10+ Year Old Account

LF work laptop and few desktop upgrades

what i would like help on is in GREEN.

The Sticky Info: For Laptop

• Budget: ~$700 USD
    • Resolution: no pref
    • Games / Settings Desired: no pref. see next bullet pt.
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): for work! so would like to run multiple programs such as PowerTeacher, Genesis (another gradebook), Photoshop CS6, Coral Painter 10, ArtDesk, and video editing (havent chosen software yet)
    • Parts that can be reused: n/a
    • Do you need an OS? pref windows. maybe even 7 instead of 8. i really dislike 8, but whatevs.
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? nopes! got my bamboo create tablet

what im asking for in this setup: I want a laptop around 15" (reg) that i can take with me to work to do more than basic stuff. Im a middle school art teacher, but find myself struggling on the schools dell pc's they give us in our rooms. emails, ppt's, word, grading. but as an art teacher, i really need to use the programs mentioned above for myself and the students. oh and if best buy is an option for retail, i have a friend that gets me discounts if u find any laptops there

Ideal Situation: can have gradebook program open, music player, PS CS6 w/500+layers active, email, and possibly video editor. all open with no issues. and then not too chunky so i can bring this and my wacom tablet anywhere.

k for my other pc...
    my build post on the massive "Post your Gaming Setup" thread:
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post20544646

The Sticky Info: For Home use

• Budget: depends on items through time. this continuing build will be a yr process.
    • Resolution: fine atm. might want to dual monitor later due to higher activity, more screen space
    • Games / Settings Desired: im fine with my 660ti
    • Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc) all of the stuff mentioned for the work laptop above, but including all things gaming (WoW/Steam/Etc.)
    • Country US
    • Parts that can be reused see above link to see what ive done so far.
    • Do you need an OS? nope. have win7 x64 which im fine with
    • Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? all set. even though i really hate my naga epic. so many issues, lol

what im asking for in this setup: I basically have the jist of what i wanna do. but posting this 2nd setup just in case ppl have suggestions. i want to eventually upgrade my mobo, cpu (cuz my current is LGA 1156), heatsink, RAM. and most likely will have to be all at the same time, lol. when looking for a mobo, i DO NEED however, front USB3.0 connector, PCIex1 (for the sound blaster card), and i def might overclock cpu so was thinking of a single 120m watercooling for cpu to rear fan. Was looking at CM seidon 120 or Corsair H80i... RAM, i'll just go with 2x8G... i think i'll be fine with that. oh and for my ideal situation, i probably need a 2nd monitor. currently have the Acer 23" H233H.

Ideal Situation: WoW on one screen. music player, PS CS6 w/lots of layers active, browser, gradebook, etc. and occasionally, i video edit tutorials for art so would like video editing speed to be a bit faster than what it currently is if possible. so maybe suggest a better video editing software? its iphone video clips i edit; traditional art. NOT onscreen Photoshop tutorials or gaming videos.

thanks for the help and reading all the way through

Deleted
    for the laptop do you prefer any resolution?
    or would this be enough? (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16834230598)

as for the desktop it might actually be worthwhile to wait for haswell to be released since you are doing a full overhaul anyway. (a +- $400 budget will get you pretty far depending if you want an I7/ very high end mobo/cpu cooler)

10+ Year Old Account
    For the desktop, CPU/Mobo/Ram is all you really need, i5 3570k, cost effective 1155 socket mobo, and a 16gb ram kit.

For the laptop, no idea really at $700. At $1000 I'd recommend Microsoft's Surface Pro, Wacom Stylus, 1080p ips 11.6 screen, they are still working on full stylus support in apps, but it's looking like a great artist tool, a Cintiq and Laptop in one.

And since you are in Education you should be able to get Adobe's Creative Cloud membership for $20 a month, and that includes the latest version Photoshop, Illustrator, Premiere, After Effects, and so on.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

10+ Year Old Account
    i like that laptop. especially with the VGA since i plug into the projector a lot when doing presentations, overhead projector, and smartboard stuff. im gonna try real hard not to install WoW on it. never would get work done

i thought about a windows surface instead of a laptop, but wasnt sure how well it would do with all the programs running and not overheating. i liked the usb ports on it too for external drives.

and yes. i love my art educators discounts! theyre fantastic!

im looking for the laptop maybe in the next ~2 weeks if not sooner. and for my desktop, its going to be a long project. no rush