Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Which trinkets to use?

I have been debating back and forth about which trinkets to use. I got lucky and rolled 2 of the new trinkets from ToT last week so my choices are:

Old:
    Relic of Xuen
    Heroic Darkmist Vortex

New:
    Spark of Zandalar http://www.wowhead.com/item=94526
    Fabled Feather of Ji-Kun http://www.wowhead.com/item=94515

Been having difficulty deciding which ones to use together between those 4. Does anyone have any experience with the new procs or suggestions? Would be really appreciated.

PS: I'm 2h frost

From what I recall, Spark is BiS this tier so I would def use that. For the second slot, the Feather will require you to reforge/regem any extra hit or else it'll be wasted but otherwise is a good upgrade. I'd probably stick with the Darkmist (especially if it's upgraded) and the park for right now, but hold onto the Feather if you find yourself lacking a bunch of hit for some odd reason.

I was just thinking about making a thread on trinkets. 2H Frost here too with relic of xuen 1/2 and regular lei shen 0/2 (just main swapped to this toon 4 weeks ago and up to 501 ilvl so not bad).

Wondering what is worth upgrading to/ attempting to get. If I get a trinket I'll play with it, but sims are showing them worse than normal t14 trinkets and that just seems wrong.

Is the 502 LFR spark worth it if I could pull it down?

Lastly anyone have thoughts on the Shado-Pan Assault trinket? I'm way over hit but still reforging to exp (for now). Assuming 75 sec icd and 5-10 seconds to proc, I calc'ed it to around 1500-1650 passive str plus the 1500ish exp, which seems to make it pretty decent compared to either of my trinkets.

looking at logs for up-time Xuen sits around 1800 passive str for me and lei shen is around 1300 str plus the 1079 haste.

The uptime for Spark right now is pretty awful compared to 5.0 trinkets. I'm currently using Shadopan rep and Heroic Lei Shin's, but I think the Feather off Ji'kun will be BiS with Heroic Spark. The Shadopan Rep trinket is incredibly strong for fights around 6:30-7:00 mins in duration. Your 2nd Empower rune weapon should line up with Pillar and both trinkets.

tl:dr Spark is only good when it's heroic, Accuracy stat trinkets are good

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dossou View Post
    The uptime for Spark right now is pretty awful compared to 5.0 trinkets. I'm currently using Shadopan rep and Heroic Lei Shin's, but I think the Feather off Ji'kun will be BiS with Heroic Spark. The Shadopan Rep trinket is incredibly strong for fights around 6:30-7:00 mins in duration. Your 2nd Empower rune weapon should line up with Pillar and both trinkets.

NOT TRUE (about spark), got thunderforged spark by myself, as unholy DK it procs roughly every 1 miin 10 seconds which is pretty amazing. Sometimes even it procced right after previous procc was finished! It used to procc like shit before but then it was hotfixed (not scalling properly with haste) and definitely it's trinket to go in a first place.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/characte...evice/advanced

I have 2/2 Relic 2/2 Lei Shen, just go the Spark...is their a simcraft list on the strengths of each trinket? DMC was the strongest of the 5.2 trinkets right? I assume Replace Lei Shen first?

Got 517 Darkmist and 510 Lei Sen's.

Just switched out Lei Shen's for a 502 RF Spark.

Seems pretty decent - takes ~50-70 secs to build up 10 stacks. Seems to build up a lot faster when AoEing - I was aoeing sand adds in council and went from 3-9 stacks in about 15 secs. You can build up sparks before hand on punching bag/training dummys for fights where you're lusting at the start and want it to pop right away. 18-25% uptime.

Sometimes you'll get lucky and things line up perfectly. Was bursting at around 400K dps mid fight with Darkmist (+20% haste), blood fury, Ghoul, Pot, Pillar, Spark buffs up. Mmmm 380K Oblits and 270K Reapers.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rap87 View Post
    I have 2/2 Relic 2/2 Lei Shen, just go the Spark...is their a simcraft list on the strengths of each trinket? DMC was the strongest of the 5.2 trinkets right? I assume Replace Lei Shen first?
    Normal Lei Shen? Yes, RoX was the strongest of the 3 normal trinket options... Heroic is less clear cut.

I'd replace Lei Shen's as you won't change much in terms of haste value (am assuming you're 2h but you didn't say)

Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    Normal Lei Shen? Yes, RoX was the strongest of the 3 normal trinket options... Heroic is less clear cut.

