Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Stood in the Fire SaltLakeAtrocity's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Any fight where Affliction strongly outperforms Destruction?

I can't find logs to show any fight where Affliction is doing much more damage than Destruction is capable of doing, or even where Affliction is doing more damage at all more than Destruction. Has anyone found evidence to warrant the legitimacy that Affliction might still have over Destruction?

A little while back I posted about the craziness of considering killing Affliction altogether and running Destro/Demo for progression raiding (Affliction would have to absolutely bitch-slap the shit out of Demo numbers for me to even consider killing off Demo, which may happen; but it doesn't appear to be happening any time soon). This possibility seems all that much more likely with the coming of more logs. Anyone have thoughts on such a build?

-----

And a second sub-question; has Affdots been updated to work with Destro? I havn't run Destro since DS and honestly would not know.
    -- We'll Dance As The Palaces Burn --

I'm currently running Demo/Destro. Destro for Mag and Demo for everything else. Comparing my logs with high ranking Affliction Warlock from the last few days shows me competing with or beating them on every fight I've done so far. Aff is in a pretty bad place when a semi-casual Demo raider can beat high ranked Aff locks in dps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Running with a 10-man guide that frequently runs without haste-buff doesn't help with the Affliction nerfs.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    I'm currently running Demo/Destro. Destro for Mag and Demo for everything else. Comparing my logs with high ranking Affliction Warlock from the last few days shows me competing with or beating them on every fight I've done so far. Aff is in a pretty bad place when a semi-casual Demo raider can beat high ranked Aff locks in dps.
    Affliction is by no means "in a bad place". Please provide evidence before making such claims.

Ohhhkayyy... As I mentioned, semi-casual raider. My Durumu kill post Demonology nerf: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/erm5w...?s=1843&e=2250

Highest dps Affliction kill since the nerf: http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-lg...7#Ahlazandriah

So... Yeah, I stand by my statement. This took me less than 3 minutes to find these logs and type up this post. If you'd like to debate more, I'll gladly put more time into it.
    Is that first one the wrong link? You linked to a Council of Elders kill, and compared it to a Durumu kill.

Well, it is the wrong link. My foot is in my mouth. Apologies.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard actually did a good job this tier. There is at least one spec for each boss that is clearly outdoing the other two specs. It's for you to decide which one it actually is...

By no means is there a clear winner for one single spec this tier. Affliction is bar non better than destro and demo for a few fights.
    Palmz - Warlock
    Imminent
    JUICE
    Eternal Reign
    Infallible
    Duality

Deleted
    Anecdotal evidence. Besides, Affliction Warlocks scale great (and benefit a LOT from the recent RPPM changes - once you get your hands on some good gear and potentially a heroic RPPM trinket, Affliction will pull ahead (for single target, anyway).

Well, from the first 8 heroic bosses, I have been affliction on 6, demo on 1, and destro on 1. Affli is still extremely strong. (except Megaera, I dno wtf is up with her).

I don't think there is a particular fight where affliction excels in ToT, destruction is very competitive dps now and is better than affliction for a few fights.

Deleted
    Aff is in a pretty bad place
    I don't know about that.

I've noticed a slight dps drop, but I have no trouble competing for and often taking top damage spot in my raid as affliction (though I've no idea if I could do the same as destro, I've really slacked on learning multiple specs after the MOP revamp, which I kick myself for daily). We're not a super hardcore group and it's obviously anecdotal evidence, but I wouldn't call the other people I raid with bad, some of them have ranked in the top 5 on multiple fights.

That aside, if you want to try destro instead of affliction it's certainly a viable choice after all these nerfs - I've recently replaced demo with it, you can set up needtoknow for it with little to no effort, which is the addon I migrated to after affdots stopped updating some time during cata, very similar utility in terms of dot tracking, superior for other things like CD tracking - only thing I miss is dot displaying on mouseover.

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    Well, from the first 8 heroic bosses, I have been affliction on 6, demo on 1, and destro on 1. Affli is still extremely strong. (except Megaera, I dno wtf is up with her).
    Which fights was it you played demo and destro on btw?

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispotter View Post
    Which fights was it you played demo and destro on btw?
    Horridon (destro), Durumu (Demo). Ice walls, man.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nephrenka View Post
    Affliction is by no means "in a bad place". Please provide evidence before making such claims.
    That´s true. Don´t forget kids that every progress guild with highskilled warlocks have their logs on "private". My old raid is genuine which are full-time private since a few months because they doesn´t need this attention whoring anymore. Just because you don´t see better locks than you doesn´t mean they aren´t out there and laughing at you ...

http://worldoflogs.com/guilds/137224/
    http://www.wowprogress.com/guild/eu/blackrock/genuine

Infracted
    Last edited by xskarma; 2013-03-17 at 02:04 PM.

By all means link your top 10 WoL rankings.

---------- Post added 2013-03-17 at 08:25 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by evralia View Post
    Well, from the first 8 heroic bosses, I have been affliction on 6, demo on 1, and destro on 1. Affli is still extremely strong. [/B]except Megaera, I dno wtf is up with her)[/B].
    I have noticed on some bosses (can't think of one off the top of my head) that they take less damage from a certain school of magic.
    I know it isn't intentional but thats how it seems.
    Last edited by lockedout; 2013-03-17 at 08:26 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, it is the wrong link. My foot is in my mouth. Apologies.
    you're also comparing a heavy AOE fight, of course demo is going to beat affliction on that fight, even post-nerfs.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    By all means link your top 10 WoL rankings.
    I'm not sure what point you're trying to make with your pseudo flame, but I'll gladly step on it.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/sqjj0otlb80no944/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/ft1eejgwy6dzjm9t/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/awt56gn7vsyxbcul/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/erm5wa434cwrwonv/
    http://worldoflogs.com/reports/0n2v9u8k4obcorkf/

Again, I'm a casual raider. I didn't come into this thread to brag or start a problem with anyone. I made a mistake earlier in the thread that I apologized for. Don't attack me.

10+ Year Old Account
    So there's a bunch of stuff about Destro being competitive, but finding one actively raiding warlock who actually gears (according to armory, for what little that's worth) with stated Destro stat priorities is like looking for Penguins in the Serengeti. Is everyone reforging on a daily basis or are you just using your Affliction reforges and maintaining a competitive Destro build with that?

Quote Originally Posted by SaltLakeAtrocity View Post
    So there's a bunch of stuff about Destro being competitive, but finding one actively raiding warlock who actually gears (according to armory, for what little that's worth) with stated Destro stat priorities is like looking for Penguins in the Serengeti. Is everyone reforging on a daily basis or are you just using your Affliction reforges and maintaining a competitive Destro build with that?
    Reforging for destro is on a fight by fight basis. Currently I'm reforged for Sup reforging.

I personally have a mod that saves my different reforges and update it with each new piece of gear I get so I can switch to sup/sac, single/two/multi target fights.