Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gemming for PvP as a healer.

So..to be frank here. I don't PvP....ever, I tend to ignore this cancer on WoW.

But this seasons PvP gear for my class (Druid) I really like alot and would like to use it as a mog set for PvE. I only plan to do mediorce arenas for points, Not go to 2800 and above.

But I am curious how to gem for PvP...I see alot of druids as well as healers in general just go straight PvP Resilience in every socket, Regardless of the socket bonus. Is that all I need to do? Just Resil as a healer? No other stat?
    Last edited by Elysara; 2013-03-17 at 05:21 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Depends kinda on your gear I think. Resil will scale a lot better at lower ilvls than at higher due to the recent patch. So if your ilvl is like around the 450 to 480~ I'd say, go full out on resil gems I think. I'm not 100% sure though as I generally only play DPS in PvP, who gem according to socket bonuses.

10+ Year Old Account
    go full resil

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Illiterate View Post
    go full resil
    This, PvP power is halved for healers and you want to survive for as long as possible.

my resto druid has 67% resil gemmed with socket bonuses. feels comfortable in 3s. notice - iam a JC. so dont forget to learn new pvp gem recipes if you are happen to be JC too!

Quote Originally Posted by Deleth View Post
    This, PvP power is halved for healers and you want to survive for as long as possible.
    Really? Huh, So go full Resil then. Okay then, Rather easy gemming

Go full resil. As a rdruid, your regen is good enough, and you can mitigate most offensive cds from enemies by being smart with defensive cds and clones.

As everyone else has said: Full Resi. You should put int/resi in chest and helm and spirit/resi in boots though, as they have resilience socket bonuses.

I go 320 res in yellow, int/res in red and spirit/res in blue pretty much always.

Stat priorities if you want to know those, are generally int > spirit > mastery > haste > crit. I generally reforge my lowest priority stat into spirit if the item doesn't have spirit, if it does have spirit then I reforge lowest priority into mastery.

Hope this helps.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by moistau View Post
    I go 320 res in yellow, int/res in red and spirit/res in blue pretty much always.

Stat priorities if you want to know those, are generally int > spirit > mastery > haste > crit. I generally reforge my lowest priority stat into spirit if the item doesn't have spirit, if it does have spirit then I reforge lowest priority into mastery.

Hope this helps.
    This is what I generally go by.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by Terahertz View Post
    Depends kinda on your gear I think. Resil will scale a lot better at lower ilvls than at higher due to the recent patch.
    This is actually completely wrong. They changed resilience so it scales linearly now (was exponentially in 5.1). So no matter if you have 0 or 10000 resilience, every additional resilience gives you the same effective improvement in damage reduction (of course you don't get the same change in damage reduction %, but that is how %-based damage reduction works).

edit: Or maybe you mean something different, don't know what you exactly mean with "at lower ilvls". Anyways full resilience gemming is fine with resto druid (it's fine with about every spec other than mistweaver).
    Last edited by Pipostylor; 2013-03-18 at 11:24 AM.

Deleted

Hope this helps.
    It really depends on what the bonus is, since pvp defense is the strongest stat for healers by a large marging. But if you can get 80 int by only giving up like 20 resilience than it is mostly worth it. Otherwise you'll end up several % below other healers and your survivability takes a huge hit.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    Anyways full resilience gemming is fine with resto druid (it's fine with about every spec other than mistweaver).
    Could you please elaborate on this as I'm a relatively new Mistweaver. Appreciate it.
    Last edited by postalp; 2013-03-18 at 04:39 PM.

Hope this helps.
    So...out of curiosity are you saying Intellect is better than PvP Power? Just wondering as I have a holy paladin I play in pvp once in awhile when with others, otherwise I just play around with Ret.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucetia View Post
    So...out of curiosity are you saying Intellect is better than PvP Power? Just wondering as I have a holy paladin I play in pvp once in awhile when with others, otherwise I just play around with Ret.
    Healers only get half effectiveness on pvp power, so intellect is better. You generally shouldn't have to choose though, since int/power are different gem colours and healers prioritize resil.

Quote Originally Posted by asb View Post
    Healers only get half effectiveness on pvp power, so intellect is better. You generally shouldn't have to choose though, since int/power are different gem colours and healers prioritize resil.
    Alright, thanks. I should've opened my JC book to even see what color PvP Power was as I forgot it was a blue and not red. >>

Quote Originally Posted by postalp View Post
    Could you please elaborate on this as I'm a relatively new Mistweaver. Appreciate it.
    Mistweavers have ridicolous survivability. You are 2,5sec dmg immune after a stun, you have chi torpedo for healing while silenced and kiting melees, you have fortifying brew (mix between last stand and shield wall), you have diffuse magic (90% shield wall vs casters on low cd), zen meditation (situationally useful), you can port away and you have the most overpowered self heal with healing spheres. So you can go full out spirit/int/crit. Of course, if you still die sometimes, because your gear is bad or you don't know how to play yet, you can still gem resilience though.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipostylor View Post
    Mistweavers have ridicolous survivability. You are 2,5sec dmg immune after a stun, you have chi torpedo for healing while silenced and kiting melees, you have fortifying brew (mix between last stand and shield wall), you have diffuse magic (90% shield wall vs casters on low cd), zen meditation (situationally useful), you can port away and you have the most overpowered self heal with healing spheres. So you can go full out spirit/int/crit. Of course, if you still die sometimes, because your gear is bad or you don't know how to play yet, you can still gem resilience though.
    I agree, our survivability is very strong. I usually gem some int and some res, mix and match it, I don't believe one stat is key, a balance between them is the best. Though I do not gem pvp power, some of our heals are generated by damage, and since we get no increased damage with having pvp power it is lack luster.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

If you don't mind the time, you can wait until next season (conquest gear will be purchasible with honor), and just justice->honor without single PVPing.

If the color you want is T2, too bad you have to pvp

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I agree, our survivability is very strong. I usually gem some int and some res, mix and match it, I don't believe one stat is key, a balance between them is the best. Though I do not gem pvp power, some of our heals are generated by damage, and since we get no increased damage with having pvp power it is lack luster.
    I don't know about this patch but last season mw had mana issues so a lot gemmed spirit

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieChicken View Post
    If you don't mind the time, you can wait until next season (conquest gear will be purchasible with honor), and just justice->honor without single PVPing.

If the color you want is T2, too bad you have to pvp
    knowing blizz they will fuck up and make honor gear 20 ilvls lower again