Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think she'd be as popular because there are the "always a high schooler" guys who only care that she's "hott". However, the forsaken in general are liked because of their moral relativism. Hate someone because they killed you and brought you back in a form you find repulsive? Kill them. Now that they're dead and they were the only way you were getting new recruits? Kill people and bring them back in a form they find repulsive.

If anyone asks say "hey, it's better than death". Never-mind the fact that they wouldn't even BE dead if it weren't for you.

People would still care if it was a he instead of a she, but her being female just makes her even more of a badass.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by thoruga View Post
    Not only but her being a female is a huge factor
    Yeah, I have to agree. I guess a large portion of her fanbase just likes her because she's female and she probably also attracts a lot of goth kids.
    Other than that, I think Sylvanas is a highly overrated character.

Quote Originally Posted by Salandrin View Post
    Do you think that is true? If Sylvanas were simply a male elf, turned into a Forsaken, and was looked exactly the way she did now, except no breasts, slim body, and small face, but a burly, Sith Lord looking Elf, would people even care about her?
    1) she's a female, 2) she has more balls than half the males.

Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    I wonder if people liked Arthas more if he was the hot female, and Sylvanas as the male...
    As a villain, Arthas is quite liked as a male already. So yeah, a lot of it is what they do and not their body package as they are committing such evil deeds.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattlehunter View Post
    I prefer Garrosh to her, though. That guy just wants to crush faces and kill people and do generally bad things - my kinda guy. It's the world of warcraft, after all, not the world of rainbows, puppies, and butterflies... although you wouldn't know it at a glance half the time.
    Until they made him go nuts in MOP (all corrupted and shit, basically an excuse to make him killable) I liked Garrosh as a character.
    Last edited by nightfalls; 2013-03-11 at 06:28 PM.

I like her more because she is female. I also almost always play female characters because I guess I'm just more interested in women. I can't remember the last time I was given a choice between male and female, and chose male. I also spent half my time in wow playing mogit dress up, inventing a new transmog outfit and collecting the gear for my bloodelf.

Having said all that I love the style of the Forsaken. They just do whatever they have to do to survive. Also the fact that schadenfreude is about the only pleasure they have left in "life", makes them interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    She gains more notariaty because she is a girl, I'm sorry but thats a fact. And not just because she's a girl, but because her design is intentionally hot and her outfit skimpy.

And yes, there is a good portion of the playerbase in wow that doesn't care for story or plot or faction, they only care for how something looks, all the other details are pointless

"she killed dozens of people and raised them into undead"
    "Yeah but she's hawt!"
    "Arthas did the same"
    "He's a guy, not hawt.."
    People still really liked her even before her model change, and the last model had pretty modest clothing.

Sylvanas is doing things now that are unambiguously evil, even things that she herself despised in life. I think that is part of the central tragedy of the character, though. I look forward to some exploration of what has changed, and why -- was it just the belief in her own damnation? I'm not sure because, well, if it were that simple she would be a helluva lot nastier than she is. She spares Lorna when she had absolutely no rational reason to do so; she could have betrayed her word, killed her, killed Crowley, killed Bloodfang just for spite and aggravation. Instead, she spares her and honors her deal. She kills Liam Greymane and is genuinely pissed that she did -- that's subject to many interpretations, of course, including just annoyance at not having killed Genn, or... that she didn't see Liam as the combatant she was there to kill in the first place.

There are clearly odd and persistent streaks of mortal compassion and decency still in there, in a way that they had long stopped being in Arthas, by comparison. But at the same time, her dark side is getting steadily darker.

Quote Originally Posted by Eazy View Post
    I don't really like her.
    She's acting like she's boss of the horde and tried to kill Arthas, so no.
    The only thing I supported Sylvanas in was killing Arthas, probably the only character which was more unbearable than her.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Trassk View Post
    She gains more notariaty because she is a girl, I'm sorry but thats a fact. And not just because she's a girl, but because her design is intentionally hot and her outfit skimpy.

