Deleted

Prot warrior 5.2

Hello!
    I'm a little bit rusty on what a prot tank is supposed to focus when reforging and stuff like that.
    Currently i'm maxing out mastery, followed by parry and dodge.
    Obviously i make sure i got exp and hit cap first.
    Then i reforge dodge to Mastery, if i cant i reforge to parry.
    Then reforge parry to mastery, if i cant i leave it alone.
    I never reforge mastery from anything.

Currently got 52.17% mastery
    Currently got 18.39 parry
    Currently got 8.39 dodge

Also, both my trinkets have an Equip bonus saying
    Trinket nr 1: "Equip: Your attacks have a chance to grant you 3649 dodge for 15 sec." (Iron protector Talisman, upgraded once).
    Trinket nr 2: "Your attacks have a chance to grant you 3236 dodge for 20 sec. (Vial of Dragon's blood, not upgraded).

All of those stats are unbuffed.
    Is it good as it is or should i reforge away some mastery for parry?

Thanks for any answers!

Deleted
    If it's only a decision between mastery and avoidance go for mastery to smooth out the damage income. At the end of this tier we might be able to reach crit-block cap but we'll have to see.

Your % mastery seems rather high at the moment with the large amount of nonblockable damage in t15 you might want to gem for stamina (and have two stam trinkets ready as well), giving your healers some more breathing room to catch up on large, predictable bursts compared to less overall damage taken.

On the reforge part: i don't know if you really have that much of a different gearset but i had to reforge 13/14 times to expertise and use several mix gems to get to the 5100 rating. I can't recommend using trinkets in this calculation because you'll probably swap them regulary, depending on the fight.
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2013-03-13 at 03:59 PM.

Deleted
    You saying i should get 5100 expertise?
    How come? I thought the normal 2.5k cap was enough. Using an addon called "Reforge lite" that does it all for me

Also, what did you mean by "Large amount of nonblockable damage in t15". What exactly is "nonblockable"? Is it everything that isn't melee?
    Last edited by mmoc785098bf0a; 2013-03-13 at 04:59 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanktas View Post
    You saying i should get 5100 expertise?
    How come? I thought the normal 2.5k cap was enough. Using an addon called "Reforge lite" that does it all for me

Also, what did you mean by "Large amount of nonblockable damage in t15". What exactly is "nonblockable"? Is it everything that isn't melee?
    Missed specials means no rage, no rage means no control over your active mitigation.
    It's by no means a must but most tanks opt for it, Murphy's law and all :P

Nonblockable is exactly what it sounds like, attacks that cant be blocked, either by design intent or boss only doing magic damage.

2550 expertise is for the dodge cap and being a DPS behind the boss that's all you'd have to worry about. 5100 expertise is for the parry cap that you'll have to deal with being in front of the boss. I tried the hit/expertise caps but I found I lost too much avoidance for the active mitigation to be worthwhile.

Deleted
    I never felt like i had a problem with rage tbh. Whenever tanking a boss and trying to make sure to take as little damage as possible i spam shield slam, revenge and then devastate until either one of shield slam or revenge goes off cooldown or if i get them instantly off, then use em again and keep shield block up almost 24/7.

But you're saying it's worth dropping alot of mastery to gain shitloads of expertise to ensure higher rage intake?

Btw, thanks for the answers so far!

Deleted
    You don't have to, its by no means mandatory.
    The decision is if you want control or a bit less damage taken.

My comment about Murphy's law is that 95% of the time you'll be fine then shit breaks loose and you get an unlucky string of misses when you needed rage the most.
    I prefer stability and control, knowing i can count on that incoming rage

Its up to you, you're healers and what content your facing

Edit. You also get a dps bonus which shouldn't be neglected, tank dps matters now.
    Last edited by mmoc51f27689b0; 2013-03-13 at 05:32 PM.

Deleted
    It's a question of control as stated before. Missing a style or two after a taunt can be fatal on taunt-swap sensitive fights, missing two shield slams in a row will hurt your rage generation tremendously. It also helps with dps, which isn't trivial at least for 10M. Having another 2550 mastery or avoidance doesn't look that strong compared to all this, especially since we regulary want to gear for worst cases.

Expertise & attack table has changed since cata, there's no 15% parry + 7.5%. There's 7.5% dodge and 7.5% parry and the first 7.5% expertise remove dodge (thus mandatory for most melee dps) while the second 7.5% remove parry. Exp isn't twice as strong before the "softcap" (7.5%) any longer, it's just as good afterwards point by point. There were some calculations flying around at the beginning of MoP, you only need 9% combined hit + exp to gain enough rage to sustain your active preferred mitigation on average, but as said above we prepare for the worst case and not the average situation when everything is under control.

edit: santa beats me to it on the first part almost word by word
    Last edited by mmoc9d5efa7d44; 2013-03-13 at 05:46 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Hit/exp hardcap best fun ever. You can use SB every cooldown basicly and sometimes you can pop swb while sb is up. Pure awesomeness
    Geme smtn 2 kielllllll.

Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    I play Hit/exp hardcap best fun ever. You can use SB every cooldown basicly and sometimes you can pop swb while sb is up. Pure awesomeness
    This work very well, indeed.

Deleted
    I would never tank progress unless its a multi mob fight without expertise hardcap, you gain so much control by having it

With regards to gearing, it really depends on what content you are doing

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lordzed83 View Post
    I found it to difficult to reach the hard cap so i went back to hit cap/soft cap expertise and went mastery and haven't looked back. I see a lot better performance in my raids now.