Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Is there really any point in the DH class anymore?

Ever since Blizzard deemed DHs were too OP after launch cause they were doing stuff like farming Act 4 and ponies while still in blues the class has received nothing but nerf after nerf. Even before the build diversity patch DHs were coming out with cool builds that were different from the norm like gas grenades and trap tank specs that worked similar to WW/CM wiz and they stayed alive by stacking LoH. Then Blizz nerfed all DH proc coefficients making those tank specs worthless. I have the achivment for getting every class to 60 twice but my DH just has never made it past 40 because when I compare them to other classes I just dont see a single thing they are better at. I really want to play one but I feel I will have to spend far more gold gearing one out just to be abel to do what other classes can do with a lot less.

Monks are now hands down the fastest low MP speed farmers using TR and da Bell to 1 shot elites. Doesnt take much gold to get started either. Also TR can be used very efficiently when combined with Bell even on higher MPs like 5/6 just because the Bell is silly damage. Id like to see a Strafe DH do MP 5 or 6, which I assumed was their speed farming build. Oh forgot to mention that 30% built damage reduction, an AoE blind, and a 4 second invuln bubble.

Wiz are a far better ranged class and dont even need that much gear. I only spent 150 mil on my CM/WW wiz and I leveled straight through Inferno on MP7 and it was a joke. 2.54 APS, 50% crit chance, 600-700 resists, and 1400 LoH meant I couldnt die. Sure I died a few times if I get silly affixes like Arcane, Vortex, Molten and couldnt get away cause teleport was on CD. But that was the only rason I did, because teleport was on CD. I d like to see a DH spend only 150 mil and faceroll MP7 from AcI through Diablo while only dying a handful of times. Also Archon is probably as expensive to gear out as a very good DH but has a ton more survivablity because of the boost to all resists and armor via one of your armor buffs as well as Archon itself.

Even WDs can speed farm faster than DHs. WDs can stack 3 movement increase abilities in Jaunt, Chicken, and Stalker. They also have a massive damage ability in Bears that makes great use of LS and Acid Cloud makes great use of LoH. Also their 4 piece set bonus combined with 20+ pick up radius and Gruesome feast means unlimited mana and makes Legacy Nats look like a pile of brimestones.

Barbs...Dont even really have to go there. WW and HoTA blow away every single DH build and again cheaper to gear out but can still do high MPs. Also like monks 30% damage reduction. Oh yea that and their IK set has all kinds of further damage reduction. Oh and if they want they can ignore LS on weapons since they get 6% from IK belt and a passive so they can ignore overpriced LS weapons and get ones with much high damage. Or they can just stack up to 12% LS if super rich and never die.

So what exactly do Demon Hunters have that other classes dont? Who can they outperform without having to spend a billion gold on gear? Like I said in my opening paragraph I have really enjoyed leveling my DH but I just see no point in getting on to 60 and spending a lot of gold gearing her out when every other class is better.

I think one just haft to enjoy the class you play. I do agree however, they don't feel quit as strong as other.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

I recently started playing again, I only have a lvl 60 DH. But you are right, when I left we ruled - now we are like a joke. Mine is 40k life and 200k dps and I "farm" mp 5/6 for keys and elites. I don't die much - but if I recorded how i have to farm I think most of you would crack up laughing... sometimes have to run in a circle around something for a good 5 minutes to whittle it down. It would be nice if we got something.. but who really cares, my second time playing D3 was short lived and Blizz made that decision easier - by butt fucking the DH class.

Solo I've never been a huge fan of the mechanics of it, but I think it remains a fun class in group play.

Just made a new tempest rush monk. Only have 140k DPS with my buff and can easily do MP5-6 and only have 380 resists as well. Bell hits for so much damage is basically a complete heal with my 1380 DPS skorn with 5.4% LS. Oh and theres always that nice 4 second bubble for reflect mobs. 4 seconds on MP 5 is more than enough time to Bell elites to death. If you are gonna play a dex class or ranged theres just no reason to play a DH unless you just love the class and love punishment. Or have 2 billion gold to do the same stuff a CM/WW Wiz can do with only 250 mil gold.
    Last edited by Dabrix32; 2013-03-13 at 06:17 PM.

Deleted
    What? I think DHs are awesome when geared defensively. I don't think any other class has that kind of burst damage and can survive as well.

Of course I might be wrong but I've tried wizard and barbarian and nothing seems to be able to kill faster than spike traps or before that, trail of cinders.. too bad they nerfed it though. Bola shot, multishot, spike traps and gloom with 700+ all res make DHs really fun to play. Everything just melts away and nothing can really touch me with spammable gloom. Maybe DH's just need good gear to be good but I've tried other classes and they just seem to be slower, too fragile or have to kite or require too much focus to be effective.

When playing DH, its just spam multishot, when elites pop up or when fighting bosses, drop spike traps under them, activate gloom and spam bola, then more traps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizbeth View Post
    I don't think any other class has that kind of burst damage and can survive as well.

Of course I might be wrong but I've tried wizard and barbarian and nothing seems to be able to kill faster
    Barbarians with good gear can survive really easily. And they don't even have to play defensively, WW is a very offensive build but it has the best defenses.

I think Demon Hunters are okay, but they are slow. I'd love to play a Strafe DH though, if it were actually a viable build. I want speed, not just run, shoot, run, shoot, run, shoot.

Batman build is pretty fun.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...gVQ!XeU!ZbaYca

Only spec i could come up that is fun. Its the same fight over and over, nuke or run.

Dh's are the worst char for usual play, they are very strong vs single target, but how often do we see that in d3?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Batman build is pretty fun.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...gVQ!XeU!ZbaYca

Only spec i could come up that is fun. Its the same fight over and over, nuke or run.

