it but if you can't farm with jayce, you are doing something wrong.

I usually build something like: start item of choice -> Tear -> Brutalizer -> BT -> LW -> Muramana -> etc. Add some CDR boots for more damage. With this build you are a poke machine and act as a second AD carry and should only switch to hammer stance to clean up or to disenage/protect someone.
    Let me rephrase it. Jayce can instill fear into all his opponents if he's fed, but if he isn't fed and only has farm, he will need his team to have proper engages. Without, all he can do is poke poke poke. I'm in the unlucky position that I've never been able to all-out Jayce due to messed up teams and the fact that I generally try to play jungle.
    Last edited by Vespian; 2013-03-07 at 08:51 AM.

Which squishy doesn't rely on his team to make proper engages?

He should be played mainly in his ranged form because he's so squishy and only use the melee form to disengage/clean up. Consider him the AD form of Nidalee who has better teamfight presence. Like Nidalee he can poke like a god (1/3-1/2 hp of a squishy in a E+Q combo) but has the advantage that his poke is AoE but weaker single target which he compensates with good ranged DPS and some melee burst.

Deleted
    Just bought him and finished the first game 10/5 mostly by not knowing what to build and blindly smashing QWE during team fights. So I can safely say he is good.

I never managed to get him to work when I played him...

I mean, his Hammer Stance is fine to me, but his Cannon Stance makes him feel like an awkward ADC trying to be some kind of pseudo-bruiser. It's just weird to me.

It's a shame, because I want to like him and play him, but I just can't get in sync with him.

@Grading: have you tried the build I've posted above already? Gives him insane poking power and targets melt when he uses his W (insane dmg spike once you get Muramana due to every single auto proccing it). Top is harder for him than mid which means if you have problems with him, you might want to try him in mid. He can push extremely well and due to his MS boosts (E, R), he's quite a good roamer as well.

If the enemy hides behind minions just E+Q the minions and enjoy the fact that your explosion is big enough to still hit them

Quote Originally Posted by meteo View Post
    Which squishy doesn't rely on his team to make proper engages?

He should be played mainly in his ranged form because he's so squishy and only use the melee form to disengage/clean up. Consider him the AD form of Nidalee who has better teamfight presence. Like Nidalee he can poke like a god (1/3-1/2 hp of a squishy in a E+Q combo) but has the advantage that his poke is AoE but weaker single target which he compensates with good ranged DPS and some melee burst.
    But building Jayce as a pure ADC can be fatal for your team. It depends on your setup. Assuming both your jungler and support build tanky and aggressive (aka not Taric) you can pull off some nice engages and get the enemy team to focus them instead. If Jayce is built as a glass cannon and your jungler builds damage and your support is a squishy, you won't be in melee range or you will be dead. So in general, I tend to build him like a Bruiser rather than a squishy. Since I never know what I get in randoms.

Plus, Ranged W + Melee Q hurts like hell. And I still prefer ranged Q + E poke rather than E + Q.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vespian View Post
    But building Jayce as a pure ADC can be fatal for your team.
    Just play him mid and enjoy being OP. Jayce top is purely for counter-picking or if you're going for a poke comp with other poke champs and other disengages.

His damage definitely doesn't fall off if you build the right things (like manamune).

Quote Originally Posted by Infighter View Post
    Just play him mid and enjoy being OP. Jayce top is purely for counter-picking or if you're going for a poke comp with other poke champs and other disengages.

His damage definitely doesn't fall off if you build the right things (like manamune).
    Oh absolutely, if he's mid, he is a carry and thus assumed to go squishy, in which case he probably becomes a monster. I should, actually, try that once, if my team allows me

Deleted
    He also works decently as a ADC bot... but it's definitely nothing I'd try soloQ without a support that is my friend.

BT > IE > Manamune > LW > sotd > ionians

Max W second and enjoy 2 shotting (literally) things late game with only autoattacks.