Poll: Would you like to see a MMORPG set in a Fallout universe?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Would you like to see a MMORPG set in a Fallout universe?

Simple question - would you like to see a MMORPG set in a Fallout universe?

I personally would love to see something like that happen. It's a great universe and if it was developed correctly, it could be a really great MMORPG game.

What's your opinion?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post

It's a great universe and if it was developed correctly
    Thats the problem, there is no correct way to turn a game like Fallout into a MMO without losing what makes it Fallout.

A Co-Op feature like Dead Island would be awesome. But I want to be able to change the world and in a MMO that just limits the possibilities too much.

On paper it sounds very cool ... but tbh i cant really see a very interesting enviroment for an mmo for a start. but ofcourse i can be wrong. i would rather see a fallout story driven game.. like telltale games walking dead.

Absolutely. But NOBODY would ever get it right in a satisfying way. I'm replaying Fallout 3 right now, very hard difficulty, no music or radio just natural wasteland audio and mods to make it more survival based instead of doing the terribad main story and its great. Would it be the same with 50 douchebags going GIB CAPS PLS WAN BUY POWA ARMR TRAIN? not really.

Fallout is largely sold on its ambience. Imagine point lookout without the isolation and solitude? it wouldnt be nearly as good.

4 person multiplayer is all it needs. MMO's cheapen a franchise and risk it's death.
    RETH

I'm not sure how much I care about MMOs anymore, but I voted yes anyway.

No, because I don't think anyone would be able to do it justice and keep it faithful to the series/universe.

10+ Year Old Account
    no, that world is mine and i am the only hero.
    war does not determine who is right, only who is left.

Deleted
    If there were no real people in it, then sure, make it into an MMO. People are what has ruined every single multiplayer game that has ever been made.

And yes, I fully appreciate the irony in having an MMO without people in it. It would still be better than with people in it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Several post apoc mmo's out there, don't see what fall out would contribute to that.

No interplay attempted it already good thing they suck at business and legal battles. I think fallout is one of those ips that stay strong as a single player experience and it should try to stay that way.

just for fun heres the beta sign up video

Last edited by smackyslap; 2015-06-23 at 11:02 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by philefluxx View Post
    Thats the problem, there is no correct way to turn a game like Fallout into a MMO without losing what makes it Fallout.

A Co-Op feature like Dead Island would be awesome. But I want to be able to change the world and in a MMO that just limits the possibilities too much.
    I agree with this. You can't really expect it to look like a desolate wasteland with thousands of people hopping around.
    I vote for multi-player though. 4 to 5 people tops.

10+ Year Old Account
    No that would be very stupid. The whole point of Fallout is to feel like you are out on your own in a post apocalyptic world. Seeing hundreds of other players running around would kill that feeling. Also I say no because I'm so sick of games getting the MMO treatment like it's some sort of ascension. Leave games like Fallout alone to do the things they do best which for Fallout is to provide you with this post apocalyptic experience where you are alone in a world of psychos and mutants and it's up to you and you alone to survive and change the world. Look how well Elder Scrolls did. They went from making awesome single player games to a shitty MMO that I think is now free to play.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    A post-apocalyptic MMO where the entire Earth is in real size would be nice. Get a few million people to play it, force them to stagger all over the planet (although they can, of course, travel later), and there should be a good amount of people for such a world.

Still, seeing as though they're people, they're just going to ruin the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Ganker View Post
    Simple question - would you like to see a MMORPG set in a Fallout universe?

I personally would love to see something like that happen. It's a great universe and if it was developed correctly, it could be a really great MMORPG game.

What's your opinion?
    The problem is that you'd lose a lot of what makes fallout prolific.

Think Fallout 3, you got the option right off the bat to destroy megaton or turn over Burke. It's hard to really make that work in an MMORPG if only because you know that you're not going to get those sort of world-molding descisions if only because it's either going to have to be cleverly phased (ergo creating some funky multiplayer issues) or not happen at all (if only because nuking a city would likely be grief for players trying to save said city).

Making a world that malleable is incredibly difficult to do convincingly in a persistant-multiplayer title. There can't be perma-death for both player and NPC, there can't be permanent changes to the environment.

I think Fallout is one of the worst games you could try and make into an MMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Anarch View Post
    Never claimed I was a genuis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Furitrix View Post
    I don't give a fuck if cops act shitty towards people, never have.

Yah i agree that FO wouldnt be the right kind of game to turn into an MMO. Think about it...you are a survivor of a nuclear holocaust. You're running around a barren wasteland of a charred city with barely anybody around for miles. You walk for an hour foraging for supplies....WHEN SUDDENLY you see 10 players bunny hopping along killing mobs, knocking out quests, whatever. That just wouldnt seem right.

UNLESS the servers or whatever engine they use has instancing tech or limitations that intentionally make your gaming world void of players. In MMOs right now people will be in a zone and complain about lack of players so they have cross servers, merged servers whatever to deal with the low population. But in a Fallout MMO it would work the opposite way. Instead of an outdoor world instance with a limit of 100 people each world instance would only have a limit of 5 people or something low like that. Like in SWTOR when questing you will have Balmorra 1 with 100 people, Balmorra 2 with 80 people, Balmorra 3 with 39 people. Well with an FO MMO it would be Megaton 1 with 5 people max, Megaton 2 with 5 people, Megaton 553 with 5 people and so on. The only thing though is i dont know how that would work from a technical or hardware standpoint. A Fallout MMO will probably be really popular. So how do you set up servers and instancing tech so that you have 500 world instances with 5 people in each one? would it even be possible? would it even be needed?

EDIT: someone mentioned co-op and i think that would probably be the best thing to do. A system similar to D2 or some of the earlier FPS games where players can host games from their PC or whatever. I dont know what the proper term for that kind of multiplayer system is, but that would probably work best for FO.
    Last edited by notanmmmonewbie; 2015-06-24 at 01:08 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    nuclear waste, people strugling to survive, fighting for food and becoming slaves... o look 1 mil newbies poped from that vault ...no 2 mil... they keep commin out...well nvm earth is repopulated again, thanks for playing.

If any fallout game was to be multiplayer I think something like day z or any other of those survival games would be the best and most interesting option.

or a rts.

No. Fallout works best the way it is. Perhaps with some co-op capabilities it could be enhanced, but as a MMORPG? Nope.