Poll: Was this guide useful to you?

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Could you be more specific on what you want specific facts on, Brickerz?

Most things said are just pretty mainstream "try it out and you'll find it's true yourself" - simpleton mechanics really, and as he's stated a couple times the things he's said are mainly guidelines, rather than infinite truths.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks. Well written.

Most things said are just pretty mainstream "try it out and you'll find it's true yourself" - simpleton mechanics really, and as he's stated a couple times the things he's said are mainly guidelines, rather than infinite truths.

You said it better then I did in my last post.

Healing is extremely dynamic in so many ways, and you have to be able to adapt very quickly simply based on what you already have experienced and know. You can't number crunch in the middle of a boss fight and you can't sit yourself to a "specific rotation of spells".

Why? Because any rotation as a healer, will get interrupted by: A mistake causing someones health pool to snap down and you need to save them, a boss targeting something on you requiring you to move, the tanks running out of range, you being required to pop a CD when not expected to. A trinket coming off cooldown, an ability procing.

However, as I said before. I do believe having a list of "Priorities" is a good choice. Knowing what is going to be most beneficial for your average boss situation; which I am adding later today

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    This guide is based off my personal perceptions of the class, and it's ability. I am an avid poster, discusses, and researcher of the priest class and consider myself extremely versed in the functionality of the priest class.

So my "Calculations" are pure experience and discussion between others. I am no EJ theory crafting bible thumper; nor do I believe in it. I think calculations are good in gauging trinket stats and stat priorities.

Again, 8+ years healing. Supportable facts? I don't make any super harsh claims that would really require me to support with facts/math. If you see otherwise, please point out where and I can go into greater detail.
    You just supported what I said that it was all pure conjecture. =\ back to EJ. I guess it was a mistake to come here and expect educated documentation on a class. Good luck with whatever this thing is.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But you just cannot heal based off math. Goodluck!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by brickerz View Post
    I guess it was a mistake to come here and expect educated documentation on a class.
    So in essence you consider numbers on paper and calculations "educated documentation" over years of experience and actual testing? You could almost, and bare with me now, say that numbers on paper and theorycrafting will most likely get you as far as Noxxis's dps class calculations are taking Shadow priests at the moment.

I am by no means claiming reading EJ is bad, nor am I claiming they have wrongful information, I am however saying that just as you would look at Fatbosses video guides, which are based on visual experience, some people might find guidelines based on a disc priests "real life" experience more valuable than theorycrafted numbers lacking the sight of execution.

Whatever floats your boat from a learning point of view, I guess.

Hi, solid guide as far as I can tell. The information is clear and concise and accurate.

I have one question regarding Rapture timers. Recently (in the past 2 days or so) I saw a video of a Disc Priest POV on Lei Shen where the priest in question had various timers underneath his health bar showing his CDs and whatnot. He had a rapture icon there and it looked like a typical icon that was darkened when Rapture was on CD, and lit up when it could be gained.

This may not be the correct spot to post this, but I was hoping someone could tell me what that add-on was. I want to say it was your video Lathus, but I can't recall. Thanks!

Deleted
    Pretty sure this isn't the one you are after, but I've found this one useful. Comes with a beepy sound letting you know Rapture is off cooldown, as well as a configurable timer bar.

http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/ingelasrapture

I have seen that one, although I wasn't aware it played a sound. I plan on using that if this other one doesn't pop up. Thank you, though.

It might be weak auras, in which case check the addon section of my guide. The. Check the weak aura section for the rapture cooldown.

Deleted
    I just realised you might just be referring to a fairly simple Power aura setup?

To quote another topic

If u get power auras you can import sets - which is basically a pre-made setup for a specific spell/ability. Simply open up power auras '/powa' click on 'import set' then paste this in:

Version:4.9; g:0.9686; icon:Spell_Holy_Rapture; buffname:Rapture; r:0.9843; Extra:true; x:1; bufftype:13; stacks:1; texture:16; alpha:0.7; owntex:true; isResting:0; duration:12; soundend:23; size:0.18; y:-224; texmode:2; finish:3; timer.b:0; timer.g:0.8824; timer.h:1.22; timer.UpdatePing:true; timer.enabled:true; timer.cents:false; timer.y:-224; timer.Transparent:true; timer.UseOwnColor:true; timer.ShowActivation:true

The aura will appear once Rapture has been triggred - the 12 sec timer counts down - when the aura dissapears you know u can re-shield for another rapture proc.
    Sounds familiar?

A third option which might be the one you refer too as well is SexyCooldowns.
    Last edited by mmoc94cac24f38; 2013-03-15 at 04:08 PM.

