Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Kanrethad Ebonlocke FAQs

As the Green Fire thread has become very long; and what started out as PTR speculation, has turned into discussion of the quality of the full questline itself, strategy guides and anything and everything related, which is confusing and difficult to navigate so a lot of the same questions are coming up time and again and making it even worse as the discussion turns around on itself. So I've put together these common questions for the Kanrethad encounter to put everything about that in one place and will add to it as they come up.

I'd like this thread to be for simple questions rather than drawn out discussion of strategies of which there are many in the other thread.

This is a difficult encounter, while some players will be able to beat this in few tries, most will to spend hours or even days over it. Unsurprisingly, the most often asked question is:
    Can you leave the instance and come back without having to redo all the pre-quests?
    Yes you can. When you re-queue at BT's doors, you will be taken directly to the end boss when you enter.

What ilvl is this tuned for?
    It seems to be 'tuned' around 500 ilvl. Past that you will have an easier time with most of the mechanics, but as with all the content it can, and has been done with much lower.

Can it be done in PvP gear?
    Yes. As above though, expect it to be rather harder due to lower item level, and gems/enchants/reforges not being optimised for dealing damage in PvE content.

I don't have the DPS to beat the Doom Timer, this is unfair because I can beat all the mechanics
    You can use a Purification Potion to remove Curse of Ultimate Doom and extend the fight. Interupting Kanrethad's rotation at the start with your Pit Lord's Charge can also add over a minute to the fight by disrupting when he gets around to applying it.

The second set of Felhunters can dispel Enslave wherever I place my Pit Lord
    Enslave has a 5 minute duration, so it will expire around about when the second wave of Felhunters are up, so it may not actually being them dispeling. You need to re-enslave before that point. I found the ideal time is while Kanrethad is summoning the first Doom Lord as it is a very 'quiet' time in terms of damage and anything else happening.

That said, I observed that they seem to have a 270 degree field of view, rather than a 180 degree arc; you still need to be very careful.

Where do the Annoying Imp and Black Holes come from?
    These appear as a result of failing to dispel Seed of Terrible Destruction before it expires, there are three random effects of failing to dispel it:

- Backfire
    - Annoying Imp
    - Black Hole

Backfire and Annoying Imp share the same debuff icon as Seed of Terrible Destruction but are undispelable, so if you're using addons or don't have the options selected you might find it difficult without mousing over to work out which debuffs you have.

Are the phases timed or based on health percentage?
    Phases are timed, not based on health. After the second Doom Lord, there are no more Felhunter or Doom Lord summoning phases, these are replaced by repeated Imp phases if you use the above noted Purification Potion to extend the fight.

What's the best spec to do this?
    Comfortably Destruction, but it can be done in any spec with Demonology generally considered the 'harder' of the three.

Once I've done the quest, can I find more Sealed Tome of the Lost Legion and sell them for an extortionate price on the Auction House to less fortunate or lazy Warlocks?
    Yes, absolutely.

Do Sacrificial Pact and Soul Link use your health or the Enslaved Demon's?
    They confer the usual benefits from using GoSac, basing their bonuses off your own health.

Useful Macros

Charging Kanrethad.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /tar Kanrethad Ebonlocke
    /cast Charge

Fel Flame Breath.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Fel Flame Breath

Also commonly used is one targetted at the player to dispel:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [@player] Fel Flame Breath

Enslaving the Pit Lord.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /tar Pit Lord
    /cast Enslave Demon

Dismissing your Pit Lord to re-enslave. Note that Flames of Xoroth will cause the Pit Lord to completely despawn.
    Code:
    /script PetDismiss();

Pet move.
    Code:
    /petmoveto
    Demonic Siphon.
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Demonic Siphon
    Last edited by Jessicka; 2013-03-21 at 01:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Good idea for a thread, linked it to it in the OP of the "official" thread. I suspect we'll get 2 threads running now, but with this having straight answwers to some it is in someways a better thread to keep around for future use with people coming in late to do this fight and seeking answers. Bookmarked!

It should be noted that Kanrethad will not cast chaos bolt on you if you have the demonic gateway debuff on you, also if you use charge on cd liberally before the first imp phase especially before finishing a chaos bolt cast you will wreck the boss making it a much shorter fight.

I'd post my pit lord macros but don't have them on hand atm.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gohzerlock View Post
    It should be noted that Kanrethad will not cast chaos bolt on you if you have the demonic gateway debuff on you, also if you use charge on cd liberally before the first imp phase especially before finishing a chaos bolt cast you will wreck the boss making it a much shorter fight.

