Did today's Penny-Arcade remind anybody else of Diablo III?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2013/03/08 All I can think of when I read it is Diablo III.

All I can think of when reading it, thank god I got better things to do

10+ Year Old Account
    LOL ya a little bit

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, couldn't figure out what they were talking about. The "failed to login" could have been referencing anything from Diablo 3 to any MMO to SimCity.

15+ Year Old Account
    Not really, it reminds me of most FTP games out there today.
    Fenixdown (retail) : level 60 priest. 2005-2015, 2022-???? (returned!)
    Fenixdown (classic) : level 70 priest. 2019 - present

Deleted
    I think it's aimed at Sim City

I think it's aimed at any "social" experience gaming with a cash shop.
    If there's one thing World of Warcraft players hate more than people who don't play, it's people that do play but not as much as them.

It's an amalgamation of pretty much everything wrong with online only/f2p games these days. Specifically EA ones.

Diablo 3? Nope, cause barring the server issues (which were launch issues almost exclusively), those other two parts either are minimal (see: Notification of actual achievement completion by friends) or not even required (see: Auction House, be it Gold or RM).

Aiming it at the mobile phone game market, or any other microtransaction F2P game.... FAR more accurate.
    Games are not necessarily "easier" today. You are just a better player.
    It takes more now to impress many gamers than it did 2-5 years ago, because so much has already been seen and done.
    Many players expect to be wow'd with every release of a beloved franchise.
    These are generally NOT the fault of the developers, but the fault of many players over-hyping and/or setting expectations too high.

Nope. Diablo III doesn't require external gold purchases to progress in the game.

Sadly, its not about diablo. That's how any modern game looks like.
    Even more, that's how all the internet looks like nowadays. And it's just a beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Nope. Diablo III doesn't require external gold purchases to progress in the game.
    For sure, Diablo3 has been made ultra casual. Getting goodly inn it, is something else trough. I still wondor what my characters inn Diablo2 would be worth inn Diablo3...

On topic, I do worry abit that this recent move with the gaming industry is gonna get worser to.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny-Arcade
    There are several million permutations of comics you could do on the topic - ultimately we settled on three of them, and them compressed them into a single strip. So if you don’t like one of them, my recommendation would be to look slightly to the right or left.
    Its really 3 comics mashed together. The left one is def about online-only games that have single player modes. Im not sure what the middle one is about. The right one applies to Diablo as well with its RMAH.

So yes, Diablo applies to this almost all the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenko View Post
    Its really 3 comics mashed together. The left one is def about online-only games that have single player modes. Im not sure what the middle one is about. The right one applies to Diablo as well with its RMAH.

So yes, Diablo applies to this almost all the way.
    The whole thing is about EA's mobile Tetris game, but also applies to multiple other games. The middle one itself is just literally about EA Tetris; It's hooked up to social media services and... you can choose to pay for a subscription... to play Tetris against your friend's scores. Which makes me want to shoot myself in the face, just thinking about it.

EA Relaunches Tetris on IOS with a $30 a year subscription fee. Really.

And the last panel broadly makes fun of the whole concept of buying things to improve single player gameplay. Something that EA is driving home really hard lately (see Dead Space 3).