Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mavett View Post
    aight , just got to try a bullpup ar (M4's being phased out from IDF reserve forces and replaced with TAR-21's) took a while to get used too after using M4A1 for 9 years, and actualy love it not to mention the space age looks .
    Don't get me wrong, I don't mind bullpups. I would love me some AUG or maybe a Kel-Tec RFB.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Lets say you have a two 3 inch lines. One is all red and the other is 48% red and 52% blue. Does that mean there's a 50-50 chance they're both red or is the second line matching the all red line by 48%?
    ^^^ Wells using an analogy

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gismo7354 View Post
    Ummm? I don't think so. Not saying the tanker can't but I have never heard of someone rolling one. I'm stationed at Altus AFB where they do all the initial training for pilots and boom operators and have never heard of that.
    It wasn't a full roll, although I certainly do believe one of those monsters could certainly pull one off. The pilot basically banked the thing so hard that it did about a 150 degree flip, so we were *almost* completely upsidedown for some time. The force of the turn kept everything pretty solidly pressed to the floor until we leveled off again.

And yes, they can maintain flight at that angle. In fact, some of our older booms have done refueling at that angle before. Or so they've told me, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    Don't fret too much over the America bit, our best tank does use armor and (the original 105mm) a gun designed in the UK after all. Hell, most of our crew-served weapons are of Belgian origin, whether by design or manufacture. John Browning did design the M2, but worked for FNH at the time in Liege, Belgium
    Read that the US Army ordered another batch of CG m3 last year(ordered a bunch 2011 as well) ;P
    Funny how some stuff sticks around for decades(with some upgrades). Same with the FN weapons, some of those have been around for a while now.

Thursday, September 27th, 2012

Defence and security company Saab has signed a new contract with the U.S. Army for the company’s Carl-Gustaf man-portable weapon system. This marks the second time the U.S. Army has bought the 84mm recoilless rifle system to equip its forces. The total order value is $31 million (approximately MSEK 205).

Long in service with U.S. Special Operations Forces, the system has only recently been taken into service by the U.S. Army for its regular infantry units as well.

“This is another great milestone for Saab and the Carl-Gustaf system. This new order demonstrates the continued belief by the customer in the capabilities and versatility of our product”, says Tomas Samuelsson, Senior Vice President and Head of Saab’s business area Dynamics.

Read more: http://www.defencetalk.com/us-army-o...#ixzz2Nc3g5FhD
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-03-15 at 01:03 PM.
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

I can't see it in this thread yet but surely the BEST tech ever invented was the Bevvie/kettle in use in the UK tanks. How else can you make a brew while moving?

Ummm? I don't think so. Not saying the tanker can't but I have never heard of someone rolling one. I'm stationed at Altus AFB where they do all the initial training for pilots and boom operators and have never heard of that.

707 is a pretty amazing airplane. Given the right conditions it can be rolled...well almost anything can be rolled. Now whether you have heard about it or not...I doubt this is something that advertised around the water cooler...or done all that often.
    Get a grip man! It's CHEESE!

Deleted
    The 1K17 Szhatie (Russian:1К17 Сжатие — "Compression") is a self-propelled laser vehicle of Russian origin. The platform uses a MSTA-S chassis with a battery of laser projectors mounted in the turret. It was developed by the Soviet Union in order to disable the optical-electronic equipment of enemy missiles, ground and aerial vehicles.
    History

The 1K17 Szhatie was developed in the 1970s and 1980s. Although the Soviet Union attempted to keep the plans secret, the Pentagon managed to obtain drawings from defectors. Western intelligence services code named it the Stiletto. With the collapse of the Soviet Union, the development of the Szhatie was abandoned, as the development and manufacturing of the laser projection system had become too expensive and unnecessary. Two of these "tanks" were tested, with one being scrapped and the other being displayed in the Army Technology Museum near Moscow, but without its laser projector.
    Design

The "tank" used an intense laser beam to disable the optical-electronic equipment of the enemy vehicles. This was created by focusing light through 30 kg of artificial rubies which made the whole system very expensive to produce. The optics that produced the laser were placed at the end of a silver coated spiral which helped amplify the beam and increase convergence. The energy to power the laser was provided by a generator and an auxiliary battery system. The lenses themselves were able to operate in different environments by moving metal caps closer to protect the lens. It was also equipped with a 12.7mm NSV machine gun to defend itself against attacks by infantry and air.

