Poll: Was this guide useful to you?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Oh I wasn't doubting you, just surprised I didn't notice it last night.

While I don't agree with a lot of your posts, this guide is still fine and with some fine tuning could be a great resource and it's great that someone is taking the time to write a guide.

I'll admit that I haven't read through the entire guide, but I do have a couple suggestions:

1) You dismiss glyph of holy fire as completely useless, and still haven't even mentioned it at all in the glyph section. While I do admit this is one of the weakest glyphs and you can generally just position yourself better, occasionally it's better to be max range. Take heroic megaera for example, you want to stay max range as much as possible to avoid torrent of ice cutting off the raid or being kited over stack points for rampage.

2) It's worth mentioning in your guide that the buff from Horridon's Grasp can stack, and that if the second proc happens at the end of the first proc the value of the first proc is essentially doubled. That said, it's also almost impossible to calculate mp5 for this trinket because of the randomness of the procs and stacking. I've had the heroic thunderforged version since week 1 of heroics; my mp5 has been anywhere in the range of 900-2200 on any given fight. When the trinket doesn't stack at all you get the lower values like 900, when it stacks to 4 (I haven't yet seen a 5 stack) you get 2k+ mp5.

3) Another great use for halo is on heroic megaera (25m). Since rampage procs focused will, you can stay out of the raid and still live (ask your other healers to toss you some hots, and give yourself a shield before rampage begins). I usually save halo for when raid cds are falling off, then the halo is an excellent burst heal (think revival for every rampage)

4) I strongly disagree with your advice to cap shells on 2 groups then move on to a 3rd. Doing it this way, you're giving 2 groups massive shields and leaving 2 more completely unprotected. This is fine on a lot of fights, where the big aoe is not a one shot. But take the last phase of heroic horridon as an example, dire call (or especially the combination of dire call and bestial cry) can and will one shot someone who does not have enough passive mitigation or a shell. This also goes for pretty much any fight, I would much rather have the safety cushion that shell provides on as many people as possible, and distributed as evenly as possible. I also generally don't shell the tank group, because either they are on opposite sides of the room or I just don't care to shell the tanks before the big aoe that is going to tickle them. The other people in that group are generally people with high passive mitigation who also don't need a shell. Another example of this would be (pre-nerf) heroic grand empress, where even with a shell ranged could be insta gibbed. Having a group go without a shell for a dissonance field explosion was not an option.

5) In the section on stats, you list the haste breakpoints for renew. However, you don't mention that we would never ever gear for a renew breakpoint. A new disc priest could potentially see haste breakpoints and assume they're useful.

That's all for now, keep updating and improving the guide

1) You dismiss glyph of holy fire as completely useless, and still haven't even mentioned it at all in the glyph section. While I do admit this is one of the weakest glyphs and you can generally just position yourself better, occasionally it's better to be max range. Take heroic megaera for example, you want to stay max range as much as possible to avoid torrent of ice cutting off the raid or being kited over stack points for rampage.
    I never 100% dismissed it, but in 95% of situations range isn't an issue.

2) It's worth mentioning in your guide that the buff from Horridon's Grasp can stack, and that if the second proc happens at the end of the first proc the value of the first proc is essentially doubled. That said, it's also almost impossible to calculate mp5 for this trinket because of the randomness of the procs and stacking. I've had the heroic thunderforged version since week 1 of heroics; my mp5 has been anywhere in the range of 900-2200 on any given fight. When the trinket doesn't stack at all you get the lower values like 900, when it stacks to 4 (I haven't yet seen a 5 stack) you get 2k+ mp5.
    I originally had it in there, then removed it while editing and forgot to put it back in; but yes mp5 is impossible to calculate. Tonight on lei shen, i got back almost 200k mana in 10 minutes, when it does go nuts.. it REALLY goes nuts.

3) Another great use for halo is on heroic megaera (25m). Since rampage procs focused will, you can stay out of the raid and still live (ask your other healers to toss you some hots, and give yourself a shield before rampage begins). I usually save halo for when raid cds are falling off, then the halo is an excellent burst heal (think revival for every rampage)
    Haven't gotten to H meg yet, but thank you for the info.

