Page 1 of 3
LastLast

What GFX to get? 7970, 670, or Titan?

Hello. I simply cannot decide which GFX card to get? Right now i use on board video.. lol !

My setup is:
    2500k ~ 4.2GHz
    16GB ram
    1200 PSU
    24' inch monitor ~1900x1200

I want to play ALL my games in 1900x1200 with everything on max - Crysis 3!

So what GFX should I get you think? I'm thinking about getting the 7970 but I simply don't know if I will be able to run Crysis 3 with everything on max and still have a +40-50 FPS?

I'm also afraid if I get the 7970 or 670, I won't be able to run the NEW games coming during the year with all the eye candy on, hence why I should perhaps just go all in and get the Titan?

.. Oh and yeah.. I use 1 monitor only

So what do you guys think I should get in order to run all games in 1900x1200 with everything on max (all eye candy on) ??

Thanks

Deleted
    http://tweakers.net/reviews/2967/3/c...vs-nvidia.html
    680 would be the better choice imo (if 7970 has very low fps dips +-25 imo)
    unless you got too much money then get a titan :P (but single single screen setup/no intention of going higher resolution, that wouldn't be a wise choice)

I have read wonderful reviews about the 7970. Although I am an Invidia fan, the 7970 seems to be a better graphic card option at the moment.

Of course... if you have the money to spend, get the Titan. I love this card, and I don't think I would replace it anytime soon.
    Last edited by Lucifer Morningstar; 2013-03-15 at 10:07 AM.

Deleted
    Titan will be WAY overkill esp for the price...

The 7970 and 670 will manage but you might see some drop in during frantic parts in crysis. You could go cross fire or sli with either card and be set and save cash over getting a titan but if you have the cash to drop by all means get a titan and you'll be set for games for awhile, and you can always sli if need be to future proof.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jakexe View Post
    The 7970 and 670 will manage but you might see some drop in during frantic parts in crysis. You could go cross fire or sli with either card and be set and save cash over getting a titan but if you have the cash to drop by all means get a titan and you'll be set for games for awhile, and you can always sli if need be to future proof.

http://media.bestofmicro.com/G/8/375...al/1920-VH.png
    titan is beating the 690 there?
    also yes SLI of card works wonders aswell however those can also cause quite some headaches with new games due to drivers not being up to date.

Going SLI / CF is not an option. Don't want to have 2 GFX cards. They consume a lot of power and the noise from those 2.. No thank you! Should I get the Titan and be able to play all games for the next year and half on everything on max or go for 7970 which would be the cheap card? Hmmm...

---------- Post added 2013-03-15 at 11:14 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by drglnc View Post
    Titan will be WAY overkill esp for the price...
    Just like the 690. The gap between 670-680 and 7970 to Titan/690 is incredible ridiculous huge!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xofa View Post
    Going SLI / CF is not an option. Don't want to have 2 GFX cards. They consume a lot of power and the noise from those 2.. No thank you! Should I get the Titan and be able to play all games for the next year and half on everything on max or go for 7970 which would be the cheap card? Hmmm...

Just like the 690. The gap between 670-680 and 7970 to Titan/690 is incredible ridiculous huge!
    you just really want a titan eh? xD (can't blame you im getting my rig back today and finally i can take mine for a spin, damm mobo issues.....)

Deleted

You have a 1200W PSU and are worried about power? Its almost 2x the size needed to run your rig even in sli...

10+ Year Old Account

it's actually rare for a titan to surpass a 690, overall though the 690 is the better choice for the price for dual or single card solutions, if you really want to take advantage of the titan for gaming you need to buy 3 of them

even then, the 690s are still generally better for gaming, there is a reason i haven't replaced mine yet

Titan is proving itself to be a good card for a workstation that can still game, and by workstation i mean heavy compute and live rendering, not editing 5 minute youtube clips or accelerating photoshop
    Last edited by Cyanotical; 2013-03-15 at 10:33 AM.

