Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Totle View Post
    With all the blue posts and hints, I'm getting a strong feeling that the "unannounced feature" is going to be some kind of challenge mode or scenario involving old instances. To that end, I would LOVE if for Lower and Upper Blackrock Spire they allowed for 10 or 15 players to enter.
    Its LFR that makes you do old raids I think I read? Scaled down etc.
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

Quote Originally Posted by Nightelfsb View Post
    Its LFR that makes you do old raids I think I read? Scaled down etc.
    Pure speculation, Blizz hasn't given any specific info about it at all.
    Q: Where the fuck is Xia Xia, SIU?!?!
    A1: She needs to start making eggs for Easter...
    A2: Drunk and sleeping somewhere.

Yes, and when I was a newb I didn't realise raids = less xp so I used to just keep inviting people till no more could enter so we could finish it.
    #memories

5 man scholo (b4 nerf) was a pain in the arse and yeah ppl wiped on rivendare even with a 10man raid!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Soratrox View Post
    Like 90%+ of vanilla bosses had no mechanics at all, it was just tank and kill them. And the few that had mechanics were single mechanics like, one player gets MCd, or the boss AoEs sometimes, or adds spawn.

To say that there's no difference between that and Taran Zhu, a fight where you have to monitor rising hatred (and use meditation to lower it), stay out of the AoE ring, and deal with adds that pull the entire group and build more hatred, is just ignorant.

Hell, the average mists 5 man boss has more complicated mechanics than any Vanilla raid boss pre-Onyxia.
    Let us see, nothing special about Tharan zhu at all. You don't really need to monitor your hatred, since it is right infront of your phase. Walking out of a ring of blackness came from Vanilla and TBC. So thats an old mechanic so not really any evolved mechanics at all.

Let us see, sunken temple the troll bosses. Where the tank had to keep check on two bosses plus be aware that the team could transform into a hulking dire troll was more to think on then anything else. Plus back then healers had to monitor their mana use, check their items that they had a good mana regen and over all dps had to be good. So in that aspect in comparison to Pandaria boss, there was a lot more to think about as your class knowledge. Now it isn't much things to think about? More tank and spank. Hell I can have a 30 min fight with a boss without healer having any problem keeping up. ( Even thought I think boss goes berserk before that. )

You get all items with armour and so on through simple quests among other things, all loots are specified to your class and it is not hard to choose right items. And as many said before, back then. Everything was new and that increased the level of difficulty. Now wow has gone for the more casual look which allows new players to easily get into it without any struggle.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by D3athsting View Post
    5 man scholo (b4 nerf) was a pain in the arse and yeah ppl wiped on rivendare even with a 10man raid!
    Rivendare was in Stratholme :P

Do you mean Darkmaster Gandling?

But yeah classic dungeons were challenging, they may not have had the most exciting boss mechanics in the game, but remained challenging none the less. Players who never got to experience older dungeons when they were relevant really have no idea how easy they have it nowadays. It's like a completely different game.

Also I think the reasons they were as hard as they were was because player health/damage/mana was in proportion back then, you couldn't just stand there and laugh it off as a boss chips away at your hp 1% at a time. Healers couldn't indefinitely heal you without ever having to worry about mana, if you pulled aggro you died etc.
    Last edited by mmoc3784f78918; 2013-03-18 at 08:17 AM.

hmm during my time in tbc i went with my guild in RFC with 10 peeps.
    it was a very nice officer meeting back then lol.
    yes some of thos eplayers cleared the cleared the place cuz it was fun.

good ol days

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    you used to be able to raid those instances.
    there was no max player cap ect.

ppl where doing 15man stratholme runs 2.

and yes the placed a player cap on these instances seeing it was piss easy to zerg stratholme with 15 ppl while it was tuned for 5man.
    Thats because stratholm _was_ a 15 man dungeon. It was tuned for 15 players. Then changed to 10. Then to 5

Deleted
    My first dungeon was Blackfathom Deeps with 9guildies after only playing a week or two.

It was more confusing than having sex for the first time.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by StijnDP View Post
    It was more confusing than having sex for the first time.
    Hahahaha. That made my day.

Quote Originally Posted by GuldTasken View Post
    This memory is probably the strongest one in my WoW life. The day when I and a friend collected 20 people on lvl 10-15 for a raid in the five man instance Dead mines!

I have yet to solve the reason for WoW to remove that possibility and anyone else who remember these days? Shame one can't reach out to GhostCrawler and ask him why they removed the option to enter an instance with 40 people in a small instance such as Deadmines. They should reimplant it for all old instances up to Cataclysm content.

Oh, and hey, new to the forums. Didn't find anything in search option so...
    As far as I can ever remember old dungeons with the exception of Stratholme, Scholomance, LBRS and UBRS, you could only ever have 5 people in it. The ones I named were non tier raids that pretty much required you to have 10-15 players in it to succeed. Allowing raid groups in those were removed in 2.0 IIRC or later. We tried to to bring additional people to a full BRD clear and only 5 could enter and this was just as people were starting to raid MC and people still had white gear.

This memory is probably the strongest one in my WoW life. The day when I and a friend collected 20 people on lvl 10-15 for a raid in the five man instance Dead mines!

I have yet to solve the reason for WoW to remove that possibility and anyone else who remember these days? Shame one can't reach out to GhostCrawler and ask him why they removed the option to enter an instance with 40 people in a small instance such as Deadmines. They should reimplant it for all old instances up to Cataclysm content.

Oh, and hey, new to the forums. Didn't find anything in search option so...
    You can ask Ghostcrawler anything your heart desires on twitter, and if he can answer within the character limit, he usually will.

