Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Exclamation NO PANTS DAY:March 18th Read for Details

NO PANTS DAY:March 18th

Hey Everyone!

Interested in participating in some performance art in WOW? I am an art student and I am working on creating a worldwide NO PANTS social experiment/ performance art within the game of World of Warcraft. This post is to invite as many people as possible to join in. The task is simple: Remove the pants from character and go on playing the game as you would on an average day.
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    DAY: March 18, 2013
    TIME: All day

So spread the world and invite you friends! So lets make it official, the first ever WOW NO PANTS DAY IS ON!!

To tell you the truth, I'm not entirely sure how to react to this.

Well good, that's actually exactly what this performance is about. It may sound silly but we accept social norms and expectations in our every day lives whether we realize it or not. And as a result,some of those same social expectations are expected in MMO's such as in WOW. Now I know it may be silly but when I first started playing, I accidentally deleted the pants off of my avatar and I was incredibly embarrassed from all of the others playing and how they responded. But then this got me thinking about how we can outcast/ or look at someone differently when they don't play by the social rules we expect. So I hope this gave you a little more insight to what the overall objective is and if you're are still curious you should search improv everywhere:no pants subway ride just to see the kind of response we are hoping for.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    But what if we wearing robes... pants on/off makes no difference

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by vertex705 View Post
    But what if we wearing robes... pants on/off makes no difference
    So as a warlock I can't participate in this? Rather disappointed.

Also, try talking to one of the moderators on OpenRaid to advertise an event for it to get some publicity, if you're totally serious about it.

This is a performance piece and we understand that there are limitations to what can and cannot be achieved, therefore if you have alternative pieces of clothing or another character that has the accessibility to removal of pants that would be another option. I hope that helps and as said before, this will be a first so this is just one obstacle we will have in the process of making this a success but thank you for your reply.

Herald of the Titans theredviola's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I'm very excited about this.

Dungeons get too easy so I frequently take off my pants to tank anyway.
    "Do not only practice your art, but force yourself into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine." -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Should be a pants off Friday.

Um. We can only take off our pants in game?
    If you are particularly bold, you could use a Shiny Ditto. Do keep in mind though, this will infuriate your opponents due to Ditto's beauty. Please do not use Shiny Ditto. You have been warned.

It's not really about my pants being a societal norm. It's more about my stats being gone. I go into a raid missing gems and I get screamed at. Imagine if I went in with no pants.

For this performance our main object is creating and participating in a No Pants Day, I would encourage you as i think I have posted previously to explore Improv Everywhere. They are a performance group that is doing a lot of what we are interested in the form of MMO gaming. Although our performance is specific to no pants, I encourage you explore other options in removing clothes as well!

---------- Post added 2013-03-11 at 04:58 AM ----------

All understandable, trust me, I have been in your position and I hope you can look at it from a different perspective. This is just a chance to explore and see how many people we can get to participate and fight the odds/penalties of not complying with game standards.

Deleted
    I don't really see wearing clothes in WoW as a social norm, it's more of the fact it gives me stats. Hell if gear gave no benefit to gameplay, I'd probably run around naked the entire time.

Yes, indeed clothing benefits you in the game however that is exactly what the purpose of this performance piece. Try thinking about this in regards to why the creators of WOW chose to make clothing a beneficiary in the game. For one day we are asking that people challenge the game and expectations. I would also encourage you to experiment by taking the pants off of your character. I think you would be surprised with how others would react.

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont think people will really react at all, to be frank. People run around Shrine / Org completely naked for no apparent reason whatsoever, all of the time, and I've never seen anyone pay them any attention before. Doubt they will if you're running around with only no pants.
    If you do it while questing, dungeoning, raiding, or anything along those lines, anyone who notices will just say that you're an idiot for gimping your own performance and you'll most likely get vote kicked for underperforming before getting a chance to explain yourself. That's just how the WoW community is.

Edit: And it just doesn't seem like you're going to get enough publicity for the event in time. You might get... 5000? people interested in it, but 5,000 people amongst 10,000,000, spread over ~500 realms, in over 50 odd zones, it's not... Focused enough to catch anyone's attention.
    In comparison to what "improv anywhere" do, a similar event would be to get those 5000 people onto a single realm, in a single zone, where people actually notice what's going on. And even then they'd probably just think it's some gigantic RP gathering, or WPvP event, depending on what type of realm you're on. WoW just really isn't an appropriate setting to try this, because it's not socially abnormal to run around doing ridiculous things outside of group based activities.
    Last edited by ZaneBusby; 2013-03-11 at 06:49 AM.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theredviola View Post
    I'm very excited about this.

Dungeons get too easy so I frequently take off my pants to tank anyway.
    Hehe, kinda reminds me of a funny story when I was tanking FL without my pants on just to troll the raidleader me and the offtank and we managed to get rag down to P2 or P3 not sure. OT: why dont u post this to the wow forums better than non-official wow forums

...... Of all the stupid..

March 18th IT'S PANTSLESS O'CLOCK!!!!!

I'm in.

More people need to know about this.

slime

I never wear pants under my robe. I like the breeze.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by cmaurer View Post
    NO PANTS DAY:March 18th

Hey Everyone!

Interested in participating in some performance art in WOW? I am an art student and I am working on creating a worldwide NO PANTS social experiment/ performance art within the game of World of Warcraft. This post is to invite as many people as possible to join in. The task is simple: Remove the pants from character and go on playing the game as you would on an average day.
    IMPORTANT INFORMATION:
    DAY: March 18, 2013
    TIME: All day

So spread the world and invite you friends! So lets make it official, the first ever WOW NO PANTS DAY IS ON!!
    Do you even play bro?

If I log in, remove my pants, then log out for the rest of the day, does that count?