Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Isle of Giants soloing

My experience thus far in soloing in Isle of Giants is that I can handle any of the following situations every time:

one smaller (level 90) devilsaur
    up to two smaller (level 90) direhorns
    one larger (level 91) direhorn (as long as I start out with nothing on cooldown)
    one smaller of either of those plus one Zandalari
    up to three Zandalari

I can get frustratingly close soloing a pterrorwing. I don't even attempt the larger (level 91) devilsaurs.

So I'd like to know how others are doing on this. Most importantly, are any of you soloing the pterrorwings? If so, how is your pet surviving that huge attack of theirs?

10+ Year Old Account
    I am farming the bones in group with 3 other Guild Friends, and trust me, it worth

The time you take to kill 1 mob, we kill 3 =D
    Last edited by Ogait; 2013-03-13 at 12:57 AM. Reason: Grammar
    | Realm First Monk | Dragonflight Beta Tester ( ty Blizzard! ) |

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ogait View Post
    I am farming the bones in group with 3 other Guild Friends, and trust me, it worth

So the average amount of bones is lower for you guys lol!

Deleted
    I've been farming both solo, with a group of 4-5, and also a raid of 8. The amount of bones per hour is pretty much exactly the same but I find soloing a little faster. Don't pet tank by the way, you can kite mobs with concussive shot. If you really must pet tank the mobs, use 2 pieces of tier 5 so your pet get's healed for 15% of your damage.

And also split the loot in 3.

The only bonus gain I can see you getting is, more rares/uncommon loot and more skins provided one is a skinner. Other than that you are still getting the same amount of bones due to it being personal loot.

Now if the bones were shared with everyone then I'd definitely agree, but for farming your ratio is the same.

Well, even aside from all of that, I'm enjoying soloing. Isle of Giants is kind of tranquil and it's kind of fun to hunt these guys - the fact that there's a pretty nice goal at the end of it is just icing on the cake.

---------- Post added 2013-03-12 at 08:43 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    I've been farming both solo, with a group of 4-5, and also a raid of 8. The amount of bones per hour is pretty much exactly the same but I find soloing a little faster. Don't pet tank by the way, you can kite mobs with concussive shot. If you really must pet tank the mobs, use 2 pieces of tier 5 so your pet get's healed for 15% of your damage.
    I missed this the first time. That's an excellent idea. The kiting does sound more promising than trying to keep my pet alive, but I'm going to have to plan the route carefully. Do you have any suggestions where this is a better idea?

Maybe on the west side of the island, where one of those two at the bottom could be kited up that slope to where the Alliance NPCs are? That's the longest path I can think of where I might be able to avoid walking into another group of dinosaurs. I think I'll try that.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Garithas View Post
    Maybe on the west side of the island, where one of those two at the bottom could be kited up that slope to where the Alliance NPCs are? That's the longest path I can think of where I might be able to avoid walking into another group of dinosaurs. I think I'll try that.
    Bear in mind that the big devilsaurs are the only mobs you can't slow.

The part I always use is the south beach in the middle, it has 3 small and 2 big direhorns. The first one can be a little tricky as you need to be careful not to pull other mobs but after that it's not too difficult anymore. I save my cooldowns in case I pull a 2nd mob on accident, at that point I use a potion and pop all cooldowns to finish one off as quickly as possible. Take Murder of Crows as well, use it on the big direhorns with 8-ish million HP. Unless I chain pull 2 in a row, I normally have it up once per direhorn.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    The big devilsaurs are kiteable in aspect of the cheetah. Just make sure you're out of range of their roar so you dont get dazed.

Even though your loot is reduced when in a group, it is still much faster that way because it is more efficient, not to mention group buffs etc. And you are less likely to waste time dying to a crappy pull or bad timing or whatever, and you will probably take less damage and therefore have less downtime. Soloing these mobs is definitely not a good idea from an efficiency standpoint.

But if you just enjoy soloing then go right ahead.

P.S. Goddamn Hunters... try soloing those things as a Rogue! Such a pain...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    All of the dinos seem to have pretty close HP-to-bone ratio. Because of that I just farm small direhorns, since they're easy - don't see much sense in going for big ones. My realm's low pop, so no problem with farming them.
    The only good thing about having a group would be if you gather and AoE a lot of them, otherwise you're losing speed.
    Old Gods made me do it.

