Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Durumu & the Maze

We were working on Durumu and each time we got to disintegration beam the clear spot on the maze was next to impossible to find leading to multiple deaths. In addition, the particle effects were clearing out at different rates for players making the maze even more difficult.

My question: Are other folks experiencing similar problems with the path not being revealed? How are you handling the maze with the particle effects not dissipating?

We found that there are 2 sets of "purple." One in the air and the other on the ground. The one in the air is fine, its the one on the ground that will kill you. People may say I am wrong, thats just what my guild has noticed. Its definitely a weird mechanic that I'm sure it will be nerfed. Its a heroic mode mechanic on a mid-tier normal mode fight IMHO.

Deleted
    What reohh said is correct if you check out some youtube vids you see that there are really clustered patches of purple on the floor and small ones floating in the air that make the "maze" so to speak. The ones that are on the floor are the ones that you really need to pay attention to.

We had a fair amount of trouble with it for a bit, until we noticed that there are 3 "paths" so to speak. A melee path, a middle path, and a back path. The back path (almost all the way in the back of the room) seemed to be wider and clearer the majority of the time and once we started running to the back we stopped having maze deaths. Also, in order to find which side gets filled up last look on the ground for some faint purple sparks, and that's the part of the room you should start your maze in.

Just be more conservative in your movements. It'll seem like something is opening up to your side, but it's just the fog shifting a bit before it opens (possibly somewhere else). If you wait til there's a clear cut clear path, it should be fine.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I found putting my graphics on low settings helped me see the paths better.

Quote Originally Posted by Brydie View Post
    I suspected lower graphics settings would actually help on this fight, will try it next time, thanks. (provided I can still see the add spawns just fine, guess I can change it mid-fight with a macro lol, if someone wants to share one feel free, it'd be a console command for particledensity
    )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanden View Post
    We had a fair amount of trouble with it for a bit, until we noticed that there are 3 "paths" so to speak. A melee path, a middle path, and a back path. The back path (almost all the way in the back of the room) seemed to be wider and clearer the majority of the time and once we started running to the back we stopped having maze deaths. Also, in order to find which side gets filled up last look on the ground for some faint purple sparks, and that's the part of the room you should start your maze in.
    This^^. We tried the closest path to maximize the dps but found out that was a bad idea.

Another thing we noticed, was that if you watch the eye in the air and just run behind it, it will lead you into the mace. Bar one attempt the eye spawned at the exact same place - a bit to the right, when you enter the room. Once we noticed that, it wasn't actually hard to make it through. On one attempt though, the eye appeared on the opposite site.

But if you just watch where the eye is, it shouldn't be too difficult.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    We did this boss tonight and at first I was a little perplexed at how that maze worked! First things first, make sure everyone has the particle density (i think its called that) on HIGH or ULTRA, also make sure you have the texture option (The full name has left me) enabled.

Ok, so now you should atleast be able to view the "black stuff" properly, now when the phase starts (Boss fires the beam towards the entrance of the room, always) have everyone stack up on it and then move either left or right (depending on what side lights up with the purple stuff).
    Now, stay in the middle (melee can stay near boss) and wait for the wall coming TOWARDS you to get near, at this point you should see a gap which might be behind you or in the black stuff coming towards you, simply walk into it and you will either have to move slightly left or slightly right, and just keep following the gap.

(Just a heads up, at first it might seem like you're surrounded and the black stuf behind you is catching you up, but don't fret, just wait for the gap to appear infront of you)

Thats basically it :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone having DPS issues on this boss? We have been hitting enrage with him around 20-25% Health ...I think it's because Melee has been going to the back of the room for the Maze, since that was much easier for us...
    Roboctopus of STAY MAD - Sargeras
    http://staymad.enjin.com/

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    Is anyone having DPS issues on this boss? We have been hitting enrage with him around 20-25% Health ...I think it's because Melee has been going to the back of the room for the Maze, since that was much easier for us...
    Melee not dpsing during Maze phase definately doesn't help. Also not killing the red adds fast enough might be an issue. Make sure you handle Life Drain correctly aswell, if done improperly it can heal him for ALOT.
    When you are up against a Facey situation, don't forget to use your Face.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes we did notice he healed for about 5-6% on one of the drains...I'm not sure the problem. We burn him to roughly 50-60% before the first Maze and then just drop off...

What we found out was that there is a safe spot right at the boss, its a really small area though, but in the end it resulted our raid to be stacked all together which meant even if people took damage, they were going to get heals and cd's on them. Plus melee could dps, ranged had to move a lot less and healers could cast heals.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xeonde View Post
    Could be due to the boss draining your players, and not swapping players to soak the drain. He can heal like 10 million from a drain phase if you don't swap players. He drains more and more the longer he drains a target.

We did a handful of tries yesterday. Fight is really straightforward, but the maze...
    I played on ultra graphics options with everything on. Graphics effects are not really clear and consistent and you are never sure if you stand properly or not. Yes there seems to be 2 layers: one on the ground and one flying in different directions in the air. I tried to put camera over my head.
    Anyone knows if lowering the graphic details to low make it easier to deal?
    We were asked to bring GTFO addon for next raid with sound warning.
    Every time you say "I don't believe in fearies" one of them dies...

Deleted
    We stack just infront of the boss and move to the "sweet spot". Haven't tried running to the back of the room but will do so if wee have random deaths. Funny how the same people who failed @ attenuation seem to fail on this mechanic too.

10+ Year Old Account
    ^I am gonna disagree with that. Attenuatation is painfully obvious for someone who isn't tunelling... There is even an arrow!! But this.. Call me crazy and blind but as a melee I was constantly unable to see a spot that looked safe until we went to the way back. Which of course resulted in an enrage..

Deleted
    We had no problems stacking up, circling the boss rather tightly, and melee DPSing him during the maze phase.

We'd start out by going to the panel on the floor with the odd ground crackle effect when he starts charging his beam, then rotate very close to him and the beam, sometimes having to move up to two 'segments' back while continuing to run.

We did, however, have a few wipes to the enrage timer because of improperly handled Life Drains. We ended up having healers eat the drains' stun, and 3 other players getting up to 2 stacks each for each drain.
    Last edited by mmoc4daf1fd338; 2013-03-11 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brydie View Post
    I'll have to try this because I set particle effects to Ultra as I thought it would make the clear path more obvious... We killed it tonight but there were lots of times when I couldn't really work out what area was clear. Luckily we had a mark on 1 of our players for everyone else to follow and I only died once on 1 of our early attempts.

We actually probably had more deaths to stupid stuff like force of will...

Deleted
    Personally I ran with low graphics throughout the few pulls in which we killed this boss - had no issues with the maze whatsoever. A few people in our raid did switch the particle density to low settings and apparantly it made the maze easier to navigate through.

You just have to keep in mind that what is most likely to kill you is you moving too early, Just make sure that you're ahead of the cutter and you should stay alive