Page 1 of 2
LastLast

What's the point of buying Dual Talent specialization

... as opposed to just getting it automatically.

I was thinking about this when someone got the achievement tother day.
    "GZ! you spent 10 gold! You should try and work towards the Come one Come All achievement next!"

Seriously though, you at least had to invest 1000 gold in it. Now that all of your skills are learnt automatically it seems pointless not just giving it to people surely?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Likely, it'll be free by next xpac. Probably just something that flew under the radar. At one point, I could understand the costs to it, but the way the game has changed over time, I can't see it staying that way too much longer (relatively speaking)

Quote Originally Posted by Sialanne View Post
    Likely, it'll be free by next xpac. Probably just something that flew under the radar. At one point, I could understand the costs to it, but the way the game has changed over time, I can't see it staying that way too much longer (relatively speaking)
    You mean when it cost 1k gold instead of just 10? Yeah, things have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post

Seriously though, you at least had to invest 1000 gold in it. Now that all of your skills are learnt automatically it seems pointless not just giving it to people surely?
    It was originally a gold sink, but Blizzard has moved on to other things to fill that role as dual talent has turned into nearly mandatory. You are probably right that at this point you should just get it for free. In fact, GC even tweeted once that he wasn't sure if limiting people to dual talents even made sense anymore, so don't be shocked if we end up able to go to any spec whenever we want sometime in the future.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    ... as opposed to just getting it automatically.

I was thinking about this when someone got the achievement tother day.
    "GZ! you spent 10 gold! You should try and work towards the Come one Come All achievement next!"

Is this a troll? It's there, it's 10g...move on....

Quote Originally Posted by notorious98 View Post
    You mean when it cost 1k gold instead of just 10? Yeah, things have changed.
    Yeah, I'm referring to how expensive it used to be. At the time, dual spec was a luxury, and very few people had developed off-specs. Since it wasn't something that a ton of people were going to use with any amount of regularity, the cost was pretty justified. Since then, the mindset of the players, and the direction of the game, has changed (to a degree), so the high cost seems pointless, and with it being what it is now, any cost at all seems pointless.

Then again, I could just as easily say the same thing for profession training in this day and age, and I HIGHLY doubt the costs for that are going away any time soon (although the justification is much shakier for professions, when you consider they make money). So I suppose maybe they won't make it free, since it is still technically a luxury. We still pay for riding these days, and that was similarly expensive (for the time).

I remember when you only had one spec ...and you had to pay to switch specs like 50 gold or something and back then that was like 500 gold now ...so it sucked if you wanted to pvp then pve the same day

Quote Originally Posted by Elite Peon View Post
    I remember when you only had one spec ...and you had to pay to switch specs like 50 gold or something and back then that was like 500 gold now ...so it sucked if you wanted to pvp then pve the same day
    yea i remember having 2 warlocks in tbc so i could switch from pve to pvp

...so it sucked if you wanted to pvp then pve the same day
    Hell, I remember how even with dual spec and I raided 4 nights a week I had a PvE and two PvP specs I had to switch between when it first came out. ...and I still miss hybrid specs. Masochism. (Nah, not really. Money didn't mean shit)

I believe, with the new system apparently being so easy, that buying dual talent specialization is something not even worth bothering the player for 10g over. Even then, you can't really complain about 10g anyway since beginning of BC. They'll probably get to it.
    It wasn't long ago / I was just like you / And now I think I'm sick and I wanna go home!
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginal View Post
    what if SEARING WOLVES? The possibilities?!!?

prices change.. times change.. it makes more sense to have dual spec cheap so people can be encouraged to tank and heal and whatnot.. same with northrend flying.. used to be 1000g for cold weather flying.. then 750g.. then 500g.. now its like 250g or something cheaper.. it used to suck so much not being able to fly in northrend... things are better now

as for dual spec.. id say just make dual spec cost like 1 silver.. or add in triple spec. its the same thing really between 10g and 1g.

