Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Why did you start playing this game?

why?
    I started playing this game due to the lore behind all of it. I played Warcraft 3 RoC and TFT and was absolutely moved by the story behind it...

Which Race?
    Seeing how humans were and still are my favorite race in WC3, I think it would be fair to play such race in WoW. Most of my toons are humans even WAY before we got Every Man for Himself

Which Class?
    Paladin it being so imba in the game itself (Divine Shield > Heal = GG)

Why Horde/Alliance?
    After playing both factions during the game I sided with the Alliance due to them being more "civilized" and better looking whereas Tauren, Orcs and Trolls look very tribe-ish and I'm a sucker for aesthetics.

How about you fellow champions? To keep it more fun, try using the same format!

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I started playing after i started soloing Uber Tristram on my smite-a-din in diablo II, i needed something more and was immediately taken in by the scope of the world, its huge, i think we take that for granted these days with so many top level characters and flying mounts. i still remember trekking on foot until level 40 and the pains of trying to level my first toon as a paladin. good memories

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why?
    I'd wanted to get into WoW when the game was in beta, but at that time I was a kid and the ways of the internet were confusing to me. Instead I got into the game in 2005 pretty much on a whim. I was all "I wanna play an online game that's not runescape." And I found an old magazine that discussed beta-WoW.

Which Race?
    I picked Dwarf, because from what I'd read they had the highest starting strength and stamina for Alliance. Back then I assumed starting stats actually mattered, I had no idea they became moot by level 30.

Which Class?
    I was told once "the best class for a rookie player is the warrior." So Warrior it was.

Why Horde/Alliance?
    I hadn't done any research on the Horde outside of seeing it had Orcs. My immediate reaction was to go "Orcs are evil, Horde is evil." Low and behold, 7 years later, I was proven correct. These days I play Horde because I can't be assed to shove over $40 for a faction change.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Friend told me to try it out during his Grand Marshal grind. The hours he put into it and the horror stories I heard from others definitely deterred me.

I ended up joining towards the end of Vanilla when they changed the PVP system a little bit -- sadly, I probably would have done the GM grind, had I started playing in time. I'm glad I didn't though, as it would have been tough for me to pull myself away from the game at that point and not neglect my more important obligations.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bionics View Post
    Friend told me to try it out during his Grand Marshal grind. The hours he put into it and the horror stories I heard from others definitely deterred me.

I ended up joining towards the end of Vanilla when they changed the PVP system a little bit -- sadly, I probably would have done the GM grind, had I started playing in time. I'm glad I didn't though, as it would have been tough for me to pull myself away from the game at that point and not neglect my more important obligations.
    The old GM grind. Really that should be the basis for how the Arena rankings work. Not "consistent play gets you rank," but flat out "not playing makes you lose rank."
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Why?
    I was looking for a hobby and a friend of mine played, he suggested it.

Which Race?
    I picked Night elf at first, I'm not sure why I just picked one at random.

Which Class?
    Rogue, No real reason besides the fact I've played one in other games, that was short lived.

Why Horde/Alliance?
    Horde simply because I had more friends and more help on that side when starting out then it just became more comfortable.
    Infectionate Pawsthorne Bubblesbee
    [A] [H]
    Nasturtium Fisticuffs Blesshu Sinnocence Ellipsis Hiddenfee Teddiursa

Because it looked cool and fun, and it's stayed that way for 8 years.

Pretty simple.

Why?
    I was already playing a few MMOs, so one themed after WC3 definitely piqued my interest. I was losing interest in EQ and didn't play AO quite as much as I used to, so WoW's timing was great.

Which Race?
    I went with Forsaken because they seemed to have more flavor than the other races. Since I played during the beta I knew how broken Devouring Plague was, so that had a factor in the choice too.

Which Class?
    I wanted a class that could heal, and priest was really the only class that seemed to do it well.

Why Horde/Alliance?
    I went Horde only because I wanted to play a Forsaken. I've never really had a preference when it comes to factions. I also had a plan to "save" playing Alliance until I got bored with the Horde. It was a good plan too; rolling new Alliance characters on a new realm was almost like playing a whole new game.

Why?Friends were playing it in school, and playing The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion at the time heavily influenced me wanting to go into it due to being magic/dragons etc.

Which race? Originally was Undead Priest cos of the old model viewer brought them up in Merciless and I was :O! After my trial ended, I made a real account and went to Troll Shaman. A friend then told me to move to his server so I did and made a Tauren Druid. Currently though my Druid is kinda... not being played much due to dead server.

Which class? Originally Priest because spellcaster and healer, went to Shaman cos I dunno, afterwards went Druid because everything and shapeshifter! Currently deciding between Monk and Warlock.

Why Horde/Alliance? Friend that influenced me was Horde. As was his brother.
    Last edited by Runeweaver; 2013-02-24 at 05:48 PM.

Deleted
    Many of my friends were playing and told me I should try it out. So me and another friend got ourselves a copy and that was that.

Originally I played a Tauren because I thought they were cool, however friend which I bought the game with rolled a Troll and I rerolled at lvl 9 to walk in his footsteps, wanna be as I was.

I was a shaman, because when I told my friends I wanted a class which was decent as DPS for both PvE and PvP they recommended a shaman. :Oh god why: they must have been really noobish. However I still call my shaman my Main after 5 or 6 years of being mid to bottom of the food chain.

