Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Soloing direhorns at beginning of flight path area is best to go. Concussive Shot is your best friend. I am almost there at 9999, just 3k more.. come on..

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovan View Post
    You can use the exact same strategy as us, but you don't even have to waste any global cooldowns to keep up concussive shot. Get Shuriken Toss and apply crippling poison. Have fun being more efficient compared to a Hunter.
    Unfortunately for rogues, with the Shuriken Toss buff (ranged auto-attacks following use of ST itself), non-lethal poison procs were unlinked from the talent. Neither Shuriken Toss nor the subsequent ranged auto-attacks can apply Crippling Poison. If they want to kite, rogues have to play a hit-and-run game to apply the snare (outside of Deadly Throw duration) and hope that Recuperate can patch up the damage.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaeth View Post
    Unfortunately for rogues, with the Shuriken Toss buff (ranged auto-attacks following use of ST itself), non-lethal poison procs were unlinked from the talent. Neither Shuriken Toss nor the subsequent ranged auto-attacks can apply Crippling Poison. If they want to kite, rogues have to play a hit-and-run game to apply the snare (outside of Deadly Throw duration) and hope that Recuperate can patch up the damage.
    That was the point, walk up to the mob when they start to charge, hit it to apply the debuff, continue kiting with Shuriken Toss. Once they start to charge you can walk up to them and they will flinch for a second orso and they won't charge or attack. So you can easily apply the debuff without taking any damage at all.

Found a nice spot in the eastern part of the island. The mobs I farmed we're the red direhorns. About 3 patroll the small area, and 2 lounge in the pool nearby along with 2bigger ones (didn't touch the big).

I would pet tank them till 30-20% and md the next one to my pet (depending on the crowdedness and my mood).
    If I run out of the direhorns to kill there are 2 pacs of trolls up to the north from the farming spot and near the pool. For those I md the whole pack to my pet but single target kill them due to the heal they do. If I still have some time till next npc respawn I would kite around a devilsaur (no pet tank, as he eats my turtle quickly, and I need her at full health so that I can pull direhorn as soon as it spawns)

With no to little competition the farming is quite enjoyable. I also got one of the compation pets off the trolls but still no egg.

As for the bones.. I didn't quite keep track. Approximate rate for me - 1 k for a few hours, but will post more accurate data if needed.

Wish you all good luck with farming the the Isle!

Deleted
    Using Loque with Growl on but still ferocity specced tanking these smaller beasts. Not the big Dino though. Glyph of Mending is mandatory.

Soloing is way more efficient then grouping if you are geared.

I prefer soloing the T-rex hatchlings as they give about 6 more bones on average then the direhorns and the health differance isnt really much more.

Deleted
    I'm pet tanking everything except for the Big raptors with a wolf, so im not sure how you cant do the exact same.

Thanks for all the replies.

For those wondering why someone would solo, as someone else pointed out, the point is soloing itself. I'll group with friends or guildies when they want - they all know I'm down for it if I'm not doing something else - but Isle of Giants is, for me, a great place to test my skills as a solo hunter. This sort of thing can and has saved groups from wipes and near-wipes.

As far as what I've been doing, I've been pet tanking with a turtle and have mending glyphed for the extra heals. The problem with the pterrorwings is that I've not been able to keep him alive. The obvious answer of kiting is actually probably my weakest point - not that I completely suck at it, but I'm not good enough. So the pterrorwings are a good excuse to practice that - and I saw someone else say they take down the primal devilsaurs the same way, so I'll try that when I find a clear enough path.

One thing that's occurred to me to try as well is the turtle in ferocity spec. If its special ability plus glyphed mending can keep it alive long enough for me to burn down at least half of the pterrorwing's hp, then I could use heart of the phoenix to bring it back and finish the thing off. At the very least, it might cut down on the distance I'd have to kite. (Laziness, I know; if I do it, it'll only be to see if I can before going the normal kiting method.)

I turn off growl and MD to my pet when killing the small dinosaurs (triceratops and t-rexes, I avoid pterrorwings). That way it's tanking for 10-15 seconds while I can just unload damage without having to spend globals on concussive shot. I only kill the small dinosaurs because they're very easy ,the big ones are too much of a hassle in my opinion. You can screw up several times with the smaller ones and walk away fine, do the same with a big one and you're dead.

Dinomancers barely do any damage so I just let my pet tank them (growl on) and interrupt their heal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Edinburgh, Scotland. You know, that place with the castle.
    Tbh, I pet tank both the small Direhorns and the Dinomancers - I just keep mend pet up and use Exhiliration if I slack on the healing and their health gets too low. Never had any problems with keeping my pet alive for these mobs. Mend Pet glyph and Animal Bond make the pet healing relatively strong.

For the small Devilsaurs, then yes, I kite too as my pet dies when I try tanking with it - regardless of the healing. But I keep the pet up to dps too - I just put it on Ferocity with Growl off and then just start attacking with it once I have decent threat. As a BM hunter this is pretty decent too - I can use Intimidation to aid in the kiting process too, plus the extra dps is always nice.

