Thread: tattoo ideas

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

tattoo ideas

planning on getting a tattoo on my right sholder/bicep. thinking of something with a demon angel mix or animeish or succubus or ninja. i know the topic but dont know what i want.
    Last edited by c2dholla619; 2013-03-10 at 10:31 PM.
    HAKUNA MATATA... IT MEANS NO WORRIES FOR THE REST OF YOUR DAYS

Herald of the Titans Skarsguard's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Whatever you plan to do make it original and I don't mean like original topic but original design. My first and only tattoo so far is on my top shoulder/arm of a comic book style gargoyle bursting out doesn't seem original but the artwork and style is and I get lots of compliments from it and I don't regret it. Talk to your tattoo artist and bang heads on ideas for your piece. Personally I like the idea of the a succubus and its not far from a demon/ fallen angel so you kinda get the mix of all the worlds except the ninja of course or you could do a ninja succubus or a succubus anime style which would be really cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    @skarsguard: Nice Soth avatar.
    @OP:

OT: Succubus with angel wings, wearing a ninja mask, with horns poking out, holding up a halo?

10+ Year Old Account
    Only good advice I can possibly give you is to not get one at all.
    And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
    Revelation 6:8

Quote Originally Posted by DEATHETERNAL View Post
    Only good advice I can possibly give you is to not get one at all.
    why? I never understood this.

Bloodsail Admiral Melanieshaman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It should mean something to you personally... not something you think it cool right now... pic one maybe two concepts... wait 6 months, and if you still want then take it to a artist with a good rep AND you like his/her style. Remember... a $100 tattoo looks like $100 bucks.. a $500 tattoo LOOKS like $500 bucks. You get what you pay for.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanieshaman View Post
    It should mean something to you personally... not something you think it cool right now... pic one maybe two concepts... wait 6 months, and if you still want then take it to a artist with a good rep AND you like his/her style. Remember... a $100 tattoo looks like $100 bucks.. a $500 tattoo LOOKS like $500 bucks. You get what you pay for.
    ... Now I want a tattoo of a hundred dollar bill.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Omertocracy View Post
    ... Now I want a tattoo of a hundred dollar bill.
    LMAO, yeah, but if you only pay 100 for it, it'll look like 50 LMAO

10+ Year Old Account
    LMAO, yeah, but if you only pay 100 for it, it'll look like 50 LMAO
    So does that mean I should get a 50? But then it would look like a 20... I would eventually be rounded down to not getting a tattoo.

Maybe I'll go the other way and get a $10,000 bill. Then, the next time there is a tattoo contest I can go "I've got ten grand in tats man." and get punched in the face when I show it.

Couldn't agree more. Don't just settle for something because you want a tattoo. Take time and think of something you want. I'm tired of seeing people get lord of the rings quotes or dumb quotes you can find on any 13 year old girls tumblr account. It's all matter of opinion but coming up with a quote and getting it the next day isn't really creative. I think images are way better than quotes in every case. Again, just my opinion.

Also it's very true about getting what you pay for. I honestly wouldn't even bother with a tattoo if you aren't going to spend more than $250. Of course prices vary by artist and location and what not. Even $250 is cheap but seriously anything under that really limits what you can do. My cheapest tattoo was $180 and I plan on covering it up one day with something better. It's going to be on you for the rest of your life. Don't get a tattoo thinking "oh by the time I'm older removal will be painless and flawless" or "Oh I can just cover it up". Don't walk in thinking your tattoo may be a mistake.

Lastly, if you live in the US, tip your tattoo artist. I'm not intending to turn this into a stupid war about tip culture but tipping your tattoo artist is the right thing to do.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpenth View Post
    Lastly, if you live in the US, tip your tattoo artist. I'm not intending to turn this into a stupid war about tip culture but tipping your tattoo artist is the right thing to do.
    amen! i've never tipped less than 40 bucks. that was for a 60 animal abuse awareness ribbon on my chest.

http://cynicaltattoos.net/gallery/gallery-chris-howton

here is the first half of mine. my advice is to take your time in deciding what you want. i took a couple years to design mine and make sure it's what i wanted. also, as others have said you should tip for good work.

mine is on the 3rd row second from the left. hint - its video game related.

