Thread: Phantom Monitor

Phantom Monitor

so a few weeks back i finished my build but im having an issue i cannot find any answer too. when setting up my 2 displays the screen shows 3 displays
    with the phantom display being #1. it will not let me remove this phantom display, although i can disable it. it still stays marked as #1 though and i cannot remove it. the problem is when i load up my comp it always loads to this phantom display. i cannot see bios, the load screen, anything. after about 15 min or so the desktop does load up on my primary monitor ( labeled #2 ) so i can use my system but this is extremely annoying.
    anyone have any suggestions? i've tried everything that i know with my limited knowledge.
    I-7 3770 cpu, 660ti gpu, main monitor is a 32" vizio lcd paired with a 22" dell lcd. this setup worked fine with my old setup which i built as well ( gtx 250 and e8500 cpu )
    thanks!

nothing : ( boohiss.
    bump.

Deleted
    I don't suppose you've used anything similar to iDisplay recently?

Also, can you go to the device manager and tell us what's listed under 'Monitors'?

negative on idisplay.
    the 3 monitors are the Vizio ( model number of tv ) , the dell ( PnP monitor ) and the ghost monitor ( non PnP monitor ).
    it has done this since i finished the build. never has worked properly.

Deleted
    Can you try disabling the ghost monitor in the device manager (rightclick->disable) and reboot? Or is that how you disabled it before?

Just curious if windows automatically sets it to active again.

i tried that yesterday morning and it seems like it set it active again.

Quote Originally Posted by rig View Post
    i tried that yesterday morning and it seems like it set it active again.
    It should clear up as soon as your click "Make this my main display" on one of the other monitors in the resolution CP. It'd be really odd if Windows still wanted to bring back a display that's not hooked up after that.