I'd post my pit lord macros but don't have them on hand atm.
    Nice idea, included my macros in the OP.

Deleted
    A few tips from someone who did it at 482 item level;

-4 piece T14 is incredibly sexy (and easy to get in LFR) because of how it syncs with add waves.
    -Use charge when you're about to finish chaos bolt and then chaos bolt another two times and you'll get in 3 chaos bolts with 100% extra damage done.
    -Have your embers EMPTY before the start of any imp phase, you'll easily be refueled with RoF.
    -Stand in the middle of an imp swarm and use the Fel Flame Breath macro to absolutely destroy them!
    -Remember you have a 200k heal on a 20s cooldown.
    -Your Pit Lord doesn't need to be LoS, just behind the felhunters. Use Rain of Fire to instantly turn them away from him.
    -Use Havoc on 1 felhunter, target another and start casting chaos bolt and charge to that add. The damage increase will spread to your havoc target and you'll one shot two felhunters.
    -Demonic Portal will drop any aggro you have, use it on cooldown to let the pit lord tank kanrethad instead of having to pop pet shield + twilight ward for chaos bolt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    A few tips from someone who did it at 482 item level;

-4 piece T14 is incredibly sexy (and easy to get in LFR) because of how it syncs with add waves.
    -Use charge when you're about to finish chaos bolt and then chaos bolt another two times and you'll get in 3 chaos bolts with 100% extra damage done.
    -Have your embers EMPTY before the start of any imp phase, you'll easily be refueled with RoF.
    -Stand in the middle of an imp swarm and use the Fel Flame Breath macro to absolutely destroy them!
    -Remember you have a 200k heal on a 20s cooldown.
    -Your Pit Lord doesn't need to be LoS, just behind the felhunters. Use Rain of Fire to instantly turn them away from him.
    -Use Havoc on 1 felhunter, target another and start casting chaos bolt and charge to that add. The damage increase will spread to your havoc target and you'll one shot two felhunters.
    -Demonic Portal will drop any aggro you have, use it on cooldown to let the pit lord tank kanrethad instead of having to pop pet shield + twilight ward for chaos bolt.
    All very good tips I have one you missed tho :P For the imp phase, if you have taken the talent Soul leech (which you should) you can cast a Fire and Brimstone + Incinerate to get a huge shield that will let you absorb almost a full chaos bolt (if you stun the adds or kill them with that incinerate cause otherwise the imps will do enough damage to take the shield off you)

Another good tip is for minor glyphs, glyph of enslave demon giving you a 50% cast time reduction is so very helpful. Especially at the felhunter stage if a dispel happens... also I found glyph of gateway attunement helped much also, just one less thing to click really.

I just finished this evening and I have to say, once the boss gets to 20% I was lucky enough to have imps come out at around the same time. With infinite shadow burns the bosses health just melts, if things start looking like a shit storm don't worry the fight won't last much longer. Just be careful that you are still mindful of chaos bolt, I made the mistake of being overly excited and thought I could kill him before chaos bolt (sac pac on cd) with the boss at 1% hp and wiped. :/

Finally plz remember to put the pit lord on passive, I had a few attempts first dealing with the felhunters where the pitlord would start attacking them resulting in so much dispel and massive failure that was just a stupid mistake really.
    Last edited by Gohzerlock; 2013-03-17 at 06:52 AM.

this threat deserves a sticky!

The second set of Felhunters can dispel Enslave wherever I place my Pit Lord
    Enslave has a 5 minute duration, so it will expire around about when the second wave of Felhunters are up, so it may not actually being them dispeling. You need to re-enslave before that point. I found the ideal time is while Kanrethad is summoning the first Doom Lord as it is a very 'quiet' time in terms of damage and anything else happening.
    This is what cost me 90+ wipes, with so many things going around i completely forgot about the timer on enslave until i read it wow forums, kept one of the fel hunters form p1 alive at low health, pull the pitlord into LOS, got dispelled then i enslaved him again,

good luck everyone

edit: this helps as well

/tar Pit Lord
    /cast Enslave Demon
    /targetlasttarget
    Be feared, or be fuel

Deleted
    /cast Health Funnel
    /cast [target=Filth] Command Demon
    /cast Fel Flame Breath

/cast [target=focus] Charge

I used those two.