I agree with what most people here are saying, it needs to be something personal that you want.

If you're having other people pick your tattoo for you, chances are in 5-10 years you're going to wish it was something else.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by c2dholla619 View Post
    planning on getting a tattoo on my right sholder/bicep. thinking of something with a demon angel mix or animeish or succubus or ninja. i know the topic but dont know what i want.
    If you're counting on others for input for your tattoo, don't get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey View Post
    If you're counting on others for input for your tattoo, don't get one.
    input from others is a good thing, i don't think he is asking us to tell him what to get, just our opinion. many of my friends and my artist gave me great input, some i took and some i didn't.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    ideas since this is a gaming board.

1. Kratos - Can never go wrong with the GoW.
    2. Juliet Starling - The chick from Lollipop Chainsaw...yea i know but still lol.
    3. Nariko - The main star of Heavenly Sword.
    4. The Tardis - a personal fav.
    5. A, B, B, A. or Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A - the famous cheat codes.
    You cared enough to post.

15+ Year Old Account
    The most important things are to make sure the design is your own - if you're not much of an artist at least come up with an idea, and a mental image and get an artistic friend to draw it up, alternatively any good tattoo studio should be able to provide help with the art work. Either way talk to the artist in question and if you're not happy with the design as they've drawn it, tell them and talk about what changes you want. (Note the tattoo artist will know more about what works and doesn't work as a tattoo, but he should mention that during the design process and as long as it doesn't completely change your design I'd advise you to listen to them)

The design should be one you're happy with. I don't mean "oh that looks cool I'll get that done next week" My personal way of going about it is to get a design sorted, and then sit on it to 6-12 months, if not longer, and if I still think it would make a great tattoo design I'll see about getting it done (money allowing - which it rarely is >_<)

Lastly - find the best tattoo artist you can - it will probably cost more, but its money you SHOULD be paying if you want a good art job done on something that in theory will be on you forever. the dodgy place round the corner with the flashing neon sign might be ok for a little star behind your ear, but for something complicated, and if you're talking about anything big, it really is worth finding the best tattoo artist you can for the job.

10+ Year Old Account
    Previous posters are completely right, enough so that I'll reiterate. Go talk to an artist. I don't mean some guy who does butterflies and roses in a shopping mall somewhere, but an actual tattoo artist.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
    The design should be one you're happy with. I don't mean "oh that looks cool I'll get that done next week" My personal way of going about it is to get a design sorted, and then sit on it to 6-12 months, if not longer, and if I still think it would make a great tattoo design I'll see about getting it done (money allowing - which it rarely is >_<)
    This. I'm extensively tattooed and there isn't a single piece on my body that I didn't think on and even rework for at least six months. I have one across my shoulders that was on my mind for almost eight years. I also always ask myself these three questions: Will it fit in with my other tattoos? Will I be embarassed to show it to my mother? Will it look ridiculous on an old man?

And a tip unrelated to design, get yourself a tube of Eucerin's Aquaphor. It's a salve that isn't oily and I can say from personal experience that it literally cuts heal time in half.

I got a Darth Vader tattoo but it wasn't just like "BAM there's Vader!". I talked to the artist and he asked me to bring in some pictures I liked and we talked it out. Basically, her turned the whole thing into a "scene" wherein he had the blackness of space, his tie-fighter, and the unfinished death star. Very pleased with the detail he put into it. He pretty much shot my ideas down because of how they would have looked based on the part of my body I chose. Very knowledgeable guy, very friendly and I was his first Vader tattoo .

Best was when I went home for Christmas and was all "Surprise Mom!!"

EDIT: For the record, I debated seriously what I wanted for a good 4 or 5 months. I'd been entertaining the idea for a few years, but when a co-worker got a nice Tin-man tattoo done we discussed it at length. It was handy because I carpooled with her to work. I'm definitely very happy with the work that was done.
    Last edited by Jaronicity; 2013-03-20 at 10:09 AM.

If you don't know what Tattoo you want, my best advice would be wait until you do. I got one I didn't really want but I wanted a Tattoo so I got it anyway. Hate it today, wish it was something else because now I know what I would like :P