Help out with GPU upgrade

Hi,

I'm proposed to a deal with a graphic card called a "Radeon HD 6950 2gb". I'm thinking about buying it and I was just wondering:

1) Can this card run WoW on Ultra?
    2) How many more years do you think it can run WoW on Ultra/How many expansion after MoP IF it can?

Thanks in advance for any helpful answer!

Deleted
    needs more details on what other parts you pc consists of.
    but that card should be able to handle that if you got the right cpu to back it up with. (however i wouldn't expect 60fps in 25man raid combat)

Quote Originally Posted by shroudster View Post
    needs more details on what other parts you pc consists of.
    but that card should be able to handle that if you got the right cpu to back it up with. (however i wouldn't expect 60fps in 25man raid combat)
    My CPU is something call a "G860".

...Well, if the graphic card isn't going to be able to run 25 man raid smoothly then I will have to pass on it. I'm on a GPU now, whatever it's called, that run the game kind of ugly with lots of fog on... and lags alot in busy environment... like 25 man raid with alot of stuff on effect on... and especially in some BIG BG where ppl are together and doing massive AOE.

...if a Radeon 6950 won't run 25 man raid and big BG AoE smoothly then I'm going to pass it up. I want to avoid the debacle of ugliness I have NOW. It is frustrating. Thx for the info!
    Last edited by LairenyX; 2013-03-18 at 04:40 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    they will probably announce something about the gtx 700 series during the gpu technology conference AMD and nvidia along with some other companies are going to be there during the 18th to the 21st. So we will likely see something soon regarding them heres the link http://www.gputechconf.com/page/attendee-list.html So i'd wait until after those dates then see about getting one

10+ Year Old Account
    You do know that your eyes only register around 30-40 fps right. Anything over that is just for stat sheets

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    they will probably announce something about the gtx 700 series during the gpu technology conference AMD and nvidia along with some other companies are going to be there during the 18th to the 21st. So we will likely see something soon regarding them heres the link http://www.gputechconf.com/page/attendee-list.html So i'd wait until after those dates then see about getting one
    Okay thank you. I just want a graphic card that can run the game smoothly in 25 man raid and BIG BG... and also render the game where I can see large distant. The GPU right now run the game on low graphic, I cant see far in the environment... and everytime raid happen it lags during big moment.

If these 700 can avoid all of this... I'll give it a try.

---------- Post added 2013-03-18 at 04:42 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie View Post
    You do know that your eyes only register around 30-40 fps right. Anything over that is just for stat sheets

IDK this kind of talk too much but... I just want a GPU that can run the game smoothly on Ultra, like what I see at my friend's house. His computer is so much better than mine at running WoW.

10+ Year Old Account
    I run a 6950 2gb in my rig with a stock i5. 2500k an i run on ultra (shadows are on high) in 1920x1080 an I find that only 40 man world boss groups hurt my picture.

An how much can you get it for? The new gtx 700 line is probably going to start around $500+.
    Last edited by Scrotie; 2013-03-18 at 04:48 AM.

I run a 6950 2gb in my rig with a stock i5. 2500k an i run on ultra (shadows are on high) in 1920x1080 an I find that only 40 man world boss groups hurt my picture.
    yeah... more confirmation that this graphic card is bad. Post number 2 said this GPU won't run 25 man smoothly... and now you say that it won't run 40 man environment world boss smoothly.

I want like the kind of graphic card my friend have... or anything the ppl on youtube/review video run when they do massive raid and it all still looks beautiful and SMOOTH.. with lots of ppl...

I always watch these video on youtube on 1080p... and always dream of running the game as smooth and beautiful as them. I'll have to ask around to see what GPU run the game like my friend and these ppl.

Actually lol... can you guys tell me what GPU I should get that run these ame on Ultra in 25 man, big bg AOE, 40 man raid... and take away all the fogs so I can see FAR awawy? thx!
    Last edited by LairenyX; 2013-03-18 at 04:53 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Get a gtx 670 if you want flawless gaming. Your CPU plays a big roll in the performance as well tho.

Not entirely true. Having FPS over 40 can protect you from noticing framerate dips, when they drop 20fps in a pinch.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LairenyX View Post
    yeah... more confirmation that this graphic card is bad. Post number 2 said this GPU won't run 25 man smoothly... and now you say that it won't run 40 man environment world boss smoothly.

I want like the kind of graphic card my friend have... or anything the ppl on youtube/review video run when they do massive raid and it all still looks beautiful and SMOOTH.. with lots of ppl...

I always watch these video on youtube on 1080p... and always dream of running the game as smooth and beautiful as them. I'll have to ask around to see what GPU run the game like my friend and these ppl.

Actually lol... can you guys tell me what GPU I should get that run these ame on Ultra in 25 man, big bg AOE, 40 man raid... and take away all the fogs so I can see FAR awawy? thx!
    those are achievable with a 660Ti/7870 XT or higher end gpu's , however as most people stated here already wow is just cpu bound. even with a current gen cpu you'd still need an overclock to hit the smooth 60fps zone for full ultra maxed out.
    as for seeing others with on youtube with better quality it is likely not even full ultra. (lots of people claim full ultra but it still turn down some settings, looking at you shadows!)
    also what is the current gpu that you run with? (the "taking away the fog" might also be a case of tuning the advanced graphic settings)
    quite curious what kind of hardware your friend would be running and at which settings because 99/100 times we hear that around here something isn't 100% about those claims

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Playing with dx11, 1920x1080, windowed mode, ssao+shadows+sun+liquids off and rest ultra i run 25man raids 30-60fps (vsync enabled) always.

specs: i7 2600k @3.8ghz & 6950 2GB

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    i7 is overkill for gaming atm i5 3570k is the best gaming one out there atm because of its over clocking ability. and graphics card would have to be 670 im getting the same thing and its going to run great on skyrim.

Quote Originally Posted by ebah View Post
    Playing with dx11, 1920x1080, windowed mode, ssao+shadows+sun+liquids off and rest ultra i run 25man raids 30-60fps (vsync enabled) always.

specs: i7 2600k @3.8ghz & 6950 2GB
    is 30-60 FPS smooth??? do you see chopp? this is what I want to avoid!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LairenyX View Post
    is 30-60 FPS smooth??? do you see chopp? this is what I want to avoid!
    Considering that 30 fps is above current cinema or TV framerates, it should be more than fine really.... unless you think TV and movies are choppy too....

30 fps is not smooth, i find 50+ is ok for me personally. TV has a constant 30 fps with motion blurring between frames, that is why you don't see choppiness.

I tend to go for 60-70 fps because then I know the lows are in the 40 fps range.