Dual spec could be a great gold sink, which is something this game needs. However it is not a luxury any more, it's mandatory and it makes sense they reduced the price. 10g nowadays is nothing, you should get it automatically.

Deleted
    yeah it was bad, especially if you were that boomkin that had to heal certain 25 man fights. atleast leveling alts was '' faster '' those days

Do you even have to go to a class trainer to change specs anymore? I pretty much only use 2 on any character and have dual specialization on all of them and you dont have to do anything but buy reagents from a mount vendor to change all the talents in the same spec. Theres no reason to respec unless you play all 3(or 4 for druids) specs of a class.

Also you can change pet specs on the fly by selecting the spec and clicking "learn."

Also they could make it free but really 10 gold isnt anything so it doesnt matter.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    Do you even have to go to a class trainer to change specs anymore? I pretty much only use 2 on any character and have dual specialization on all of them and you dont have to do anything but buy reagents from a mount vendor to change all the talents in the same spec. Theres no reason to respec unless you play all 3(or 4 for druids) specs of a class.

Also you can change pet specs on the fly by selecting the spec and clicking "learn."

Also they could make it free but really 10 gold isnt anything so it doesnt matter.
    Yeah, you do in order to change your actual spec (i.e. prot to holy) but not to change your talents. Honestly, they should just let you freely change your specs whenever and wherever with the way they've changed the talent "trees".

10+ Year Old Account
    I thought about Dual Spec. Paid for it and even tried to get the swing of DPS. I just unlearned my 2nd spec and am now Prot only. On my Druid, I pretty much live in Feral, even though I am specc'd for Guardian too. DS is just an easy way for people who heal or tank to have fast access to a DPS spec. Honestly, my pally does some great DPS as prot, so it hardly seems worth it. Most likely, it will be a "Free Learn" at lvl 30 by next expac. It is no longer a gold sink unless you count all the people who can't make up their minds and keep unlearning and relearning specs

Quote Originally Posted by Superman-BladesEdge View Post
    I thought about Dual Spec. Paid for it and even tried to get the swing of DPS. I just unlearned my 2nd spec and am now Prot only. On my Druid, I pretty much live in Feral, even though I am specc'd for Guardian too. DS is just an easy way for people who heal or tank to have fast access to a DPS spec. Honestly, my pally does some great DPS as prot, so it hardly seems worth it. Most likely, it will be a "Free Learn" at lvl 30 by next expac. It is no longer a gold sink unless you count all the people who can't make up their minds and keep unlearning and relearning specs
    There was a much higher demand for Dual Spec before Blizzard bastardized the talent system. Hell, we would have loved to have 4 or 5 different specs. Now there's no point to it.

10+ Year Old Account
    so that you can bitch about how back in your day, it costed a thousand gold, you bought it for every character you had that day, and you were never reimbursed for the price change

I think it's similar to why blizzard makes you buy the grand commendations for double rep gains. They want you to be consciously aware that you're doing it, rather than it going off automatically and players potentially not noticing it, especially new players.

10+ Year Old Account
    Tbh I preferred the wotlk cost of dual talent specialization (or at least when it just came out). Even though I didn't have it back then, it did give me an incentive to make more gold.

I'm hoping blizzard will someday finally add a tri talent specialization, but with the third talent spec costing like 2k gold or so.

A tri talent spec isn't AS mandatory, but more of a luxury now. I mean, there has to be more gold sinks in the game. Sure, we have BMAH, but thats more of a gold sink for the EXTREMELY rich people, who won't even notice when they spend 999k gold >.>

Quote Originally Posted by Gandrake View Post
    so that you can bitch about how back in your day, it costed a thousand gold, you bought it for every character you had that day, and you were never reimbursed for the price change
    Not really because I never cared. I paid the 1k gold needed for each toon and was mildly, and pleasantly, surprised when I saw it dropped to 10g during Cata. I would have preferred they kept it at 1k gold though just from the gold sink perspective.