Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    And then there's the good portion of the playerbase that likes story/plot, and likes her for just that. (Not that all players who like story/plot likes her)
    "she killed dozens of people and raised them into undead"
    "yeah, but it isn't the goddamn same thing as what the LK did, she isn't the Lich Queen.
    The only thing that differentiates her from LK is that she's under horde banner, she said so herself.

10+ Year Old Account
    Making a fantasy character pale, muscly and giving them red eyes is not an automatic "awesome character!", unless your in the age group of people that instantly fall for that type of character.

Sylvanas has a good backstory and, to be totally honest, I still vividly remember her as a banshee model in Warcraft 3 when I think of her.

I'm also not really a fan of dead women, so I can't say that she appears physically attractive to me in the slightest, I do recognize that dead women appeal to some and, hey, Sylvanas isn't even physically dead enough for some of those brave souls! They might like it if she was missing a breast or an arm or something.

..Crazy F*ckers...
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

Quote Originally Posted by rowaasr13 View Post
    Emo Mary Sues and Marty Stus are always popular. No matter how many people find them horrible, boring, and plain, there's great amount of people who just love evil badass who can do whatever he pleases because of plot armor. Yes, this type of character will always be popular with certain audience.

It is just like asking if soap opera / steamy love novel about female would be equally popular with male character - i.e. character sex actually have no relevance whatsoever.
    I'm calling bullshit on your post. I don't like Sylvanas and think the fact she has tits is the only reason she's popular, but she's not a Mary Sue. The reason is simple: A Mary Sue is an idealized self insert character. Sylvanas is not a self insert that we're aware of. Now if you'd called Thrall a Mary Sue then you would have been spot on.

However, Sylvanas is very much emo.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Sigmar View Post
    I'm calling bullshit on your post. I don't like Sylvanas and think the fact she has tits is the only reason she's popular, but she's not a Mary Sue. The reason is simple: A Mary Sue is an idealized self insert character. Sylvanas is not a self insert that we're aware of. Now if you'd called Thrall a Mary Sue then you would have been spot on.

However, Sylvanas is very much emo.
    Thral isn't a Mary Sue, and neither is Sylvanas "very much emo", she's way to angry and proactive to be "emo".

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Farseer Lolotea View Post
    Considering how much the fanbase adores Illidan, male!Sylvanas would probably be more popular.
    Pretty much this. Dark antiheroes/villain protagonists tend to be massively popular if they have a cool character design, regardless of gender.

10+ Year Old Account
    Another one of these threads, Salandrin?

No, that's no mistake. She is plot armored Mary Sue. Otherwise Argents and humans would crumbstomp her into dust many times already instead of just "having concerns" about her and there wouldn't be any ass pull ressurections either.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    The only thing that differentiates her from LK is that she's under horde banner, she said so herself.
    Nope. She never said that that was the *only* thing. Garrosh asked how she was different and she gave an example, possibly picked that one because she wanted to piss him off even more.
    Cave Cave Deus Videt

Eh, goths and depressed people are generally loved by fanbases of all kinds, which I don't get personally. I wouldn't say that her being a female is the only thing that makes people like her, but it sure is the biggest contributing factor. I personally can't stand her, it's like they're trying to make her epic but make her super corny and annoying instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Thral isn't a Mary Sue, and neither is Sylvanas "very much emo", she's way to angry and proactive to be "emo".
    Emo really only means emotional, no matter the emotions. For whatever reason it has been associated with depressed people the most though.

I don't really care about lore, but the little bit about her I do know I think is cool. So even if she were a man I would think (s)he was cool.
    Although I'll admit, I think her being a female adds to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slummish View Post
    I don't get it. I've gone AFK a million times to blow my bf so he'd get off my back and let me raid. What's the problem here? People have sex...

Partially, people enjoy strong woman characters in stories. Other part is because she doesn't give a damn, does what she wants, and is a very VERY powerful, fairly dangerous being in her own right.

Those forsaken starting quests REALLY have you rooting for their side almost right off.
    Last edited by Vorticough; 2013-03-11 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Nope. She never said that that was the *only* thing. Garrosh asked how she was different and she gave an example, possibly picked that one because she wanted to piss him off even more.
    Especially since it came paired with the appropriately inappropriate, insouciant Female Blood Elf salute emote.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerdoz View Post
    I like her. But I do not care a single bit if it is a he or a she. Do not understand what that has to do with anything
    I don't understand this either... I mean it is just a virtual char.

I prefer the cunning, plotting bad guys over the brute force rage bad guys, so I like the blood elves and forsaken. As long as the male version of sylvanas was clever like her, then yes, I would still like it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sylvanas could be a freaking hozen, and I would still love her character.

really silly way to observe a supposed problem..I mean, are popular male characters popular because they're male? It really doesn't matter, good stories usually need both.

She's the leader of the undead, the coolest race in the game (except trolls... also hozen).
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thoruga View Post
    Not only but her being a female is a huge factor
    Yes, the other huge factor is her model being extremly good looking ingame and in most artwork. If she were ugly most people wouldn't care either or scream for her blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    She's the leader of the undead, the coolest race in the game (except trolls... also hozen).
    New Race in 5.4 - Undead Hozens

When i started to play wow i didnt even know about her, but i wanted to play undead. I like her what shes trying to do, in fact undeads only race whose goals i like and share.
    I will not hide, it's nice that she's a girl, but this is not the only factor.

Quote Originally Posted by TylerN View Post
    Sylvanas could be a freaking hozen, and I would still love her character.
    What are we, if not ooks to this dook?