I'd replace Lei Shen's as you won't change much in terms of haste value (am assuming you're 2h but you didn't say)
    DW, but thanks very much for the reply concerning my specific situation. I enjoy DW quite a bit, still trying to decide who's the winner this tier 2Hand Frost or DW. I like Unholy but don't like the way it matches up to the raid encounters. I'm thinking DW might be looking lower simcraft...way low, but seems to be a ton of cleave opportunities this tier so iono?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by rap87 View Post
    DW, but thanks very much for the reply concerning my specific situation. I enjoy DW quite a bit, still trying to decide who's the winner this tier 2Hand Frost or DW. I like Unholy but don't like the way it matches up to the raid encounters. I'm thinking DW might be looking lower simcraft...way low, but seems to be a ton of cleave opportunities this tier so iono?
    I don't think the whole "DW low on sims" issue, if it DOES actually exist in the real game will come into play until the 520+ ilvls. At the moment all DK specs sim pretty high at 500ish ilvl. I like DW too but got to a point where, I was literally concentrating so hard on optimising my rotation with PL and BT that I wasn't actually enjoying the game/encounter :-D

Anyway, yeah, replace lei shin's trinket and reforge the haste on spark to mastery - sorted.

My character is Alfaqup on Sargeras. 2hand frost at about 10911 haste the last time I checked.

Recently picked up Thunderforged Spark and rep trinket replacing Norm non upgraded Will trinket and 2xupgraded Xuen. And I have to say the new ones are better. On boss kills my logs were showing a 23-25% uptime of the Spark proc, which calculates to an average of 2024-2200 static strength for thunderforged or 1783-1938 for normal in addition to the haste that it provides. I would take a guess and say that LFR might lag behind Xuen, but it might be a wash. Uptime definitely dependent on type of boss, had 25% uptime on Jinrokh which is as close to patchwerk as we are going to get, and then 23ish on all other kills I had last night (got through Tortos)

The one bad thing about spark is ramp up time, although if u can get lucky on getting a quick boss pull after some trash it could be pretty nice, although this wouldn't be ideal and I certainly did not get any of that luck last night.

I've got the rep trinket and 2/2 Upgraded normal Lei Shin's and Xuen, weirdly enough Simcraft puts Brutal Talisman + Lei Shin's as more DPS by about 150 over Xuen/Brutal.

Still messing around, since Haste is somewhat devalued by AMS soaking and movement. Probably going to end up going with the Rep Trinket + Xuen for most of the movement-intense fights til I can get a Spark of Zandalar or something.
    Zombie Vampire Werewolf

Quote Originally Posted by russelmiller View Post
    My character is Alfaqup on Sargeras. 2hand frost at about 10911 haste the last time I checked.

Recently picked up Thunderforged Spark and rep trinket replacing Norm non upgraded Will trinket and 2xupgraded Xuen. And I have to say the new ones are better. On boss kills my logs were showing a 23-25% uptime of the Spark proc, which calculates to an average of 2024-2200 static strength for thunderforged or 1783-1938 for normal in addition to the haste that it provides. I would take a guess and say that LFR might lag behind Xuen, but it might be a wash. Uptime definitely dependent on type of boss, had 25% uptime on Jinrokh which is as close to patchwerk as we are going to get, and then 23ish on all other kills I had last night (got through Tortos)

The one bad thing about spark is ramp up time, although if u can get lucky on getting a quick boss pull after some trash it could be pretty nice, although this wouldn't be ideal and I certainly did not get any of that luck last night.
    The biggest downside is that ramp time. The Relic procs at the start with your other procs, like Pillar and FC.

Relic is 1800-1900 str for 0/2, with the proc avg + static, 2/2 of course even better.

I think it'll be a bit before people fully get the math on these trinkets, especially with the changes they just made this week regards to the proc rates.

