Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH1471 View Post
    I remember buying boxed games and getting 300+ page manuals with it, took up so much space. I much prefer it digitally now, no need to keep track of discs.
    I could basically just throw my box/disc in the garbage and it wouldn't matter. Digital download only means you don't get the box and you download the game client over the internet. A key from a box is going to work exactly the same as upgrading your account online because they both upgrade your account.

Quote Originally Posted by Wælcyrie View Post
    Over the last few years games companies have been reducing the amount of paper content inside the cases which really annoys me.

It means we don't get any content to read inside the case anymore, I got SC2 and HOTS a few days ago.

HOTS was collectors edition I was actually hoping there would be a bad ass manual inside the game box but I was wrong.

And in the SC2 case there was a bit of paper with some quick start info on...

Does this agitate anyone else who likes to have physical copies to read the books inside? D: I miss having expansions for WoW and the manual having loads of lore and other info inside to read and mists of pandaria didn't have any and cata had BARELY any inside the manual.
    I remember reading the Starcraft 1 lore on the manual while in my bed once when I was young. It was great, but it can't happen again, because of digital copies being the trend, and because Starcraft 2 raped the lore with no turning back possible...It is sad.

Remember the days when you didn't have to have an internet connection to activate your newly bought game?

Deleted
    The only reason I really liked the instruction manuals was because they gave me something to read on the train home from the game shop. Now I get them digitally, and that need is removed. If I really need instructions, the manual is always close at hand via PDF.

Also, disks have a short lifespan. Keep 'em as pristine as you like, they'll stop working on you eventually. True story.

Quote Originally Posted by GeordieMagpie View Post
    ..Isn't the story and tutorial all within the game?

I understand your nostalgia but..time's changed.
    For nostalgia and changes of times, toilets still work the same and those things were perfect toilet read. Time didn't change that one bit. What you probably also meant to say that "tutorial" in the game bit is that games have been dumbed down to a point where 5 minute in game tutorial is sufficients to get you through the game.

On the other hand, there are still some products that come with awesome in-case content, Witcher 2 being the last one I got. This one image speaks more than thousand words really:

Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Templar 331 View Post
    Game guides in the case were definitely a plus back in the day. But that was before internet. I would love reading the back story and how to play the game before playing it.
    Same here, but then again look at the quality of games nowadays. Some companies have found ways to pump out really good games on a regular basis. Others pump out a game with a bunch of problems, simply because it's "mostly" done, then make you pay for DLC that fixes the game, or make a game with only a few hours worth of gameplay and then release tons of DLC, half of that which adds new items that may or may not be better than whats in game already, the other half which adds an hour or 2 of gameplay to the game at the most.

Then you have games like Assassin's Creed and Skyrim. I've noticed that AC has gotten a lot of hate over the past few years, but I still love those games with a passion. It's not something I can finish in a day, and being a history buff, provides an exciting, enthralling setting in which you're in the middle of an important historical event or time. Skyrim, well theres not much else that needs to be said on that. The average Skyrim player has something like 300 hours of play time on that game? Theres just so much to do, and their DLC actually offers something substantial, so I truly hope they live up to their promise like they said and continue to put out DLC so long as enough people are still playing it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieMagpie View Post
    ..Isn't the story and tutorial all within the game?

I understand your nostalgia but..time's changed.
    Skyrim box still came with a giant map. Now, if that was on the computer, I doubt I'd be able to hang it on my wall.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember the Age of Empires (and AoE2, plus all xpacs) manuals that were included in the game box having an absolute PLETHORA of information, including historical information related to but not directly involved with the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much as I would love a nice case and manual I really don't care that much about it as long as I at least get a physical copy of the game. If we were to go back to PS1 style CD cases with just a sheet of paper in front and back and the manual on the disc I would be fine with it, heck I would even accept a disc in a paper sleeve. But digital only games? Fuck that to hell. I will NEVER support digital games for as long as I can. I'm proud to say that out of the thousands of games I own I can count the number of digital ones I own on one hand (and I got them for free). I just refuse to go/support the digital route, I see no benefit from it (personally), I could never justify paying full price for a download and in the long run I think it will have a big negative effect on people who wish to replay older games that are no longer supported online. Pretty much the only digital content for games I can stand are patches and user generated content/mods. Anything else I pretty much instantly hate.