I'm sorry you feel that way. But you just cannot heal based off math. Goodluck!

Quote Originally Posted by brickerz View Post
    You just supported what I said that it was all pure conjecture. =\ back to EJ. I guess it was a mistake to come here and expect educated documentation on a class. Good luck with whatever this thing is.
    Trying to find how best to say this without coming across as rude. Sometimes it is hard to take the advice of someone who claims to be super experienced when in all actuality is very much the opposite. I would say this guide is a good starting point for someone new to priests. I would not agree with quite a few points, however I get the general purpose of it and I'm sure some will be thankful to have a starting off point.

That being said, "you cannot heal off math" is pretty general statement. Theorycrafting has its place for a reason and is valuable. Is it the end all be all? Well no. But that does not mean it should be negated.

I feel like it could be Power Auras or Weak Auras with a special setting to use the icon of Rapture instead of the typical shiny border things that are common with those addons. I will be sure to test out that when I get home. I am trying to find the video I saw. I want to say it was in a topic where someone was questioning the difficulty of Disc spec and someone posted a video of them to show that there is more to the spec than spamming atonement the whole time.

Whether or not they proved their point is immaterial, I just want to find the thing :P

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 11:16 AM ----------

Found it! The video link is in the first post by skribblez32 on the second page in the thread "Atonement became mandatory" since I can't post links.

I suppose I should just talk to the guy that posted that, but if any of you want to take a quick look it would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by khrave08; 2013-03-15 at 04:17 PM.

Deleted
    Looks either like WeakAuras or even TellMeWhen (which I personally use)

As a frame of reference, these are TMW frames (thought I actually dont have Rapture set up on TMW, I used Ingelas addon (above my health frame) back then. Nowadays I have Rapture set up with TMW too. Video is from when my MS was Shadow, thus the messy UI

Last edited by mmoc94cac24f38; 2013-03-15 at 04:28 PM.

Excellent, thank you. I will look into both of those when I get back to my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Irialx View Post
    Trying to find how best to say this without coming across as rude. Sometimes it is hard to take the advice of someone who claims to be super experienced when in all actuality is very much the opposite. I would say this guide is a good starting point for someone new to priests. I would not agree with quite a few points, however I get the general purpose of it and I'm sure some will be thankful to have a starting off point.

That being said, "you cannot heal off math" is pretty general statement. Theorycrafting has its place for a reason and is valuable. Is it the end all be all? Well no. But that does not mean it should be negated.
    I'd like to hear your insight on what you disagree with.

While you might not consider me experienced. I also very much disagree. If you could tell me what you consider experienced I might better understand where you are coming from.

Again, no where did I say theory crafting is wrong and should be negated. No idea where you saw me say that; however numbers can only get you so far in my eyes and without actually playing and understanding usage, numbers will get you no where.

I'd like to hear your insight on what you disagree with.

While you might not consider me experienced. I also very much disagree. If you could tell me what you consider experienced I might better understand where you are coming from.

Again, no where did I say theory crafting is wrong and should be negated. No idea where you saw me say that; however numbers can only get you so far in my eyes and without actually playing and understanding usage, numbers will get you no where.

The back and forth you seem to do with everyone...yea I will pass on that.

Look. I'm not trying to insult you. I'm simply stating that its hard to take the advice of someone who does not have recent heroic experience at all. Like you, yourself said you can "do the math" all day but execution is what I care about. Showing me it works. Had you been Jhazrun I probably would have taken your opinions more seriously. Sorry, its just the way I personally feel about it.

Your guide is great for entry level priests. I'm sure it will bode well for LFR and even Normals. Compliments, kudos, etc etc.

Back and forth? I was simply asking for your thoughts to see if I could potentially expand on an idea.

Not sure how you think I have no recent heroic exp but ok >.>

I know you aren't insulting, I'm simply discussing others views.

I meant...

T11, T12, T13 all end heroic bosses were killed after MOP launch, if at all, effectively making them useless. T14 2 Will kills at the bare end of the tier, no Amber Shaper, Empress, or anything in Terrace. T15, normals not completed. I'm really not going to go back further than that. I think 5 tiers, and 2 expansions is enough.

Not that, that should be the focus of my statement. I was just providing insight into why sometimes it is a bit hard to take the advice seriously.

The back and forth was in reference to the Priest forums in general.

Well alright. Not going to bother explaining the whole guild disbanding thing but I know not everyone is going to agree with me.

Not the purpous of this thread. If you want to consider me in experienced because of 2 tiers of dealing with IRL that's your choice