Page 1 of 16
... LastLast

My gripe as a fresh 90 trying to raid.

My journey through WoW started in vanilla, stopped, came to BC, stopped, came to WotLK and played till the first month or so of cata, and stopped. Now Im back. I think the only reason why I went through WotLK was because I felt I could progress in ICC, which was fantastic. It was my first "current" raid. I even made it 11/12 normal which may be nothing to you all, but it was a huge feat for me. Sindragosa was a little shit.

So here I am. I pretty much played nonstop and leveled a monk to 90 in two weeks or so with no heirlooms. Fun class, I just feel so squishy compared to my plate tanks Im used to. Im trying to gear up, a lot.

I went from i442 iirc to i454 which is a good start, but I dont have the money to drop on boe's and I dont have the valor to purchase. And on top of that -- its so hard to come by. Not complaining, I know thats the point of it. The reason why we get like 500 JP in a dungeon vs. 40-80 VP or whatever.

I just dont get why I cant buy justice gear to get into raids? It confuses me. Correct me if Im wrong but in ICC, heroics dropped i200 epics. Then you would buy JP and get I think i232 or 245 gear. This could of course get you into TOC and the others. But now JP cant even get you into LFR - the lowest difficulty of raiding, and Im just confused. Getting ready to raid took a day or two before hopping into even practice raids like Naxx or Ulduar.

Now Im farming dailies and shit (only did the dailies at the NE corner of IC iirc), and am probably going to get better gear from there than heroics and JP. And rep is so hard to come by. Holy shit. Before I could slap on a tabard and called me exalted in a bit.

People say that WoW got casual friendly, but is there a possibility that its not casual friendly as WotLK, or am I just way too nostalgiac and its blurring my memory?

edit --- extremely relevant signature :|
    Last edited by calinass; 2013-03-11 at 03:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

because you are way undergeared and you probably dont know your class yet, so just MAYBE you will learn a thing or two about tanking as a monk before you go into a raid. MSV is min ilvl 460 if people are generous. you can get 463 through heroics. at ilvl 460 you can do msv lfr and get gear from that (extremely easily now) at 470 you can do Hall of fear and terrace LFR too. it is plenty easy enough, you just havent put enough time in yet. and you cant complain about the easy options for gearing alts if you havent unlocked them or choose to not use them (dailies to buy items with valor, lfr, using money to buy BOEs)

Don't really see a huge issue. You only need 460 to join the first raid so just head over and do a couple dungeons, maybe farm one of those stupid "world pvp" trinkets, upgrade an item and you are good to go. Before joining your first lfr get one of those keys from the new island, do that shitty scenario and leave with a ton of gold coins which you can use all now on galleon, sha and vaults.

15+ Year Old Account
    They making it so you see all the content I believe, instead of just being a fresh 90, getting your gear, and hopping into the latest released raid without worrying about any of the others, especially with Raid Finder with us at the launch of the expansion this time. Use heroics to get into raids and those raids to get into higher raids. Takes awhile, but oh well.

It's not you mists isn't as casual friendly. It's a massive grind and a massive gate in an attempt to make sure you always have something to do but it's made it so that nothing feels like it's worth doing. It's a massive cock up and bringing back linear progression is about the stupidest fucking thing they could have attempted to do.

BrM Monks are very skill based/gear based, tanking heroics is a great way to learn. But you wont learn everything you need to know til you start tanking normal raids really. Shit changes alot (Alot more damage against brm if you dont know what your doing/managing your cd's corrrectly) For the ilvl, you shouldnt even complain with 5.2 out now, if you need IL go farm up some pvp rings/neck (1250 each) and get some 476 gear, its really not hard.

10+ Year Old Account
    you can get to 471 just by getting full heroic dungeon blues so it is kind of your own fault for not trying harder. and if you seriously think nax and ulduar were "starter raids" you obviously dont understand how patches work...
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

It's not nearly as easy to gear up as it was in wotlk and cata. In fact it's a pain in the ass for returning players, especially if you want to raid current content (500ish ilvl). Run heroics till your decked out in 463 gear, then start doin LFR and pray for drops. Don't expect to be raiding anytime soon, most pugs won't take someone in 463 gear, and lfr takes a while even if you're lucky with drops.

Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    you are no long able to upgrade items as of 5.2. also, i agree that gearing up for lfr can take a fair amount of time if you don't have the money to spend on boe's. rng is rarely in my favor, so running heroics for gear can take days.
    Oh I didn't realize that you couldn't even upgrade blues. That's too bad still I feel that getting 460 isn't hard - at least you can still cheat with those trinkets.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where ever I want, working remote is awesome.
    Oh noes shit isn't purple anymore so it's not as good right? You can raid in the 5 man gear so I don't get why you are complaining. You just need a group to carry you for gear

Quote Originally Posted by Bladeface View Post
    you can get to 471 just by getting full heroic dungeon blues so it is kind of your own fault for not trying harder. and if you seriously think nax and ulduar were "starter raids" you obviously dont understand how patches work...
    The dungeon blues are 463 - a full set of them makes you 463, not 471.

Also it would be awesome if people would stop telling people to use LFR to gear up. It's too RNG based, he can go months without seeing a drop there. It's nice to get drops sure, but you can't count on it.

OP - pvping for gear to boost your ilevel is the simplest and fastest way to do it right now. People are going to bitch me out for admitting it, and it's certainly not ideal gear to pve in, but imo you shouldn't be blamed for making the best out of the system as it currently is. There's an obvious gap at the point you've reached that relies on good rng to get past (or dailies). Doing wintergrasp and tol barad as often as possible will earn you very fast honor, topped off with randoms or the cta. I pushed a toon from 430 to 470 in the space of one day pvping yesterday. I can't think of any other way to do that aside from honor gear that doesn't involve a huge amount of dumb luck. That said I'd also kick a tank that turned up in pvp gear - it isn't tanking gear. Think about going as DPS if you do it that way.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-03-11 at 04:01 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Windfury View Post

Also it would be awesome if people would stop telling people to use LFR to gear up. It's too RNG based, he can go months without seeing a drop there. It's nice to get drops sure, but you can't count on it.
    if you upgraded them all then yes 471 and you could till 5 days ago. also i really wish you people would stop saying that about rng. all gear drops are rng so that isnt a valid argument.
    My channel: Shirgadirth I used to do let's play's but now I do reviews, but not very often. Far too busy from school. Also too poor to buy games :P

if you upgraded them all then yes 471 and you could till 5 days ago.
    lol are you seriously suggesting people spend their valor upgrading blue 463 gear? How much valor would it take to upgrade a full set of blue gear exactly? How would you suggest the poster go about doing that in the space of a couple of days?

And that's assuming it were even still possible, which it isn't, so why suggest it? Let's be honest here, you were just making a terrible and completely irrelevant suggestion to give you an excuse to belittle someone.

also i really wish you people would stop saying that about rng. all gear drops are rng so that isnt a valid argument.
    It would not be a valid argument if all the loot systems were the same. However that's not the case. The RNG in LFR is *different* to that elsewhere in the game as it uses a unique loot system. Contrast it with the rng in a 5 man where a boss has a loot table of 3 possible items, you can swap loot between party members, and you can easily stack an entire group with friends. Are you seriously saying it's equally difficult to get loot from 5 mans as it is lfr? LFR is rubbish as a way of gearing up - it cannot be relied upon and is pointless to recommend.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-03-11 at 04:17 AM.

How much valor would it take to upgrade a full set of blue gear exactly?
    IF the upgrade system still existed: it would cost 0 VP to upgrade a complete set of 463 armor. JP on the other hand would need 22,500-24,000 points to upgrade every single piece... I do however agree that suggesting that someone upgrade their gear to gain access to raids is completely silly and should never be considered.

LFR is rubbish as a way of gearing up - it cannot be relied upon and is pointless to recommend.
    I don't usually come out so blunt with these things, but you are flat out wrong here. My warrior is fully geared and used LFR to great success to achieve the stats to be much more successful in standard raids. I'm sure a good majority of people that play WoW will agree with me ont his as well. LFR may be dumbed down to retarded levels for people to access content, but it is anything but a shitty way to gear up. If anything, it's better than running regular raids to gear. I've spent entire patches and passed on to other content never getting what I wanted. LFR gives me everything (and then some in certain cases).

10+ Year Old Account
    lol are you seriously suggesting people spend their valor upgrading blue 463 gear? How much valor would it take to upgrade a full set of blue gear exactly? How would you suggest the poster go about doing that in the space of a couple of days?
    blues took justice to upgrade idiot. do you even play this game?