There was also the similar-purpose laser system, called "Sangvin", that is based on the ZSU-23-4 self-propelled anti-aircraft gun.[1]

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Britain is buying the F35 as a replacement for the Harrier's vertical take-off and landing capabilities (that they decommissioned half a decade ago).

I liked the plastic vine leaves the North Koreans had tied around their necks. Are there any fake vineyards on the Korean Peninsula? Kinda surprised those guns still worked, I mean they have to be at least 60 years old. Although they were only firing one or two rounds from each gun. Maybe more would blow the gun up?
    I was talking about the Royal Air Force, not the navy. I think that's clear when I use the words "Eurofighter" and "Tornado" in the same sentence, which are both RAF jets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackmoves View Post
    Read that the US Army ordered another batch of CG m3 last year(ordered a bunch 2011 as well) ;P
    Funny how some stuff sticks around for decades(with some upgrades). Same with the FN weapons, some of those have been around for a while now.
    USMC still uses the 1911 pistol for their Force Recon elements. :P

Let's not get started on the AK series...

You need to get out more then...or listen a bit better around the watercooler...I served in the canadian forces and this happened to me:
    So Im assigned to fly basically as a glorified armed guard for rations being delivered in Afghanistan...bout halfway over the Atlantic the pilot turns to me and says
    Him: Want to see something cool?
    I think sure...why not...
    Me: Alright..what ya got?
    Him: Strap in tight...
    Me: ok..."wondering wtf this Cpt has on his mind"
    Him: You in good? everyone in good?
    "Chorus of voices of yes..and smug grins on their faces...clearly I wasnt the first shmuck they did this to"

The fucking CARGO PLANE then proceeded to do three barrel rolls in procession...a CC-130J Hercules....I can only compare that to maybe a dump truck driving in a nascar race and winning....needless to say I got even....oh did I ever....anyways....after I cleaned the shit out of my pants and vowed revenge for seven generations, i learned NEVER to take an aircraft at face value...

Nuclear Reactors are a vital part to a lot of the Military, and are used heavily now in Submarines in many cases. The technology was once enourmous, but as each year passes, nuclear capability is made more miniaturised and efficient.

A new age however of power is dawning on us, an age of near limitless energy which is nearly entirely clean. Fusion. This month, a team in France will turn on a Fusion Reactor, that at first of course with all these things will be loud, violent, heavy, expensive and unfriendly to the environment, but over time we'll start to see Fusion reactors become more common and more adaptable.

The reason I mention all of this, is because some of the latest in Laser Weaponry is being held back by the power source that is needs. As Fusion Reactors are now a reality, and are being improved, we could start to see an era of Laser Technology take over the battlefield, rather then shells, bullets or artillery. Who knows, maybe the Star Wars Pulse Blaster isn't to far away!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyve View Post
    This month, a team in France will turn on a Fusion Reactor
    If you mean ITER you're incorrect. 14 years to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Astera View Post
    If you mean ITER you're incorrect. 14 years to go.
    Ahh. My apologises. I was reading about how components of the Fusion Reactor are being tested, and installed during this month. Still, FUSION! Holy fucking shit balls!

10+ Year Old Account
    Ahh. My apologises. I was reading about how components of the Fusion Reactor are being tested, and installed during this month. Still, FUSION! Holy fucking shit balls!
    50MW in, 500MW out.

Not bad for a first step. (If it works)

Quote Originally Posted by Raintola View Post
    USMC still uses the 1911 pistol for their Force Recon elements. :P

Let's not get started on the AK series...
    hehe isn't US forces still using a (modern)version of the m14 as well?

If it ain't broke don't fix it etc... ;P

Speaking of rifles what about the new battle rifles? Has there been a decision on what the future holds yet? I think there is a selection process going on? Or is it finished?
    The nerve is called the "nerve of awareness". You cant dissect it. Its a current that runs up the center of your spine. I dont know if any of you have sat down, crossed your legs, smoked DMT, and watch what happens... but what happens to me is this big thing goes RRRRRRRRRAAAAAWWW! up my spine and flashes in my brain... well apparently thats whats going to happen if I do this stuff...

Deleted

Speaking of rifles what about the new battle rifles? Has there been a decision on what the future holds yet? I think there is a selection process going on? Or is it finished?
    As said before in this thread, no one can give out details but keep an eye on the 6.8 potentially replacing 5.56.

