Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Trove of the Thunder King

So I tried to farm those but ended up with nothing after looting 1 chest. I tried to switch chars and wat do you think, I literally find a chest on the 1st spawn point I approach and then - nothing again. Is it rly 1 chest per char per X (day or even week?) or maybe I'm missing smth?

I believe it's just luck based.

There's a theory on wowhead that you can only loot one per week per char.

As when I found mine (Also the first spot I checked), there were several people nearby, none looting it.

10+ Year Old Account
    One drop from a mob per week. However, you can get one in the satchel from the final daily quest too.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameday View Post
    I believe it's just luck based.
    I don't think so.
    I just tried it myself with several different chars on two seperate accounts - atfer I've looted a chest with a char, I definitely wasn't able to see any more chests with that char.
    I'm certain that it wasn't just bad luck. I've stood with two toons at the same time at a spawn point and tabbed between two windows so I know that there was a trove there; still it was invisible for the char that already have looted one.
    Joining a party didn't help either.

Edit: Note that both screenshots were taken at the exact same time.
    http://i.imgur.com/a1OaeYD.png
    http://i.imgur.com/mE3mQoS.png
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-03-07 at 08:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nivis View Post
    I don't think so.
    I just tried it myself with several different chars on two seperate accounts - atfer I've looted a chest with a char, I definitely wasn't able to see any more chests with that char.
    I'm certain that it wasn't just bad luck. I've stood with two toons at the same time at a spawn point and tabbed between two windows so I know that there was a trove there; still it was invisible for the char that already have looted one.

I think that's pretty good proof right there that there is some limitation going on. Whether it's one each day or week would be nice to know.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by glamdr1ng View Post
    I think that's pretty good proof right there that there is some limitation going on. Whether it's one each day or week would be nice to know.
    My priest looted the chest yesterday, so it seems like you can't loot one every day.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think so.

I'm glad someone tested this. I too haven't seen any chests after the first that I looted - and the first chest was in an area right next to a quest mob, I have a hard time believing I'm just that lucky to be the first person to see that chest.

This kind of reminds me of GW2s watered down item gating.. diminishing returns.. it probably makes sense logistically, but.... I'm kinda mad that I spent a lot of time exploring for them for zero reason. Kinda like... find one tuesday morning.. immediately kills any point to explore for the next 6 days. Hell, make the stones a 5% drop chance, but this gating is crap... my gut feeling tells me its some sort of test to see how the community reacts to these weekly lockouts on everything you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Vorsyn View Post
    This kind of reminds me of GW2s watered down item gating.. diminishing returns.. it probably makes sense logistically, but.... I'm kinda mad that I spent a lot of time exploring for them for zero reason. Kinda like... find one tuesday morning.. immediately kills any point to explore for the next 6 days. Hell, make the stones a 5% drop chance, but this gating is crap... my gut feeling tells me its some sort of test to see how the community reacts to these weekly lockouts on everything you do.
    I think it's OK as long as the reward fits. Like the scenario is theoretically once a week (supposedly there's a rare way to get another key), but it feels OK because it's really rewarding.

Brewmaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Looted 3 chests today on my paladin

All of this drop limiting on the isle bugs me a bit. I was really looking forward to having the option of some good old fashioned grinding/treasure hunting (not to mention, the chance of key drops from mobs and rares makes them that much more compelling to kill even if you don't need anything from them), but now I feel like it's going to become one of those "better make sure you do this every week" tasks.

It turns farming keys and chests into part of the regular WoW routine, rather than letting you go on a magical treasure hunting adventure.

Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    All of this drop limiting on the isle bugs me a bit. I was really looking forward to having the option of some good old fashioned grinding/treasure hunting (not to mention, the chance of key drops from mobs and rares makes them that much more compelling to kill even if you don't need anything from them), but now I feel like it's going to become one of those "better make sure you do this every week" tasks.

It turns farming keys and chests into part of the regular WoW routine, rather than letting you go on a magical treasure hunting adventure.
    If you want a grind, head to the Isle of Giants. Only 9,999 bones until you can get a shiny mount. Then a further 999 for the pet.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fhi View Post
    I'm glad someone tested this. I too haven't seen any chests after the first that I looted - and the first chest was in an area right next to a quest mob, I have a hard time believing I'm just that lucky to be the first person to see that chest.
    Same here. I found the first chest right next to a quest mob with three players nearby.
    Also, the respawn rate of the chests seem to be really high - while sitting there at the spot posted above, I've noticed that the trove reappeared only ~20 mins after I looted it.

Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    I really don't get it.
    Someone on my server told me that he has looted more than one, too - but considering that I camped two spots with 6 different chars, logging around between them for a while just to check which one could see it, this definitely was no coincidence.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-03-08 at 04:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Téuntjûh View Post
    I question the validity of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lohe View Post
    If you're semi-hardcore or semi-casual what's the other half? To me, they're both the same thing.
    Canicus - 577 - Arcane Mage - US Mal'Ganis Horde - 12/14H T16

Deleted
    Was in a group when someone else looted one, did get the achievment and didn't see another chest since then. Funnily my rogue immediatly found one when I went to the Thunder Kings isle. I'll be testing for my Shaman whether or not someone else looting it blocked it out as soon as I find another one on my third character. I'd be furious to say the least.

Deleted
    Yesterday I opened a ticket and now just talked to a GM about it.
    Bottom line: One char definitely can loot only one chest per week - and can't even see any additional ones.

So I now highly doubt Téuntjûh's statement, too.
    Last edited by mmocc02219cc8b; 2013-03-08 at 03:59 PM.

Yesterday I opened a ticket and now just talked to a GM about it.
    Bottom line: One char definitely can loot only one chest per week - and can't even see any additional ones.

Empirical evidence would support this. On my hunter I found one just after servers came up on Tuesday. Spent 3 hours searching on Thursday to no avail. While grouped for an Elite - a group member got the achievement right beside me - on a chest I couldn't even see,

I looted two chests within five minutes of each other in the troll area of the Isle of Thunder.

However, this was mere hours after the patch went live in the US on Tuesday. They could have silently hotfixed it afterwards so that only one chest a week applies, as I haven't found any other troves since.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would caution against readily believing any statement that are not backed by anything. It's easy, and people do it all the time, to just jump in and claim something to the contrary. I don't know why people do that, but any standalone statement said on a forum should be taken with a grain of salt.