And yes, there is a good portion of the playerbase in wow that doesn't care for story or plot or faction, they only care for how something looks, all the other details are pointless

"she killed dozens of people and raised them into undead"
    "Yeah but she's hawt!"
    "Arthas did the same"
    "He's a guy, not hawt.."
    Yeah and Arthas is my favourite lore character by a mile and that's in not an uncommon opinion. Yes you are allowed to like the villains in a fictional universe and 9/10 they are far, far more compelling than the protagonist. In Sylvanas' case she walks a fine line between being morally grey and damn right evil. She has a good backstory and you don't know shit she's gonna do next. Yes the fact the Sylvanas is a female does help, the cruel and I cringe typing this "hot" (to some people..) and independent women always tend to be popular.

10+ Year Old Account
    Naaa, i don't think that's the case... Look at Illidan or Arthas (Well i know Sylvanas is not as cool as Arthas), they both have way too many fans :P

Looks at Tyrande, hmm hate her but she has boobies so i guess I must.

being a bad ass and lot's of horde players dreaming with the day, that the forsaken will rule the horde makes her even more popular

Do you think that is true? If Sylvanas were simply a male elf, turned into a Forsaken, and was looked exactly the way she did now, except no breasts, slim body, and small face, but a burly, Sith Lord looking Elf, would people even care about her?
    There's a dearth of awesome women characters in most video games (by awesome I mean deeper character progression and development). Most are either "to be rescued", "the hot sidekick", or a way to advance the plot for a male character (***cough**** Aggra ***cough***).

Sylvanas is one of the few exceptions (Kerrigan in SC is another that comes to mind). She's got a very rich and unique history. She isn't anchored down to some weird love that competes for time in her character's story progression (not always necessary, but there's about a million male protagonists who are unencumbered in this way and very, very few female ones so it is notable). She's got her own vision (she works to protect the Forsaken - ok, you can see that I have a major Forsaken bias here!!) that brings her into conflict with other major protagonists (Garrosh, Varian, etc) without simply being a reaction to their visions. She is feared, and she is dangerous in a non-sexual way (something that is rare for a female character, again Kerrigan comes to mind here as well as one of the exceptions).

Frankly, she's one of my favorite characters for all the reasons above. Does it help her popularity that she's hot? Of course it does. But frankly I think she'd be a very interesting character even if she wasn't.

As for "would she be as popular if she was an ugly guy?" question, I think it's misplaced. Women get so few roles like her, I don't understand why the OP and others are so insecure as to attack her character for being a woman. There's a million good looking male protagonists in roles like this who are very popular (Arthas, for instance), but again very few females.
    Last edited by jason1975; 2013-03-11 at 08:10 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badhairday View Post
    Nope. She never said that that was the *only* thing. Garrosh asked how she was different and she gave an example, possibly picked that one because she wanted to piss him off even more.
    Well if that is the case then she's also a moron on top of that. What kind of brain process made her conclude that its a good idea to fuel detest agianst her people even more? At times likes this I get the feeling that game mechanics and fact that too many people rolled Undeads are all that really saves her and forsekens from destruction.

It's no wonder new upcoming warcheif is about to do "something" about her.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not female but tragic formerly heroic female burned by a male and then by her own people. A male elf in that situation would be.. well... Kael'thas.

Deleted
    I am sure she would lose a very big part of her fan base if she looked like Therazane. There's a lot of small teenage booys out there who find her sexual appeal very attractive. Attractive enough to look past her decieving and selfish villian-like personallity.

Lol, we all know that any hero has to be sexual attractive or crowd won't accept him/her.
    Personally I like the story of Sylvanas. And yes, if she was a male, I'll enjoy this character much less. And, so noone can tell I'm just in for a fanservice, I don't like Tyrande's (and whole NE lore, tbh)
    Just wondering: why is there so many topics regarding how bad Sylvanas is?

Good and/or likeable characters shine because of how they're written, not what gender they're written as. I think if she was male she'd still have just as big of a fanbase.

Mind, I wouldn't consider people who like her exclusively for her lady parts people who genuinely like her.

Actually, I think she has attracted equal parts love and hate for being a woman. Some folks like a strong female character who has more guts than most of the male faction leaders, and others hate her and think she's a "bitch" for it.

I think the better question here is: would people like her if she were ugly? You know, if she actually represented being dead, with worms crawling out of her skin and her face sunken and rotten? People seem to like/be more accepting of a character who is conventionally attractive, both male and female.

Probably, but not at the same level.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.