Dh's are the worst char for usual play, they are very strong vs single target, but how often do we see that in d3?
    My specc http://us.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...ghQ!Yef!cacYZa

It also has a very strong AoE with multishot. High all resist and perfectionist guarantee that gloom is only needed when fighting elites (which go down fast so I dont need prep and when fighting ubers but I only do uber runs with others, it's a waste to solo them anyway. Besides I've also tried to solo them up to mp7 and it wasnt that hard. With better gear, mp10 might be doable as well.

Mutlishot seems to be lacking on higher mp lvls and ive found with a calamity you dont need the bat. Are you using a manticore?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by chadwix View Post
    Mutlishot seems to be lacking on higher mp lvls and ive found with a calamity you dont need the bat. Are you using a manticore?
    Yea, found a 1260 damage, dual socket one with 80% crit damage. Was tempted to sell it for $ but kept it. You're right about multishot lacking in higher MP though. I usually run mp2-3. 4 is also ok but after that it really starts to slow me down. I think it's possible to go higher too comfortably. I ignore IAS completely and dont have any of it on gear other than quiver of course. But I prefer having strong defenses and being able to semi-afk through the run.

I'm a monk most of the time. I am around 179k dps unbuffed, 210-220k buffed; paper-dps. I tend to do MP8 public games when I play them and there's something about DH I just don't get.

I go into a public game and there's 1 or 2 DHs. I check their profile and their paper DPS has CRAZY high numbers. Last night, one that was 367k, another was 450k. But if I stand off and watch them kill, they kill SLOWLY. VERY SLOWLY, like I can barely see the health bars on mobs move. If I move in the mobs is dead in seconds.

What gives? I realize, as a monk, my modifiers certainly make my effective DPS much higher than my paper DPS but still... that much? Do DHs not have similar modifiers?

I initially chalked it up to maybe I was just playing with lazy/bad DHs, but it seems fairly common, game after game.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aelfin View Post
    I'm a monk most of the time. I am around 179k dps unbuffed, 210-220k buffed; paper-dps. I tend to do MP8 public games when I play them and there's something about DH I just don't get.

I go into a public game and there's 1 or 2 DHs. I check their profile and their paper DPS has CRAZY high numbers. Last night, one that was 367k, another was 450k. But if I stand off and watch them kill, they kill SLOWLY. VERY SLOWLY, like I can barely see the health bars on mobs move. If I move in the mobs is dead in seconds.

What gives? I realize, as a monk, my modifiers certainly make my effective DPS much higher than my paper DPS but still... that much? Do DHs not have similar modifiers?

I initially chalked it up to maybe I was just playing with lazy/bad DHs, but it seems fairly common, game after game.
    ''Sharp Shooter'' I don't need to say anything else.

Quote Originally Posted by I-NO View Post
    ''Sharp Shooter'' I don't need to say anything else.
    Sorry, I know nothing really about DH. So Sharp Shooter means nothing to me

10+ Year Old Account
    It's a passive that gives them 3% crit chance every second until they crit. So they sit there for a minute, let it build up to 100%, and then log out. So 100% crit chance artificially inflates their damage number, but of course it goes down the next attack. Some people still claim that their dps is "450k" or whatever it says, even though it's not.

Does anyone have a good noob 60 spec for demon hunters? I just hit 60 and I got some good gear. I breezed through Act 1, but only because of my gear. I like Multishot, but the only spec I saw with it required some pretty insane gear.

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's a newbs way to think they are good at the game and pretty much what pend said. I can do 822K Sharpshooter on my DH I'M GUD RIGHT????

KEKEKE

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pendulous View Post
    It's a passive that gives them 3% crit chance every second until they crit. So they sit there for a minute, let it build up to 100%, and then log out. So 100% crit chance artificially inflates their damage number, but of course it goes down the next attack. Some people still claim that their dps is "450k" or whatever it says, even though it's not.

Does anyone have a good noob 60 spec for demon hunters? I just hit 60 and I got some good gear. I breezed through Act 1, but only because of my gear. I like Multishot, but the only spec I saw with it required some pretty insane gear.
    I think the hungering arrow/elemental arrow build would be pretty good to start off heres the one i use on my DH

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dgV!ZXb!caZbYc

I usually change smoke screen for bat or ferret companion and with gloom you should be good with taking hits and healing back up pretty fast.Obviously crit is needed for disc regen but i guess you could switch out talents to your liking but with this build i can face tank most elite packs at MP4 with 234 AR

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melfion View Post
    I think the hungering arrow/elemental arrow build would be pretty good to start off heres the one i use on my DH

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/calculato...dgV!ZXb!caZbYc

I usually change smoke screen for bat or ferret companion and with gloom you should be good with taking hits and healing back up pretty fast.Obviously crit is needed for disc regen but i guess you could switch out talents to your liking but with this build i can face tank most elite packs at MP4 with 234 AR
    That's close to what I had http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/K.../hero/16413858 (empty ring slot is Hellfire Ring)

Need to use Night Stalker though, with 52% crit, should be easy to keep it up.

You guys need a better hate dump than ball of light. Is the ball that much of a dps increase than your generator? Dh's need to remember when they are using a move that costs 10hate they are losing alot of generating attks with animations. Thats why people use echoing blast or cluster, higher hate cost = more hungerings (in ur cases, bola in mine) and higher overall dps.

Thats what makes my build nice, you get damage from 4 sources. The reason why dh's are so weak, they do a billion dps but hit like once, while other classes are aoeing the same dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    in your kitchen, stealing your peanut buttas
    I still enjoy playing my DH alot, but they definitely have fallen far from what they used to be and imo seem to have been in more flux than the other classes in terms of the their play style change ups.

FFXIV: ARR - Chaotic Clown