Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Salt Water Ocean under Europa

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/solarsyst...a20130305.html

Edit: Yes people! the moon! not the continent Europe! Don't expect NASA in europe.... and maybe the picture below will help?

We've known for a long time of a large liquid ocean under europa but now there is very strong evidence that not only is there water under Europa but salt water. I'm very glad that we are dedicating more time into understanding mars, but i think it's time we start developing a craft that will fly to Europa since there is a much bigger chance we will find bacterial life on Europa than Mars and if anything that is the most important discovery of all time

Its time to visit Europa! who's with me?
    Last edited by Nanaboostme; 2013-03-12 at 07:17 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    This has the potential to ruin space exploration forever. Think about it.

All of the most terrifying creatures on earth are in the ocean. So what if we send a probe to Europa, and the first alien life we ever find looks like this?

Suddenly nobody wants to be an astronaut anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post

All of the most terrifying creatures on earth are in the ocean. So what if we send a probe to Europa, and the first alien life we ever find looks like this?

If there's creatures like that out there, think of the size of the fossil fuel deposits they'd leave behind. We'd be all over that.

Imagine living on a moon, a mere floating rock, and looking up to the sky to see a storm ravaged gas giant staring back at you. All the while knowing there could be a hundred thousand times the discovery on that planet than here on this alien moon.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdrasti View Post
    If there's creatures like that out there, think of the size of the fossil fuel deposits they'd leave behind. We'd be all over that.
    You'd need to build drilling ships capable of fighting those things, and find crews willing to man them. On the upside, in addition to the oil you drilled, you'd also be able to process more oil from the corpses of the ones you killed.

And you wouldn't even have to worry about over-fishing them. Because honestly, who's going to complain if something like that goes extinct?

Still, one of my biggest fears as a space explorer would be finding myself in the wrong scene of a Starship Troopers re-enactment...

You'd need to build drilling ships capable of fighting those things, and find crews willing to man them. On the upside, in addition to the oil you drilled, you'd also be able to process more oil from the corpses of the ones you killed.

And you wouldn't even have to worry about over-fishing them. Because honestly, who's going to complain if something like that goes extinct?

Still, one of my biggest fears as a space explorer would be finding myself in the wrong scene of a Starship Troopers re-enactment...
    There was a bug... in his brain!

And I'd totally be an astronaut if I was given laser weapons and could go fight giant worm things on Neptune and Alpha Centuri.

Edit -> Also, a little more research has led to the fact that the European Space Agency is planning on sending a probe named 'JUICE' to Europa. Jupiter Ice Explorer or something.
    Last edited by obdigore; 2013-03-11 at 04:38 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    There was a bug... in his brain!

And I'd totally be an astronaut if I was given laser weapons and could go fight giant worm things on Neptune and Alpha Centuri.
    Shit, I sure as hell wouldn't. Maybe if it was on land, but when you're in a boat and this thing is constantly diving and surfacing...

well, you're in his house now.

What are you talking about?

This is AMERICA you and I live in. We would have people lining up by the thousands to go on missions to conquer this new nation of worm monsters.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post

This is AMERICA you and I live in. We would have people lining up by the thousands to go on missions to conquer this new nation of worm monsters.
    so.much.win.

10+ Year Old Account

The nation of worm monsters have W.M.D.S

Quote Originally Posted by Alastaircrawly View Post
    The nation of worm monsters have W.M.D.S
    Worms of Mass Destruction? Like, worms that can destroy mass?!

10+ Year Old Account
    Worms of Mass Destruction? Like, worms that can destroy mass?!

weapons of mass destruction

Shit, I sure as hell wouldn't. Maybe if it was on land, but when you're in a boat and this thing is constantly diving and surfacing...

well, you're in his house now.
    I would have an underwater mech by the time we have military resources to fight underwater wyrms on a water planet. Have you ever seen what water super-heated by lasers does to wyrmflesh? It smells delicious. Like napalm in the morning. 'MERICA! ;P

just to go down i history to be the first person from earth to kill an Alien lol
    Quote Originally Posted by -Ethos- View Post
    I literally die every time i see people using literally wrong.

weapons of mass destruction
    Why do you have to go and ruin my joke?

dude i hope this exists under Europa

that's the most terrifying planet ever. i almost hyperventilate just thinking about it T_T

10+ Year Old Account
    on a serious note watch them find some sort of virus that takes out the whole human race.

Yo, right here.

on a serious note watch them find some sort of virus(or parasite/bacteria whathaveyou) that takes out the whole human race.
    Also yes, me in blue.
    __

I want to make friends with the big worm.

Well except for the massive dosses of radiation and the fact that the surface pressure is lower than that of the Moon, and the fact that it is locked with one side facing Jupiter and the other side facing outward, and the fact that it is extremely cold (on the surface anyway)... sure, why not. Just a few challenges there to overcome before we take over Europa :P