Not to mention the fact that if the mob does get too close then I can always misdirect onto my pet and let it take a little bit of damage for a few seconds while I gain some distance, then Distracting Shot onto me and then proceed to kite as normal.

As for my actual soloing habits on the Isle, my preferred area is the area just up from the beach where the red Direhorns are - I kill all the small ones in the area (except the one in the pool, most of the time it's a pain to pull without pulling one of the big ones too), then Goblin Glider off the cliff onto the beach, kill the 3 small green ones there, then make my way back up to where I started. By this time some of the red ones have respawned, and by the time I've killed these ones, the rest have too. And I just rinse and repeat until I've fulfilled my low 200-400 or so bones a day quota.

I usually farm in the 10pm-2am time bracket on my pretty dead server, so I'm able to keep following this farming 'route' without much, if any, competition.

Edit: Incidentally, has anyone here got a Primal Egg yet, and if so, how long did it take you to get one? I've killed enough of the small Direhorns to get exactly 2000 bones so far and still haven't got one yet. Given that from personal experience they seem to drop an average of 8 bones (7-9 bones, but 8 has been the most common for me by far), that's around 250 mobs and no drop yet.
    Last edited by stuartj1992; 2013-03-15 at 01:50 AM.

Deleted
    I pet tank everything up to the Young Primal Devilsaur without much issue. I use a bear for the 10% dmg reduction, it matches perfect for the small Devilsaurs where my pet can then take it to the face if I keep mend up on it.

I will have to try some of that kiting you guys are talking about sounds fun.

I farmed about 2400 bones till i got my first egg, and it hatched into a Red Raptor (i wanted a green =/), now back to farm. I found easier and faster to me keep moving between the Direhorn areas... Once i kill the 4-6 small dinos inside an area, i go to the next one.

I farm as MM, and i pull 3 of them to my tank turtle and just DPS standing still. Glyphed mend + turtle's CDs is usually enough to keep it alive, but if sometimes HP drop too much, i just binding shot on dinos + Master's call to force a stun.

" So much lost time... that you'll never get back!"....

There is no damage, the little bit of damage you take from charging direhorns is healed up with Spirit Bond. I've also only died once and that was because some gun ran though my mob with 2 big direhorns which I then pulled with a Glaive Toss that was already flying through the air.
    Then I repeat, goddamn Hunters! :P

You can use the exact same strategy as us, but you don't even have to waste any global cooldowns to keep up concussive shot. Get Shuriken Toss and apply crippling poison. Have fun being more efficient compared to a Hunter.
    I suppose I could, that would be horrifically slow though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I can't seem to handle the giant devilsaur on the boat... his armor shred is way too brutal for me to solo.

I got my first egg a little over two days ago. I had, I dunno, ~1150 bones by that point? Funny thing is, I didn't even notice looting it, so I'm not even sure at what point during that period when I got it. I didn't even know about the eggs until I found it in my bags.

By the way, I generally don't have any trouble with pet tanking the small devilsaurs... they can get a little close to killing my pet every once in a while and if my turtle's shell is on cooldown, I'll do readiness (that I otherwise wouldn't waste on a small devilsaur), then bestial wrath, since I have endless wrath glyphed. This will allow the turtle to survive until his shell cools down and my mend can heal him all the way up. That's very rare. I've also had some pretty decent luck with a macro that does deterrence/stoneform (yay! A use for that!)/revive pet. I've yet to be killed or even gotten to red before my pet is back up on direhorns and small devilsaurs. I have been killed right after if I derp and don't dump aggro back to the pet quickly. Only once. I think. Maybe.

Anyway, I've been working on kiting those pterrorwings. It's been working when I get the rhythm down right. I do need to improve, though, and this is an excellent opportunity to do so. Thanks for the tip, those who mentioned it.

And WHY is that giant devilsaur on that boat? I've seen it and was like, what the hell?

The giant devilsaurs you need to kite with cheetah and some open space (don't get dazed by the roar).

I solo farm the devilsaur hatchlings in the center of the island. I kite them as MM for concussive barrage and it seems to be the most efficient mobs I have found.
    I'm averaging around 900 bones an hour, I think.

I facetank all of them as blood. Pretty fun.

I must say, if you're decently geared, and have some decently geared friends. Try to 3-man Primal Devilsaurs. If you're efficient enough it's a net boost in bones/hour seeing they drop 35-50 each. And the way we're plowing through them is ridiculous.

I found the most ubsurd 5 man comp to wipe through the isle. 3 Surv hunters, a MW Monk, and a Blood DK. We pulled from the Horde flight path, to the second set of devilsaurs, and then AoE'd everything down. It was just awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Winstonwolfe View Post
    In other words, he's worried about how sharp your bayonet is when you are firing RPG's.

The best way to solo is to kite primal trexes into raids grouping up for oondasta.

Ive gotten 3k bones that way