So beyond that rant there is one thing that really disappoints me with digital manuals. You would think that with not needing to be restricted to a couple printed pages that game designers could create some really awesome in-game instruction books that show character art, make the manual seem like something out of the game and give in depth descriptions of characters, items and regions in the game. Only game recently that sort of did this was Ni No Kuni with its in-game version of the Wizard's Compendium. While I can accept not having a physical manual, it just really disappoints me that they don't try and at least make a niffty in-game one.

console still has those manual FUCK YEAH I was/am collecting those I have over 400 (I was takign the one in the blockbuster boxes on release lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    I still remember when my dad used to play silent hunter, the manual was huge and i always liked taking a look at it, while games like sc2 are just "hey here's the game, 3 guest passes cd and ta-dah~" while adding pictures of units that never get past the beta stage (warhounds)

10+ Year Old Account
    Game manuals and other paper stuff are now DLC.
    Pay additional $100 to get them with a "collector's edition".
    That's why you need me.... Need someone to punish you for your sins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by aztr0 View Post
    I enjoy having the physical product. I don't care how people get to play a game a day or two earlier. It is sad that the industry is moving towards the digital age, and it should cost the companies less... but then how come the games still cost the same or more? Which is also one of the reasons I want the physical product, I feel more bang for my buck lol.
    I agree with this. I have been crying about this for a while now.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    i think physical copy and digital copy should be paired.

I do enjoy a well illustrated, nicely printed game box and manual plus extra (reference card, map, artwork printout, poster...)

I also enjoy digital distribution, not having pop DVD in drive to play the game, update check, being able to re install game on any computer anywhere in the world from a steam/origin/uplay/greenmangaming account.

I also like the fact that digital distribution allow for rather heavy discount (steam sales...)

seams to me that physical copy should be tuned for collectioner, with tons of plus, sor of like a collector edition, but reasonably priced. Physcal copy should automatically qualify you for digital distribution of the game (which is mostly true nowadays), but i still have to pop DVD once in a while (last in mind was bioshock 1)

and digital copy should be aim at lower budget, bare minimum game + manual in PDF but a lower cost.
    Last edited by Vankrys; 2013-03-18 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    For nostalgia and changes of times, toilets still work the same and those things were perfect toilet read. Time didn't change that one bit. What you probably also meant to say that "tutorial" in the game bit is that games have been dumbed down to a point where 5 minute in game tutorial is sufficients to get you through the game.

On the other hand, there are still some products that come with awesome in-case content, Witcher 2 being the last one I got. This one image speaks more than thousand words really:

Not saying there's not a point to be made here but in your picture you're comparing a PC game to a Console game. Console games have never had more than a manual. If they did it was very rare.

With physical gameshops closing left and right (a lot in my land), you can't have even game case, as your only real option is to get game digitally (unless you want to pay double of price and have broken CD being sent to you).
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler Log View Post
    Remember the days when you didn't have to have an internet connection to activate your newly bought game?
    I still live in such days Games which require some internet activation or, even worse, internet connection while not being MMO, don't exist for me - I don't even read their reviews. I am far from being alone in such approach, but current game companies don't look like learning from it. Their loss, they don't even try to understand that their games are far from being compelling to buy even without heavy DRM. I wouldn't want most of current games even for free.

I pretty much only read the manual on the toilet. Now I have a Kindle for that.

I understand from a collectors point of view it is a disappointment but it's hardly practical these days with the whole internet thing. If a company can save a few cents per game, they will.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergtau View Post
    I could basically just throw my box/disc in the garbage and it wouldn't matter. Digital download only means you don't get the box and you download the game client over the internet. A key from a box is going to work exactly the same as upgrading your account online because they both upgrade your account.
    I'm all well and good with digital copies for their ease of access and lack of clutter but why, why WHY do they have to make boxes LESS desirable to make digital copies more disereable?!

I just picked up SCII: HotS and got a one page "manual" with 5 freaking guest passes. "You bought our game? Well here's something to help us get MOAR MONIES". If you're getting so much fucking money then at least put some effort into your boxes.

At least standard edition Skyrim came with that awesome map even if it's manual was smaller. Bigger companies focus way too much on the bottom line. I honestly don't understand why consumers (including myself) are putting up with their shit.
    Last edited by Flaks; 2013-03-19 at 12:41 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    Not saying there's not a point to be made here but in your picture you're comparing a PC game to a Console game. Console games have never had more than a manual. If they did it was very rare.
    While you are right, DA2 from what I remember didn't have any more in the box than the console one so his point somewhat stands. I also seem to remember some old console games with as much documentation as some PC games had.