I'm not sure the 2pc T5 bonus is worth that massive of a stat drop and 4pc loss... I can handle a decent amount of things on the isle just fine without the healing bonus.

15+ Year Old Account
    My experience thus far in soloing in Isle of Giants is that I can handle any of the following situations every time:

one smaller (level 90) devilsaur
    up to two smaller (level 90) direhorns
    one larger (level 91) direhorn (as long as I start out with nothing on cooldown)
    one smaller of either of those plus one Zandalari
    up to three Zandalari

I can get frustratingly close soloing a pterrorwing. I don't even attempt the larger (level 91) devilsaurs.

So I'd like to know how others are doing on this. Most importantly, are any of you soloing the pterrorwings? If so, how is your pet surviving that huge attack of theirs?
    How can you not kill a Pterrorwing? They are as easy as the Devilsaurs just with 2 million more health. My tactic is to kite everything except dinomancers which I can pet tank. Most of the time I just kite everything because I lose nothing on it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Where everything is bitter. Especially me.
    I have little to no trouble kiting a single Primal Devilsaur without Cheetah. Just use Disengage on CD, turn Growl off, and unload on the move.
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    *bro fist*
    Main - My Youtube Channel - Useful PvP Items - Hunter Pet Spreadsheet - Music and Stuff

Deleted
    I think everyone should at least attempt to solo. I'll always maintain that soloing things teaches you more about your class and it's toolkit than anything else.

I've managed to solo everything except the larger Devilsaurs (I haven't attempted them yet I assumed they couldn't be slowed). I've done it on my Mage, Druid, Warlock, Hunter and Shaman now (farming Primal Eggs) and not had much trouble, even managed to kite 2 at the same time on my Mage.

I pet-tank any mobs up to 4.7mill HP, im to lazy to run arround - watching a movie most of the time Might do some kiting on Direhorns (8mill) when I need the Egg.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    One trick for pet tanking Direhorns - if you stay just far enough to make them start charging then move close and back away, you can basically make them not do any damage to your pet at all, they'll just repeatedly try to charge, but fail when you move close.
    Old Gods made me do it.

Epic!
    15+ Year Old Account
    I pet tank everything except the Pterrordons with a tenacity-spec Spirit Beast. This includes the level-91 Primal Direhorns. When I first started fighting them, it was hit-or-miss whether my pet would survive, but now it really doesn't seem that difficult. Xiong the Spirit Bear just shrugs off those big bleeds and keeps going.

Pterrordons, though... Kite fight, all the way. Either as Survival or as BM with Xiong's growl turned off. Why the tenacity pet if he's not tanking? When he inevitably pulls aggro after a couple Kill Command crits, he'll survive at least 2-3 hits. Ferocity pets have had a much worse track record.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    And you are less likely to waste time dying to a crappy pull or bad timing or whatever, and you will probably take less damage and therefore have less downtime.
    There is no damage, the little bit of damage you take from charging direhorns is healed up with Spirit Bond. I've also only died once and that was because some gun ran though my mob with 2 big direhorns which I then pulled with a Glaive Toss that was already flying through the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    P.S. Goddamn Hunters... try soloing those things as a Rogue! Such a pain...
    You can use the exact same strategy as us, but you don't even have to waste any global cooldowns to keep up concussive shot. Get Shuriken Toss and apply crippling poison. Have fun being more efficient compared to a Hunter.

I missed this the first time. That's an excellent idea. The kiting does sound more promising than trying to keep my pet alive, but I'm going to have to plan the route carefully. Do you have any suggestions where this is a better idea?
    A nice spot I found is on the eastern side of the island, just beyond the first Devilsaur camp. You'll be boxed in between two Devilsaur camps (southeast and northeast and a Triceratops camp on the west, with 4-5 small ones and two Dinomancer camps. I was able to kill pretty much non-stop there, with plenty of room to kite.

10+ Year Old Account
    As I haven't started the isle yet, I'm curious how a recently dinged blood DK will do :<
    Edit: Oh damn, I'm sorry. I didn't notice this was hunter thread