Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    what If mom is living with me?

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Some places it's kinda expected that you stay with your parents, so I wouldn't be able to judge that quickly.

Personally, I've been in between. I stayed with my parents till I was 18, went off for compulsory army time; they migrated so my weekends were spent on my own (weekdays were all in camp, of course). After that, I continued to live on my own till uni, which I went to in the country they migrated to. So I stayed with them then. After uni, came back to my home and living alone. I kinda miss having family around, but living on my own has its perks too. Laundry/ironing aren't that much of a chore really, and neither is cleaning my room since I'm generally quite tidy. The hardest part is probably paying rent and trying to keep some of my salary for savings :P

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Velaniz View Post
    Here in Singapore, it's the norm to live with your parents until you at least complete University, and most continue to stay with them for years after that. The youngest friend of mine who doesn't stay with his parents (he has 2 roommates instead) is 22. Houses are ridiculously priced for non-married couples.
    Heh, your quote is exactly what I meant by my first statement. I was alone since I was 18, but that's extreeemely rare. Now I'm 27, and 3/4 of my friends are still staying with their parents because of those house prices you mentioned (in Singapore as well).

Edit: The other 1/4 are married :P
    Last edited by Mavecryst; 2013-07-17 at 07:42 AM.

i graduated college in may. i'm 23 and live at home for the time being as i save up for the incoming student loan bills in december. i don't mind living at home while i pay off most of my debt within a year's time. most of those i know who also graduated decided to do the same as it helps out a lot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dfreeze View Post
    I hear that in Spain the average age of when you get married is around 30. Is that true?
    for men its 32, and women 29.8 (source)

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    that's interesting! I've always wondered this. Some countries came to me as a surprise...all in all its getting later and later in life thats for sure. All my parents era got married under 20 years old, or early 20's

can't understand that ... i moved out at 19. had a small flat till 24, moved to a bigger one ... lived there till 28 ... and then in one years time we had our own home built. solid stone and high quality - we dont regret a thing

I live with my father. But I own my own house he is old and sick. I kind of had no choice. my mother already past away.
    my friend code...

5241-1925-7760 name toasty

up for battles ...after 10/18/2013

I'm not sure why people are making such a big deal of living with your parents into your 20's.
    It's better to live with your parents until you can afford to buy a place and can start paying off the mortgage rather than renting for your whole life, if your parents are Okay with it.
    With today's economy, it's difficult for 18-26 year olds to move out and be stable, unless their family is wealthy.

I'm 26 and have lived on my own since I was 18 for my own reasons - but I've had a very rough time of it.
    I'm only just now finding stability - and I wouldn't wish the hardships I've come through on anybody, if they could avoid it.

I find it particularly surprising that so many people here, on an MMO forum, are condemning that sort of lifestyle. I thought geeks would be more accepting.
    Last edited by Sousoulsu; 2013-07-26 at 02:59 AM.

Deleted
    Would living in a flat attached to your parents house be considered not as bad as living with your parents in the traditional sense?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HermitBear View Post
    Would living in a flat attached to your parents house be considered not as bad as living with your parents in the traditional sense?
    not as bad but still pretty bad i think?
    Hi

At this point in how the world is crumbling around us most people will more then likely not end up living on our own but part of that problem is the economy is so bad and mc donalds jobs are now a career in terms of being able to find work and actually hear back after applying. People that insult others for this must just have it easy and either come from rich families who really don't care what the child does in the end or those that have families that are broken and not close with each other. I would imagine most people who get along with their parents would never fully cut all connections with them.
    My Pokemon Card blog

As far as I can tell there are good reasons to stay at home for a bit longer these days if it is at all possible.

- Crazy student debts in a lot of places
    - High prices of houses
    - Shitty mortgage constructions that ruin you financially because you didn't have a nestegg

It is pretty much the only moment in your life where you can save up some money with ease so you can have a lot more financial security in the future. However, if you are doing that obviously don't piss all your money away in clubs etc. and don't be a lazy bum when it comes to chores around the house or paying your own groceries etc.

Your friends can laugh but they are rotting away in a house they bought when the prices were still killer and got stuck in a bad mortgage product while you are enjoying playing out sellers of currently already cheap houses (in most western countries at least) while paying 25%/35% of the initial house cost out of pocket. Or paying off that high student loan right away. Whatever you need to do to keep intrest payments low and extra money in your monthly budget high.

"oh but I can say I did it by myself". No, you followed social pressure, moving out too soon and buying as big a house as possible, maxing out your credit card on the furniture to act around your friends like you are wealthy RAWR!!!
    Then you are a true sheep following the flock. What they don't tell you are now screwed for the next XX years living month to month while his buddy who saved up for a few years and bought a moderate house in a good market is going on his second holiday this year because he is easily putting away an extra $300 each month.

Anyways, stop listening to stupid people.

I have friends who are like 10,000+ in debt and still live at home, I don't know how people get that far in debt when it's not student loans either.

im just doing it to save up for my own place

Herald of the Titans Drunkenfinn's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I moved out at 19 years old since I got a job from another city. Otherwise I'd prolly still be living at home (I'm 24 now) and that's entirely fine by me.
    I dont see a point in forcibly moving out if you dont have the proper means to live on your own.

One thing that really baffles me is people BUYNG and appartment/house of their own before 30-35 or so? O_o
    Why would you do that? 20-35 or so is the time where you have no idea where you're gonna end up. What if you get an amazing job at another city? It's such a hassle reselling your house/appartment each time you have to move cities, IMO.

If you ask me it's really abnormal to "settle down" before you're 30-35 or older

Deleted
    Since I came back from Australia I've been staying at my mom's place.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not all countries or societies frown on this in fact some places have over 3 generations in one home.

But it is also true that alot of nations are starting to pressure people into this route.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm 28 living with my mom :X
    But:
    I do most of the cooking.
    I do half the cleaning.
    Mom does the laundry.
    We live in a town that you can drive from one end to other in less than 10 mins, so living separately is just waste of money.
    We work in the same place.
    Come home from work, eat dinner, play games till midnight :O

Deleted
    I have a full time job but waiting for GF to finish uni in July before i move out and we're getting our own place - no point atm would just be throwing more money than needed away

Deleted
    I had to move back in with my parents when I left my ex, I would rather have my own place with my BF but he lives in the UK and I live in Holland

oh ye:

my mom does the cooking
    I do half-most the cleaning
    Mom does the laundry
    I do the shopping