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 08:18 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by wrathblade View Post
    you used to be able to raid those instances.
    there was no max player cap ect.

ppl where doing 15man stratholme runs 2.

and yes the placed a player cap on these instances seeing it was piss easy to zerg stratholme with 15 ppl while it was tuned for 5man.
    In December of 2004 and early 2005, most people could not handle those places in a 5 man. They were significantly nerfed as well as player cappped. It wasn't really an issue of zerging Stratholme, most of the community needed that many people to actually do it. Scholo and Stratholme mind you I am saying, not all Vanilla 5 mans.

Nobody was raiding any of the other 5 mans except for mindless fun back then. Scholo and Strat however were a different story when this game was less than a year old.
    Last edited by Yig; 2013-03-18 at 01:21 PM.
    If you like my draw-rings. http://yig.deviantart.com/
    If you can't find them for some reason beyond that page. http://yig.deviantart.com/gallery/
    WOW screenshot and concept art gallery http://smg.photobucket.com/user/evilknick/library/WoW

Deleted
    I have yet to see a dungeon that isn't a faceroll? The only real challenge now days is the challenge mod. Otherwise all dungeons is still pretty much faceroll. Don't see any boss that requires any "special" attention. It is still just mouseclicking. Especially that last boss in the shado pan temple. So not sure where you thought the bosses for normal 5 man dungeons have changed a lot since Vanilla.
    I'm just curious here, but to whom are you aiming the last (underlined) sentence? He never said anything you could even implicitly read as "normal dungeons today are challenging", which is what you're building your entire response on. He's literally made two claims in the entire thread up to your reply, those being: "I am happy they patched out the 5-man zerg raiding" and "The dungeons in vanilla were only challenging due to a lack of skill from players".

If the question is aimed at him, why would you feel a need to twist his claims into a strawman? Completely unnecessary.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    1 wrong pull or fear/bodypull and u wiped, even with 10 man in strathholme

2 Grps of the elite packs next to the room of The Beast and wipe, also there was a reason for 1 hunter kiting the guards from General Drakkisath in 15man UBRS

yes it was fun

10+ Year Old Account
    Amazing how the truth gets twisted when time passes by...
    There was no such thing as a Deadmines raid, Scarlet Monastery, Scholomance, Stratholme, LBRS, or BRD raid. That did not exist as such, at no point in time.
    The only thing that DID exist was that there was no gating block. You could form a raid and enter any 5 man dungeon in the game with it.
    I honestly don't know if that has been fixed nowadays, or if you could still do it. I haven't tried.
    As for the difficulty.... I call BS on that as well. They weren't that much more difficult. They just required more patience and discipline from a 5 man group.
    Discipline because it was impossible to zerg, with the games mechanics in place. And almost all of them required a time commitment that was in raid range.
    4 - 5 hours for BRD, not an exception. Deadmines.. Well there, you spent a good half hour to fight your way to the instance portal. Similar for Black Fathom Deeps, Mara, same thing.. There was a large portion of mobs to be killed before you've been rewarded with the actual instance entrance.
    In short, any raid on 5 man dungeons was just trivializing the content for fun. Much like walking alone in any of these dungeons now with a level 80+

Quote Originally Posted by glowpipe View Post
    Thats because stratholm _was_ a 15 man dungeon. It was tuned for 15 players. Then changed to 10. Then to 5
    Actually it was 40, because of naxx. That's how i remembered it atleast. everyone to last boss then trought the gate.

I remember deadmines raids too.

I was a total noob, when I first heard of this thing called "raid" I had to search what a raid was.

God this topic was just a magnet for pretending you played during early vanilla.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aciaedius View Post
    I'm just curious here, but to whom are you aiming the last (underlined) sentence? He never said anything you could even implicitly read as "normal dungeons today are challenging", which is what you're building your entire response on. He's literally made two claims in the entire thread up to your reply, those being: "I am happy they patched out the 5-man zerg raiding" and "The dungeons in vanilla were only challenging due to a lack of skill from players".

If the question is aimed at him, why would you feel a need to twist his claims into a strawman? Completely unnecessary.
    He said that people who played Vanilla was mouse clicking noobs and needed that many people to do instances among other things. I simply stated that vanilla was less Faceroll in comparison to the expansions we see today on WoW in form of dungeon content. I responded to his words, " Faceroll, mouseclicking noobs, dungeons", where he hinted that Vanilla content was faceroll material etc. I was wondering what he compared the Vanilla dungeons with? If he compared them with today, I do not see any difference.

The mechanics, sure some are new and some are old. But they aren't really any difficulty that requires attention. Healer can usually heal over any damage given from bosses in instances such as Normal/heroic Jade serpent temple. And the whole Underlined sentence and that paragraph was in response to him seeing he was the one I quoted from above. And it was not a question it was a statement. I do not see much change in the bosses in comparison to Vanilla. And for being a such old games it is given that it is hard to introduce new functions into fights. Since you got design/code frames to stick within.

And those posts you quoted wasn't posted by that person. He wrote following, " I am happy they patched it to 5 man, what an error" and something else. Since there wasn't a lack of skill from players back then, it was lack of knowledge. Do remember that the internet was young and the amount of tutorials and such wasn't around back then. You relied on helping each other out.

So, not sure where you understood that I was twisting his claims? I simply told him that much has changed, I responded directly and also derailed to a small extent.

Lol, I remember doing just that in a way. This was back in TBC. A large portion of our guild (I can't remember how many) grouped up in a raid, took off all our armor, and ran through VC(yeah remember that name for Deadmines?) for shits and giggles. Raised our unarmed skills up by quite a bit too. I know my guild master recorded it, but I don't know if it ever got posted on youtube or anything. So yes, back then, it was possible, and quite amusing.