4) I strongly disagree with your advice to cap shells on 2 groups then move on to a 3rd. Doing it this way, you're giving 2 groups massive shields and leaving 2 more completely unprotected. This is fine on a lot of fights, where the big aoe is not a one shot. But take the last phase of heroic horridon as an example, dire call (or especially the combination of dire call and bestial cry) can and will one shot someone who does not have enough passive mitigation or a shell. This also goes for pretty much any fight, I would much rather have the safety cushion that shell provides on as many people as possible, and distributed as evenly as possible. I also generally don't shell the tank group, because either they are on opposite sides of the room or I just don't care to shell the tanks before the big aoe that is going to tickle them. The other people in that group are generally people with high passive mitigation who also don't need a shell. Another example of this would be (pre-nerf) heroic grand empress, where even with a shell ranged could be insta gibbed. Having a group go without a shell for a dissonance field explosion was not an option.
    I never suggested thats the only way, I said "if you feel comfortable moving to a third" obviously you aren't going to play 100% the same on every fight and the way you use certain abilities is going to shift.

I assume you are suggesting shielding the whole raid? this also assumes you run 1 disc priest, in which case a lot of discs run two. Our guild assigns each disc to two set groups, and has a group we float on. So my usual SS rotation is(groups) Archangel + IF group 2 > 3 > 3 > 2 > 3 >2 >3 > 1 > 1

And if there is enough time, a couple PW:S for rapture and extra mitigation on the groups I didn't get SS on (granted the other disc is not PWS them already)

I was actually thinking about this part today, and planned on adding it in later on how you could go about rotating your shells, so I am glad you brought it up. Gives me more ideas of how to word things. This also comes with communicating with your raid what groups you are SSing, and depending on the guild. Some 25 mans assign healers to specific groups to minimize overhealing/underhealing/sniping.

I do agree with 1 disc, that shielding more then 1 group is far more optimal, in fact I do it myself. I suppose I need to edit that section and explain in detail how having 1 vs 2 discs in a raid works a bit on the SS usage.

5) In the section on stats, you list the haste breakpoints for renew. However, you don't mention that we would never ever gear for a renew breakpoint. A new disc priest could potentially see haste breakpoints and assume they're useful
    I've been meaning to remove it, I put it in just for info then decided it was misleading to the fact that renew might be useful as disc outside of tank healing.

I personally use the Holy Fire glyph a lot. Its EXTREMELY useful for Heroic Horridon and Megaera. It should be listed in this guide, there is no reason to dismiss it.
    Again, I didn't dismiss it. See above post >.> I said in 95% which is not 100% it's not useful

1% Haste = 425.19 Rating
    wtf?
    1% haste === 425 rating.
    Mindbender
    Returns 4,380 (1.46%) mana per attack and will attack 10 times before de-spawning.
    with 0% melee haste MB has 11 attacks, because he made 1st attack atm he spawns.
    SF with 0% melee haste has 9 attacks.
    To achieve that MB should always be spawned through macros.
    4. Qin-xi's Polarizing Seal[*] HEROIC 2/2 UPGRADE ONLY
    - 740.99 MP5
    That and other trinkets with STATIC spirit should have more mp5 because of Rapture.

That and other trinkets with STATIC spirit should have more mp5 because of Rapture.
    I havent added rapture values in yet.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 02:45 PM ----------

wtf?
    1% haste === 425 rating.
    Not according to this.

Quote Originally Posted by HolyLathusDisc View Post
    Not according to this.
    This is bullshit and if you play WoW properly and do some theorycraft yourself, you should know that.

Can you link me a source with your .19 difference?

I appreceate your feedback but I would also appreceate it if you were a little less hostile please.

I appreceate your feedback but I would also appreceate it if you were a little less hostile please.
    Its you who should prove that crazy 425.19 number really.

Any proofs?

I would leave the info about how to calculate haste breakpoints in, just add a note that it is not worth adjusting gear for it. That is nor helpful than just omitting it altogether. In my opionion a good guide should not only describe how to do it but also give some explanations as to why so that the readers can asses changes in the future and make their own conclusions. Mentioning what doesn't not need to be taken into account and why is part of that to show that it was not just forgotten.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Szer View Post
    Its you who should prove that crazy 425.19 number really.