The first wave of felhunters dispels my pit aswell :| Even if he is far away or behind the pillar? wtf
    Last edited by TiagoRamos; 2013-03-17 at 02:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TiagoRamos View Post
    The first wave of felhunters dispels my pit aswell :| Even if he is far away or behind the pillar? wtf
    Everyone has their own strategy for Felhounds, but after beating Kan twice, I found placing your Pit Lord tucked away in a crevice, then kiting Felpuppies away is the best route to go. Make sure he is turned away.
    Last edited by Schirmy; 2013-03-17 at 04:47 PM.

Personally, I hate the fight, felhunter devour thing should be somewhat changed to a 180 radius imho. Makes things easier.

10+ Year Old Account
    Something useful that I used is that you can run GoSac and you will keep the buff once the Pit Lord is enslaved. Personally, I preferred to sac an imp as the singe magic spell was the main way I handled dispelling myself as I didn't occur to me that the Pit Lord can dispel you as well as the boss D:

But overall the phase that I had the most trouble with were the Fel Hunters (after learning that the Pit Lord can be enslaved as I was trying to chain fear him for the first few attempts XD). On the attempt that I had pooled 2 embers for that phase and havoc chaos bolted and shadowburned 2 Fel Hunters down and finished the other I finished the rest on my first go at it. (thanks to Zum for his PTR video <3)

10+ Year Old Account
    Did it today in 489ilvl equipped . Struggled a whole week but managed to get it .
    Ask me any questions you want.
    I come across a quiet river, that wonders through the trees.
    I stare into its running waters and fall unto my knees.
    In resignation to the forest, that's held me for so long.
    I close my eyes and drift away into nature's evensong.

Any tips of how to do it as demonology specced warlock?

I simply cant kill the felhunters, got 497 ilvl. Anyways I really hate playing destro... I know some people did this with demonology but I think its even harder... my pit lord gets devoured all the time. Then I cant get the 3 felhunters fast.. and after that he casts a chaos bolt :|

Placing your Pit Lord far let when you go right to near your portal is good because:
    1) The felhunters will not face him
    2) Even some felhunter dispels the pit lord, you will have enough time to finish them and renslave the Pit Lord.
    Ghostcrawler is gone, time to celebrate!

It should also be noted that the Pit lords fel breath will dispell all debuffs on you, except curse of doom and annoying imp. It will do a small amount of damage to you but it can be very helpful if you need to clear debuffs quickly.

I found that using the fear glyph to CC the pit lord when felhunters dispel enslave made the whole fight much easier, rather than putting him in a far of corner and dpsing down the adds before he gets to you or having him beat on you the whole time.

Also after 2 sets of each add he will only spawn fel imps, so if you get to that point (using the potion to clear doom) the fight becomes a lot easier at that point.

Finally got it down today, probably around 20 attempts total. I will break down how I did it. Destro 483 ilvl. Talents are Soul Leech, Shadowfury, Sac Pact, Blood Horror, Sac and KC. I sacced an imp to get his dispel.

First set up portal across the room from where boss is summoned so you can LoS the chaos bolts and set up demon gateway in the middle of the room. The trick to this fight is spamming your gateway to drop aggro, you can keep the curse off you for the first minute or so and avoid quite a few chaos bolts just from doing this.

Imps - Stand in middle of them and put breath on you, aoe them down. I just killed them asap as I felt it was easier to deal with this way.

Fel Hunters - He will cast cataclysm then go to summon them. Make sure you have at least 2 embers saved up for this. Right after he casts cataclysm make sure to breath yourself to clear debuffs and immediately send your Pit Lord behind the pillar to the right of the boss's portal. When the first hunter comes out, dark soul chaos bolt/conflag/shadowburn him. Havoc another one and shadowfury them both, chaos bolt/conflag/shadow burn the next, then finish off the last one. This part is the pain in the ass and if you can kill them you can beat this boss.

Doomguard - When the boss starts summoning the first doomguard dismiss your pet and reenslave him. Soulshatter and get aggro on the doomguard with your pit lord.

Repeat above steps until he summons imps for the 3rd time and he is at 20%. At this point RoF/fnb immo them, pop everything you can and spam shadowburn the boss. He will drop pretty fast.

To beat this boss you have to use basically every ability you have. Sometimes you have to spam embers to heal yourself, and you will have to use your defensive cd's correctly to survive if you are undergeared like me. I will answer any questions if anyone has any.