Titan if you are rich, otherwise 7970. Overall the 7970 and 680 performs about the same but 7970 is cheaper. Some people say that amd drivers suck but in my experience they as good as nvidias.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by blupparen View Post
    Titan if you are rich, otherwise 7970. Overall the 7970 and 680 performs about the same but 7970 is cheaper. Some people say that amd drivers suck but in my experience they as good as nvidias.
    thats because in the recent history they have been pretty impressive for amd.

i personally just dont want to see a titan sitting at 1920x1200, i think all 3 cards you listed will play games at max for the next 2 years, most at least.
    Intel i5-2500k@4.4ghz
    Gigabyte Z68X-UD3H-B3
    Gigabyte N560OC 1gb gpu
    Corsair 2x4gb
    Antec v2 Two Hundred
    Razer Blackwidow Ultimate
    Razer Naga

10+ Year Old Account
    I bought the 7970 Gigabyte a couple weeks ago, the performance in Crysis 3 is sublime. Very high / Fxaa will run at 55-70 fps at average. (2x msaa 45-60)
    You do need to be lucky with the overclock since mine overclocked like a beast.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

It has come down to 7970 vs Titan now.

Would Titan be totally stupid to buy when I only use 1 monitor and play in resolution 1900x1200? - Remember i want to be able to play all the newest games coming this year on this resolution and with ALL eye candy on MAX!

I'm absolutely sure the 7970 won't be able to meet my wishes

10+ Year Old Account
    Buy the 7970, wait for the 8970 / 780 instead of wasting 1000 $.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

It has come down to 7970 vs Titan now.

Would Titan be totally stupid to buy when I only use 1 monitor and play in resolution 1900x1200? - Remember i want to be able to play all the newest games coming this year on this resolution and with ALL eye candy on MAX!

I'm absolutely sure the 7970 won't be able to meet my wishes
    if you want to be 100% sure to have the very best graphics card for at least the whole year (probably even longer), you'll have to go with a titan.
    if you're fine upgrading to the next gen when you start feeling lack in power then go with the 7970. this is going to be cheaper by a large margin, but you'll "lack" (i.e. the could happen a few frame drops once in a blue moon) the power of a titan

my 1200w PSU I got "free" from my dealer since my old 800w died suddenly.
    The main reason why I don't wanna go SLI / CF is because of 2 things:

1) The NOISE of 2 GFX cards during load will be extremely loud?
    2) The power consumption will be twice as high as if I were only using 1 gfx card, doh Higher electric bill :/

3) Never tried it before so.. heh.

10+ Year Old Account
    something that occurred to me, iirc the titan performs worse on 1920 resolutions than it does on 2560 resolutions, probably because it doesn't have enough of a workload

anyway, if you are going to spend a grand on upgrades:

for all out max framrate (very stupid way to rank cards):
    1, Dual GTX-680s in SLI
    2, GTX-690
    3, GTX-Titan
    4, HD7970
    (crossfire still has too many issues)

for best gameplay (smoothest and most enjoyable experience):
    1, GTX-690
    2, HD7970 (and a 512GB OCZ Vector SSD for game storage)
    3, GTX-Titan
    4, Dual GTX-680s in SLI

1 and 2 are more of a toss up, the 690 is obviously better than the 7970, but if you do not already have a large capacity SSD for your games, then you are missing out, having something like skyrim on an SSD makes it a much better experience, and given a limited budget i would actually get a 7970 and a Vector instead of a 690

I'm so much thinking of getting this card here:

http://www.hardocp.com/article/2012/...1#.UUNWm1dcHq4

The 1000$ for the Titan is killing me. Would never forgive myself spending that amount of money on a video card!
    Last edited by Xofa; 2013-03-15 at 05:14 PM.

Single GPU, best card for at least a year, will max every game in the next two years and can play in higher resolution: Titan

Less money, dual gpu and maximum framerates. Will play every game in the next two years and can play in higher resolution: GTX680 in SLI

It all really comes down to this: What do you want? I never say to people who wants and can spend money to not get what they want. You should treat yourself if you can, don't listen to people that are most likely jealous they aren't in your economical situation telling you this and this is better value for money. Yes! We know that, but we don't care. I'd say, if you want something really luxurious and powerful, get a Titan. If you want pure performance go for 2xGTX680, it will be cheaper. If you're sensible and care about your wallet, get a R7970GHz which is clearly the best card you can buy for the money it costs. It won't be a Titan, but it will do the job excellently.