Any proofs?
    He gave one source, you did not, your dismissing of his link doesn't make a proof for your statement. It's your turn to provide a proof and it was from the start the way you phrased that comment.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    I would leave the info about how to calculate haste breakpoints in, just add a note that it is not worth adjusting gear for it. That is nor helpful than just omitting it altogether. In my opionion a good guide should not only describe how to do it but also give some explanations as to why so that the readers can asses changes in the future and make their own conclusions. Mentioning what doesn't not need to be taken into account and why is part of that to show that it was not just forgotten.

---------- Post added 2013-03-29 at 10:57 PM ----------

He gave one source, you did not, your dismissing of his link doesn't make a proof for your statement. It's your turn to provide a proof and it was from the start the way you phrased that comment.
    This wasn't a guide, this was a "How to Disc Priest, by Lathus".

He even admitted so.

(damn, I finally gave in to the urge to comment)

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    NP BRO
    Same source - different numbers:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Combat_rating_system

This guide wroten by man, who never done any theorycrafting.
    That 425.19 number is just - MWAHAHAHAHA

Its really to prove it by yourself. Login, and calc haste numbers like... 100 times. Analazy statistic - and never use wowpedia as source to something.

Way to big letters and spaces, but otherwise good.

Quote Originally Posted by Szer View Post
    NP BRO
    Same source - different numbers:
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Combat_rating_system

This guide wroten by man, who never done any theorycrafting.
    That 425.19 number is just - MWAHAHAHAHA

Its really to prove it by yourself. Login, and calc haste numbers like... 100 times. Analazy statistic - and never use wowpedia as source to something.
    Ah, so do know how to link or formulate a point that can be verified? Your wording is still off though. Maybe when you improve that people might take your posts seriously, because the way you write I wonder if you know what you are talking about, you make it appear like you want to use ridicule to divert us from noticing from something.

Had to temporarily remove all hyperlinks from the guide, it wasn't letting me edit anything until I did so T.T hopefully ill go back and re-add all of them soon...

10+ Year Old Account
    I tested it myself ingame; it's 425. All the rating conversion numbers are nice and round at the moment.

I generally switch out the Penance glyph if I can stay planted long enough to get around it, because it seems like it hurts my mana to keep it on if I don't have to have it for movement. I admittedly am running with lowish Spirit right now because I share alot of gear with my Shadow set (9800) so as soon as I can support it I'd love to keep it on, but you say it should never be switched out. Am I overestimating the mana increase considering I use it on CD or is it viable to not use it if it's not killing me to stand still to cast it? I'm pretty good at stutter-stepping during movement to cast, but if I'm wrong it would be nice to not have to worry about that part. I could probably get similar results by using fewer Shields, but I play with a Druid - and MW on 3heal fights - so I like the way my absorbs give padding and give her HoTs time to tick while I focus on tank and atonement healing.

Quote Originally Posted by HDPriest View Post
    I generally switch out the Penance glyph if I can stay planted long enough to get around it, because it seems like it hurts my mana to keep it on if I don't have to have it for movement. I admittedly am running with lowish Spirit right now because I share alot of gear with my Shadow set (9800) so as soon as I can support it I'd love to keep it on, but you say it should never be switched out. Am I overestimating the mana increase considering I use it on CD or is it viable to not use it if it's not killing me to stand still to cast it? I'm pretty good at stutter-stepping during movement to cast, but if I'm wrong it would be nice to not have to worry about that part. I could probably get similar results by using fewer Shields, but I play with a Druid - and MW on 3heal fights - so I like the way my absorbs give padding and give her HoTs time to tick while I focus on tank and atonement healing.
    I took it off once for a fight and ended up cancelling more than half of my penances. Even if I can stand still, I'll still run around a bit for no reason. I can never play without it now lol

Not using the Penance glyph is just taking away flexibility from yourself. I have around 11k spirit unbuffed right now and so far I've healed every single ToT fight on normal with no mana issues what so ever. Get some healing pieces, even if they're lower ilvl, learn to Rapture properly and you should never have any issue with the Penance glyph. In fact, if you do, I'd almost say it's to do with other parts of your play than the glyph.

I'm even one of the unlucky ones in my raid guild when it comes to loot, still stuck at 503 with a few DPS pieces while some are nearing 520. No mana issues.