Upgrading System

Hello,
    I am upgrading a 2 year old Dell XPS 8100
    I want to replace everything eventually. So far I have upgraded the case, power supply, and Hard Drive.
    I would like some opinions on what to keep/replace to make a decent gaming system.

Budget - $500 - $1000? Flexible
    Resolution - at least 1080p
    Games / Settings Desired - Would like to use it for games at high to maximum settings
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc)
    Country Not Really - Photoshop sometimes
    Parts that can be reused:
    Corsair TX 650w Power Supply
    Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD
    Corsair 600T White Graphite Case
    Generic DVD/RW

Do you need an OS? I have both Windows 7 pro 64bit and Windows 8 Pro (currently running 8)
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No, will eventually want a better monitor (currently HP 23" 1080p LCD

The rest of the system I would like to replace (my processor has been great, but I want to get away from the Dell Board):
    CPU:
    2.80 gigahertz Intel Core i7 860
    64 kilobyte primary memory cache
    256 kilobyte secondary memory cache
    8192 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
    64-bit ready
    Multi-core (4 total)
    Hyper-threaded (8 total)

Board:
    Board: Dell Inc. 0T568R A00
    Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
    BIOS: Dell Inc. A05 07/08/2010

Need Hard Drive (Put my Dell Hard Drive in another computer)

GPU:
    Radeon HD 5750 1GB

RAM:
    8GB (2GB x 4) DDR3 PC3-10600 (non ECC)

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't upgrade the motherboard, or CPU, without doing the other, really. That said...

PCPartPicker part list
    CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z75 Pro3 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($76.99 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($42.03 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card ($234.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $673.97
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Yeah I know I will have to replace both the board and CPU. I like your suggestions and the price. Looks like the motherboard supports USB 3.0, which is cool because my tower has it, but my current board does not support it.

Thank you for your help!

10+ Year Old Account
    Chazus, why a Z75 and not a Z77? This is what I have. Absolutely great board. Costs more than the one you linked, but still well within his budget.

Also, I really wish people would stop linking that cooler. The thing is a fucking MONSTER in size, and not very many cases can actually handle it - nevermind the motherboards. Unless the OP plans on doing some extreme overclocking, he has no need for something like that. Waste of money, especially if he finds out it won't fit in his setup.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Chazus, why a Z75 and not a Z77? This is what I have. Absolutely great board. Costs more than the one you linked, but still well within his budget.
    To me, 'within budget' isn't a good enough excuse to spend money with no benefit. So far, nobody has given me a good reason not to pick the cheapest board the supports the hardware, that comes from a good manufacturer. Why not a Z77? It's $60 more with... as far as I can see, zero benefit. I've asked people to convince me otherwise, and nobody has.

Also, I really wish people would stop linking that cooler. The thing is a fucking MONSTER in size, and not very many cases can actually handle it - nevermind the motherboards. Unless the OP plans on doing some extreme overclocking, he has no need for something like that. Waste of money, especially if he finds out it won't fit in his setup.
    As far as I'm aware, the only thing it wont fit in is something smaller than a mid-atx. I'll likely be installing mine today, and I'll see what clearance it has.

And that cooler is fairly cheap, the only one worth its salt is only $10 cheaper, and is the difference between a noisy 3.8ghz, and a silent 4.4ghz. Price per performance, it's definitely worth it.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    I should have enough room right? I can't link anything yet,but I have a Corsair 600T Graphite - White ATX Mid
    I'll check out the board linked. Thanks for all the input guys.

10+ Year Old Account
    It will fit fine. There is more than enough room for anything in that case.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Thanks, I thought so, it looks huge lol

Is the Sapphire Radeon HD 78780 XT 2GB card discontinued?
    What would be a good alternative if I can't get one? Sorry, I haven't kept up on the latest in a few years

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone else just pointed that out

http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeo.../dp/B00AWKYB1M