Mod Edit: Please don't insult other users.
    Last edited by mmoc99cfbcce04; 2013-03-11 at 08:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jettzypher View Post
    I don't usually come out so blunt with these things, but you are flat out wrong here. My warrior is fully geared and used LFR to great success to achieve the stats to be much more successful in standard raids. I'm sure a good majority of people that play WoW will agree with me ont his as well. LFR may be dumbed down to retarded levels for people to access content, but it is anything but a shitty way to gear up. If anything, it's better than running regular raids to gear. I've spent entire patches and passed on to other content never getting what I wanted. LFR gives me everything (and then some in certain cases).
    And I've taken 3 toons through lfr every week this xpac and won exactly 3 pieces of loot, all on the same toon. RNG is RNG, it's great for you that you had luck with it, but you being lucky is not a guarantee that everyone else will have the same luck. It is not a reliable way to gear up. Sure it's nice to win things in LFR, but winning thigs *can't* be counted on, which is why it's a bad suggestion.

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 04:51 AM ----------

blues took justice to upgrade idiot. do you even play this game?
    Charming.

And yes, my mistake - in my defence I never upgraded any blues.

And again why exactly did you suggest the op do something that physically isn't even in the game right now? Do you even play this game?

Oh you haven't heard? No more new dungeons this expansion so LFR becomes the defacto gear up choice.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Oh you haven't heard? No more new dungeons this expansion so LFR becomes the defacto gear up choice.
    Yeah I heard.

It's a stupid plan though, even with 'increased droprates' it's faster to pvp for gear to get you past the minimum ilevel thresholds if that's you goal (unless you're just extraordinarily lucky in LFR which I assume more people are not than are). More and more people are simply going to start turning up in pvp gear, causing a huge wave of whinging about that. We've reached the point where alts and catching up are increasingly going to concern people, making them more aware of how rubbish those kind of options are and transferring all the complaints over dailies to that. Blizzard will backpedal on it sooner or later somehow. No idea how that'll happen though.

Beyond which telling people to do LFR to gear up is pointless. If they can do it they will be (hell despite never winning anything I went back every week multiple times). If people are struggling with gearing it's because either they can't get in to LFR in the first place (solution pvp gear) or they aren't finding it easy to gear once they're there - making telling them to do it again redundant.
    Last edited by Windfury; 2013-03-11 at 05:28 AM.

Yeah I heard.

It's a stupid plan though, even with 'increased droprates' it's faster to pvp for gear to get you past the minimum ilevel thresholds if that's you goal (unless you're just extraordinarily lucky in LFR which I assume more people are not than are). More and more people are simply going to start turning up in pvp gear, causing a huge wave of whinging about that. We've reached the point where alts and catching up are increasingly going to concern people, making them more aware of how rubbish those kind of options are and transferring all the complaints over dailies to that. Blizzard will backpedal on it sooner or later somehow. No idea how that'll happen though.

Beyond which telling people to do LFR to gear up is pointless. If they can do it they will be (hell despite never winning anything I went back every week multiple times). If people are struggling with gearing it's because either they can't get in to LFR in the first place (solution pvp gear) or they aren't finding it easy to gear once they're there - making telling them to do it again redundant.
    Pvp gearing up sucks to though. Horde never fucking wins and it's demoralizing to keep stringing together fucking losses in an attempt to "grind" out a win. Notice they conveniently got rid of premade bgs this expansion as well. Man every option for gearing up sucks. Their all riddled with gates and grinds. It's pretty fucking gay.

And I've taken 3 toons through lfr every week this xpac and won exactly 3 pieces of loot, all on the same toon. RNG is RNG, it's great for you that you had luck with it, but you being lucky is not a guarantee that everyone else will have the same luck. It is not a reliable way to gear up. Sure it's nice to win things in LFR, but winning thigs *can't* be counted on, which is why it's a bad suggestion
    Winning things in any dungeon or raid can't be counted on. That's stupid logic.

They have buffed the LFR drop rate, which can further be enhanced by getting greater coins by doing dailies on the new island or getting a key for the new loot scenario.

Run heroics to get gear for LFR. Run LFR for extra pieces. Complete dailies for rep valor pieces. Do arena or bgs for epics pvp pieces.

Use a combination of the above to get to 470+ ilvl and you should be able to find a guild starting MSV.

/thread

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 04:35 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Leonard McCoy View Post
    Pvp gearing up sucks to though. Horde never fucking wins and it's demoralizing to keep stringing together fucking losses in an attempt to "grind" out a win. Notice they conveniently got rid of premade bgs this expansion as well. Man every option for gearing up sucks. Their all riddled with gates and grinds. It's pretty fucking gay.
    Pretty sure you don't even play anymore. Why do you even post in these threads.