Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Is Intelligence Valued In Society Today?

What do you think on this subject? Is intellect valued in modern society? Please be detailed for this is complex.

I'm sure its valued where it matters...life as we know it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    What do you think on this subject? Is intellect valued in modern society? Please be detailed for this is complex.
    I know a lot of people are going to say "No, Kardashians etc..." but I definitely think intelligence in valued in modern society, especially by other individuals who are also intelligent.
    It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

Deleted
    Just for jobs and personal relations, I'd say.

It wont normally get you the attention that brain dead reality tv gets but is that really important?

At the end of the day this world is run by very intelligent people. Celebs and whatnot really don't mean a goddamn thing in the grand scheme of things.

Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    Playing a caster class intellect is my best stat.

On a serious note what are we comparing it to? I would say that innovation would be the most valuable thing in modern society. Innovative people tend to combine creativity and intellect to create things that for the most part improve life. It is good to be intelligent but if you cannot use that to help improve the world around you what good does it do?

10+ Year Old Account
    in comparison to stupidity?

not really

10+ Year Old Account
    Intelligence and good hair are the most important attributes you can have. I always hear arguments like "If intelligence is so important, then why does Lebron James make more money than the president?"

But consider this: Who writes Lebron's paycheck?

A smart man with great hair, that's who.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post

I don't know if you were just shooting in the dark there, but you're actually 100% right. Micky Arison has fantastic hair.

It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    Intelligence and good hair are the most important attributes you can have. I always hear arguments like "If intelligence is so important, then why does Lebron James make more money than the president?"

i would argue that this would apply to most wealthy individuals. You don't get to a position of wealth and power without being somewhat intelligent. Sure, some may luck into it, but a more likely way to get there is through hard work and smart planning.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadvolcanoes View Post
    I don't know if you were just shooting in the dark there, but you're actually 100% right. Micky Arison has fantastic hair.

It never fails. Every great businessman either has a full, thick head of hair, or did at the point when he made his fortune.

If anything, raw intelligence is a bit overvalued. It's not really an earned attribute, yet we tend to laud people that are naturally smart.

Knowledge, on the other hand, can't be overvalued and isn't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    If anything, raw intelligence is a bit overvalued. It's not really an earned attribute, yet we tend to laud people that are naturally smart.

Knowledge, on the other hand, can't be overvalued and isn't.
    That's a good distinction. Intelligence doesn't mean shit if you don't know anything.

I would say this is a loaded question. Based on my own interactions with numerous persons (political/celebrity/civilian/military) that intelligence is vastly subjective. For starters, the "smartest" (as you would term them) people are never the most successful. Thats not a sometimes, its an always. And it isn't even for a bad reason either. Most people as they get "smarter" become more specialized. You also find that the smartest persons become disinterested far faster. As such there is a disconnect. At its heart, that is why people listen to celebrities so much in addition to politicians. Generally, politicians and celebrities are dumb as a brick (yes, even current ones). They either blindly follow a doctrine or simply don't care enough to have an opinion.

There have also been numerous studies that basically state that group think is becoming a bigger issue, so personality as opposed to intelligence swings a larger stick (so to speak). That is why many of them go to think tanks. And the think tanks never really get any credit and all generally say the same thing.

Also, wealth is really more about luck and timing. Its generally, you have a great idea (intelligence) but then just have to hope you market it before someone else realizes it. There is a reason people say its who you know and not what you know (limited spaces and most companies just retrain you anyway regardless of the field). If you get there first, you win. And even then people will sue you because they can.

So what you ultimately get is a system where the intelligent people are grouped by how intelligent you are (takes one to know one by tier essentially).

To use a more personal concept, Michigan's previous Governor Granholm. She is a very capable attorney (amazing even). But when it came to economics dumb as brick. She banked on advice from a group forwarded from funders. It didn't go so well. Likewise our current Governor Snyder. He's highly capable with economics, but I question his understanding of social implications. So its really kinda give and take.

So long spiel short, yes intelligence is valued. But what do you consider intelligence. Because book smarts just are not useful in and of themselves. Also, disclaimer, my experiences come from business interactions between my company and the persons listed.

Deleted
    To the general public? no.

To people who have working brains? yes.

It is a shame really that most children want to be footballers, footballers wives, tv stars etc instead of doing science or maths.

Quote Originally Posted by Calelith View Post
    It is a shame really that most children want to be footballers, footballers wives, tv stars etc instead of doing science or maths.
    Let's be real though, most people aren't bright enough to do science if they wanted to.

Let's be real though, most people aren't bright enough to do science if they wanted to.
    Its been my experience that most people just never explain it right to people. The ones teaching it see it as a numbers game. Those who love it see it for how it applies and what you can make.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosse88 View Post
    Its been my experience that most people just never explain it right to people. The ones teaching it see it as a numbers game. Those who love it see it for how it applies and what you can make.
    I love science, and I think I'm generally pretty decent at explaining things at whatever the level of the person listening is comfortable with. Everyone can understand the basics, but that doesn't mean everyone's capable of doing the work themselves. It's hard.

Deleted
    That's true but we shouldn't set standards to the lowest common denominator.