The reason I mention all of this, is because some of the latest in Laser Weaponry is being held back by the power source that is needs. As Fusion Reactors are now a reality, and are being improved, we could start to see an era of Laser Technology take over the battlefield, rather then shells, bullets or artillery. Who knows, maybe the Star Wars Pulse Blaster isn't to far away!
    Interesting, but artillery is probably the best and most cost effective ground support element around tbh, I don't see it going away anytime soon.

Here is an intersting "analysis" of what a modern artillery unit can provide on the battlefield.

Just for the sake of letting this not be the only thing I write here just a small comparison.
    A battery of PzH2000 brings ca. 1.440 155mm rounds per hour onto a target area. That's roughly the equivalent of 280 500lb bombs. As a light fighter won't carry many 500lb bombs we are talking about something like 140 sorties for every hour of continious fire of just one battery of modern arty. Quite cost effective when it comes to cost, logistics and response time...
    add modern gps guided artillery shells into the mix and you got precision covered as well!

---------- Post added 2013-03-16 at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    As said before in this thread, no one can give out details but keep an eye on the 6.8 potentially replacing 5.56.
    Yeah read what you've written about it in this thread, sounds promissing!
    Last edited by Jackmoves; 2013-03-16 at 03:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalyyn View Post
    It wasn't a full roll, although I certainly do believe one of those monsters could certainly pull one off. The pilot basically banked the thing so hard that it did about a 150 degree flip, so we were *almost* completely upsidedown for some time. The force of the turn kept everything pretty solidly pressed to the floor until we leveled off again.

And yes, they can maintain flight at that angle. In fact, some of our older booms have done refueling at that angle before. Or so they've told me, anyway.
    Ah that makes more sense. Yeah, that plane can maneuver pretty well for a heavy aircraft. It can also zoom along at a nice speed. I wouldn't doubt they can refuel in a steep bank. I've seen many refuelings in the turns at the end of the race tracks. Nothing to your extreme but still amazing. Two planes planes making a turn in the sky while hooked up and passing gas.

Quote Originally Posted by poser765 View Post
    707 is a pretty amazing airplane. Given the right conditions it can be rolled...well almost anything can be rolled. Now whether you have heard about it or not...I doubt this is something that advertised around the water cooler...or done all that often.
    Never said the plane couldn't roll. Just saying they don't. It is not a maneuver they teach or practice. It is not something most pilots are gonna attempt else they will lose their wings and never fly in the USAF again. Most pilots aren't show offs like Bud Holland. A couple years ago a mc-12 crew rolled one over Afghanistan. Rumor is they are no longer flying in the USAF. Pilots are not going to jeopardize their careers to show off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ehrenpanzer View Post
    You need to get out more then...or listen a bit better around the watercooler
    My "water cooler" is flying aboard the C-17 aircraft. I'm an loadmaster initial qualification instructor. I'm stationed at a very small base that's sole purpose is initial qualification of C-17s and KC-135s. I work and train with the KC-135 guys daily. I've deployed with these guys. Many of the KC-135 guys are my buddies. I believe I would know if they roll their aircraft. Never said the aircraft can't roll. Just saying that they don't do it.

They are as, essentially, a DMR (Designated Marksman Rifle) and sniper system. It's lost it's full-auto ability and has undergone a few cosmetic changes, along with an option for using a shorter barrel. Even then, the M-14 is basically an M-1 Garand action chambered in .308/7.62x51mm. I'm actually in the process of building a Mk 14 EBR version of the M-14. It's going to cost $3000-$4000, but it's much more satisfying, to me, to build your own.

My "water cooler" is flying aboard the C-17 aircraft. I'm an loadmaster initial qualification instructor. I'm stationed at a very small base that's sole purpose is initial qualification of C-17s and KC-135s. I work and train with the KC-135 guys daily. I've deployed with these guys. Many of the KC-135 guys are my buddies. I believe I would know if they roll their aircraft. Never said the aircraft can't roll. Just saying that they don't do it.
    I'm not a pilot or aircrew but a lot of folks from my company (myself reluctantly included) did a lot of fooling around with mraps and humvees, jumping them on pontoon bridges, breaking the regulation speed limit on the highway (45 mph really is too slow for a freeway stateside) and we were even ordered to overload our 7 ton trucks sometimes to double their legal troop capacity. Our instructors would be the last people we would tell about it.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Anyway, not so much gun or tank kinda related (though i love the Hecate II from GGO), if VRMMORPG type tech was to invented, it would be for training troops, supposing they haven't already started.