Blackscreen PC crash requiring hard reboot (Simcity / Skyrim)

I have had the same problem with skyrim but in the end I just gave up on solving it. I'm hoping somebody here has the answer for me.

The crash is random and doesn't seem triggered by anything. This is what happens:

1. Monitor says its no longer receiving a signal and goes to sleep, sound keeps going (including music and/or Sims that happen to be talking)

2. About 5 seconds later the sound freezes and crashes. It does not seem to be a overheating problem but I'll try to check that again.

My PC is Windows 7 64-bit (ultimate), AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (6950, 1GB), Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 and 8Gigs of ram.

I've tried updating the driver's but that didn't help (I could try downgrading but I don't really know anything about PC'' s so need some guidance with that (Don't really wanna break anything).

Could anybody please help me out I wanna play so badly.
    Now that I can finally get on I get this all over again

Thanks in advance !!!!

Same exact issue

Quote Originally Posted by mimirs View Post
    I have had the same problem with skyrim but in the end I just gave up on solving it. I'm hoping somebody here has the answer for me.

The crash is random and doesn't seem triggered by anything. This is what happens:

1. Monitor says its no longer receiving a signal and goes to sleep, sound keeps going (including music and/or Sims that happen to be talking)

2. About 5 seconds later the sound freezes and crashes. It does not seem to be a overheating problem but I'll try to check that again.

My PC is Windows 7 64-bit (ultimate), AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series (6950, 1GB), Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 and 8Gigs of ram.

I've tried updating the driver's but that didn't help (I could try downgrading but I don't really know anything about PC'' s so need some guidance with that (Don't really wanna break anything).

Could anybody please help me out I wanna play so badly.
    Now that I can finally get on I get this all over again

Thanks in advance !!!!

I have the exact same issue. I have a 6990 HD card - Win8 x64 - 8GB Ram - Core i5 2600K. Yet, this also happens at random when something tries to render. Occasionally the card will freak out with the fan speeds as well while still a black screen.

What power supply do you have?
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    What power supply do you have?
    RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by smhunter1983 View Post
    RAIDMAX RX-1000AE 1000W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
    That's more than likely (at least part) of your problem.

6970s consume 250w~ at max load, and your 6990 has two of them in there. The PSU you have only supplies 36A on each rail (432w~). So when you stress your system, your PSU isn't supplying enough juice, causing instability with your GPU.
    i7-4770k - GTX 780 Ti - 16GB DDR3 Ripjaws - (2) HyperX 120s / Vertex 3 120
    ASRock Extreme3 - Sennheiser Momentums - Xonar DG - EVGA Supernova 650G - Corsair H80i

build pics

I was just experiencing the same issue with SimCity. I'm running: ASUS Maximus V Formula, Intel Core i7-3770K, COOLER MASTER 700W ATX12V, 2 x HIS Radeon HD 6870 1GB. At first I too thought it would have been the power supply, but I've have no issues anywhere else -- BF3, DOTA2, L4D2.
    I booted up SpeedFan and turned the first GPU units fan up to 95%.
    I have not had a problem with the game since. I may run both GPU fans up high just to be safe.

Think Sim City is actually a bit unoptimized. Getting 85% gpu load myself and my card runs so hot I have to underclock it. Waiting for better drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by glo View Post
    That's more than likely (at least part) of your problem.

6970s consume 250w~ at max load, and your 6990 has two of them in there. The PSU you have only supplies 36A on each rail (432w~). So when you stress your system, your PSU isn't supplying enough juice, causing instability with your GPU.
    I guess this is a multirail psu? Normally if the psu is required to power more amps than the rail can the pc just will just do a "healthy" reboot. His cpu is never going to fill those 6970's to their max load especially if it's clocked at stock so obviously the wattage is going to be limited or he has vsync up.