Obviously I joined the Horde, partly because my friends were Horde, although I would probably have rolled Horde anyway because Alliance had the mainstream races (dwarfs, humans, gnomes aka skinny dwarfes) whereas Horde had, in my 13 year old mind, awesome minotaurs, vicious, brutal orcs and freakin' zombies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Many of my... how do you say it, it's not like friends but people you know and consider pals. Shit. Well anyways, many of my pals played and tbh, the only thing that really kept me playing, was the silly thought that the monthly fee was around 50 euros. I have no idea where I got that idea but that really held me buying the game.
    Finally I heard truths about this game from my co-worker and he gave me the guestpass.. Obviously I was hooked! I used to play WC3 a lot and warcraft universe was familiar to me so... here I am.
    This happened in 2006 and my first char was gnome warlock with the pink pigtails. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    Have you read the planned frost mage "nerfs" ?!? It's like nerfing a hangman's rope by coloring it blue.
    Mr. Smith about the cost of Triple-spec
    3k gold right off the bat, about 5 silver a week later.

Deleted
    why?
    Got tired of Runescape, friend was playing Wc3, he told me it's time we try something new.

Which Race?
    Started as Night elf, then switched to Blood elf cause they look good :3

Which Class?
    Wanted to be a Druid healer, changed to Frost Mage after 8 levels or so, Don't know why

Why Horde/Alliance?
    Started as Ally then switched to Horde cuz badass

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Why?

Friend bought it for me. Cause a friend of his in high school played and said it was a very good game.

Race?

We started as human. Mainly cause my buddy said horde looked gay.

Class?

Started as a lock got to lvl six. Made a warrior played that for basically the rest of vanilla. Them made a Tauren Druid.

Horde/alliance?

Play both still atm. Least you don't two accounts any more.

Why?
    I had always been a fan of the RTS games and I was more than excited to see that world expanded on.

Which Race?
    Forsaken for a number of reasons. The Scourge was my favorite army in WC3 and I really loved how the Forsaken was a continuation of the Sylvanas's storyline.

Which Class?
    I played a Priest in beta and a warlock in live. Just something drew me to those classes.

Why Horde/Alliance?
    I would have played both if there weren't the restrictions on the servers back then, but ultimately the Horde won out for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    why?
    Because of WoWs bad reputation and because of a friend of mine who had tried WoW, but couldn't install it.. hehe

Which Race?
    started as gnome because I thought they were so freakishly awesome (which I still kinda do, but their animations are just god awful)

Which Class?
    started out as rogue because I enjoyed the thoughts of being stealthy and stuff

Why Horde/Alliance?
    alliance because of gnomes, and because I thought the horde races looked scary (ikr?)

Funny how I went from that, being a gnome loving rogue, to an orc loving... non-stealthy class xD

10+ Year Old Account
    Why?
    I loved Warcraft series, and watching some of the trailers and reading about wow, it seemed pretty damned awesome. And I was right.

Which Race?
    Human. I felt like going Horde at first, but my brother went Alliance, so I followed him. I chose Human, as I didn't like the other choices at that time.

Which Class?
    Paladin, as they were quite awesome in Warcraft 3.

Started playing at launch, played the hell out of reign of chaos and the frozen throne, loved both games. I picked a troll priest, because they were my favorite mercenary creeps you could buy, thought it would be interesting, they could've made them look more like the creeps tho lol. I was an orc player, so naturally had to go horde!

I will say, when you play RoC and TFT, some of the race/class combos just look bizzare. Remember seeing tauren hunters... seeing a tauren with a gun just doesn't look right - or gnome warriors lol. Got worse with Wrath tho, seeing female tauren or dranei death knights just makes no sense, along with almost all the other comps they can be lol.

Why?
    Because SOE completely mutilated SWG not once, but twice. Everyone that was playing it came to WoW so not really finding the fun I was after in other games I broke down and tried WoW.

Which Race?
    Human because they looked better than Dwarves and I couldn't do NE because of race restrictions.

Which Class?
    Paladin. I always try a Paladin type class first in any game I play. Sadly the Vanilla Paladin wasn't exactly what I thought it would be when I rolled one.

Why Faction?
    Cause all of my old SWG friends were Alliance. Really wanted to play Horde, and still do to this day but after all this time all my friends are still mostly Alliance.

If I could do it all again I would of went Tauren Warrior, but thats how things go.

I started playing the game as a joke. My husband and I were getting ready to go out of the house and when he walked into the bedroom to get changed, I jumped on his computer and made a Tauren Druid. I ran around doing quests while he was dressing because I didn't want him to come out and get back on his computer to play the game. But it wound up being fun, and when he walked back to the computer and saw me on it, he got really excited and started talking about the game with me. He taught me a few things about how to play. I've been hooked ever since. I originally had a Tauren Druid and Tauren Hunter, but it wasn't long before I jumped to another server and tried playing with Alliance characters. I found I liked Alliance a lot more, so I've been with that faction ever since.
    “You have died of dysentery” – Oregon Trail

10+ Year Old Account
    Why?
    I'd never played an MMO-RPG before and WoW was the biggest at the time so I decided to play it. Also the Wrath cinematic and even the box art looked awesome.

Which Race?
    When I first started I went Tauren because they were the biggest and I liked Native American aesthetic they have.
    After about 3 months of playing I started to play Dwarves and still do to this day .

Which Class?
    Warrior because I liked the idea of playing a class that can beat you just by his own martial skill, they also had a larger emphasis on their armour to protect them than say Paladins.
    These days I play a Paladin because I learned their lore and liked it, loved the concept of the Holy Light and found that I could mix two things I loved (Warriors and the Holy Light) and play it.

Why Horde/Alliance?
    Horde initially because they were the "evil" guys and looked more savage and vicious.
    Later on I tried Alliance and my preferences changed to preferring the more valiant and good aesthetics that the Alliance had, I also began to prefer the "pretty" appearance of their races.