Quote Originally Posted by Dossou View Post

after the hotfix i have a thunderforged feather and it was proc'ing 20-29% or about 25% overall average, way way better than my 10-15% last week.
    OP, i'd put both of your 5.2 trinkets on, they're a huge upgrade from what you have
    Last edited by damescool; 2013-03-14 at 07:19 AM.

im actually wondering if the brutal talisman from rep is better than the relic of xuen 2/2 upgraded. Iirc people have been saying simC isnt working as intended with dks.
    Last edited by valliant13; 2013-03-14 at 09:16 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by valliant13 View Post
    im actually wondering if the brutal talisman from rep is better than the relic of xuen 2/2 upgraded. Iirc people have been saying simC isnt working as intended with dks.
    Checked a few armories and seems like a few people use Lei Shen + Rep trinket so far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vmagik View Post
    I don't think the whole "DW low on sims" issue, if it DOES actually exist in the real game will come into play until the 520+ ilvls. At the moment all DK specs sim pretty high at 500ish ilvl. I like DW too but got to a point where, I was literally concentrating so hard on optimising my rotation with PL and BT that I wasn't actually enjoying the game/encounter :-D

Anyway, yeah, replace lei shin's trinket and reforge the haste on spark to mastery - sorted.
    i am no number cruncher myself so i just look at results and go from there. I don't know if i agree with you on dw simming low (if it does) at 520+

im only 504 dw (got a 522 last night, using kilrak 504 with the legendary gems in offhand), 503 2h with a 510 starshatter. after getting the 522 i thought, hey, lets go back to dw (as i was in 5.1), should be close to 2h with the weapon upgrade and whatnot. granted what im gonna say is only some target dummy practice, as i'll dw in tonight's raid, but dps as 522/504 dw did seem (on single target) a buttload lower than 2h. some of it must be me getting used to dw rotation again, but the discrepancy wasnt that little (like, 105k dps 2h vs 99k or so dw). i realize some 20 minutes on target dummies is nothing, but meh

will have to see what's what if another 522 drops, but then again, say dw evens out with 2h for me at that point, what happens when a 522 2h drops?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tuscar View Post
    i am no number cruncher myself so i just look at results and go from there. I don't know if i agree with you on dw simming low (if it does) at 520+

im only 504 dw (got a 522 last night, using kilrak 504 with the legendary gems in offhand), 503 2h with a 510 starshatter. after getting the 522 i thought, hey, lets go back to dw (as i was in 5.1), should be close to 2h with the weapon upgrade and whatnot. granted what im gonna say is only some target dummy practice, as i'll dw in tonight's raid, but dps as 522/504 dw did seem (on single target) a buttload lower than 2h. some of it must be me getting used to dw rotation again, but the discrepancy wasnt that little (like, 105k dps 2h vs 99k or so dw). i realize some 20 minutes on target dummies is nothing, but meh

will have to see what's what if another 522 drops, but then again, say dw evens out with 2h for me at that point, what happens when a 522 2h drops?
    DW benefits way more from raid buffs IIRC, especially the mastery one. As 2H your weapon damage is worth a hell of a lot more than even your main and offhand damage combined as DW. With target dummy testing you'll just not see the potential that DW has during a real encounter.

Sims at 509ilvl show 2H and DW sitting somewhere in the upper-middle of the pack (and don't include AMS absorbs) with 2H doing more DPS than DW... Whereas T15 BiS sims show DW to be the lowest of all DPS specs in the game, a whole 10K DPS behind 2H (which still sits pretty low overall) and 50K DPS behind Arcane o.O. Either the sims are bugged (possible) or there's something else at play regarding how we're scaling with gear. I refuse to believe AMS absorbs can add 20K DPS (gonna be 5K at most IMO).

So, if the sims are correct you have the choice of going 2H for single target or DW for the passive AOE. Considering how many cleave-friendly fights there seem to be this tier it's still going to be pretty close overall. If you're comfortable playing both specs and using BT as DW to optimise your unholy rune returns then I'd personally still just go with the best weapon you have at the time.
    Last edited by mmoc0cdb03e806; 2013-03-14 at 11:23 AM.

It is so problematic that we (or at least I) cannot trust sims...

I am still not super convinced to switch to 2H (actually I don't have a 522 2h anyway) but being less reliant on WDPS now, forces me to keep 504+legendary off hand more than I want it to (till heroic 1H drops) and that means I will not get better in the near future comparing to a 2H with 522 weapon. I will only get better on my main hand weapon.

It is rather unsettling that we don't know yet whether there is a problem with sims or we have some serious design problems as a class.

There are a lot of high ranking logs for DKs that are running 2H, so it's definitely a viable choice. You can also find DW players within the top 25's as well.

As far as trinkets, they did just get buffed, and now the math needs to be re-run at this point. The SimCraft models for them were fixed in some recent code pushes, but the new build hasn't been compiled yet (well, you can do it yourself, but y'know).