Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account

Classes that could use a 4th spec?

I am just curious as to what classes you all think could use a 4th spec. Just FYI I don't think all the classes need a new spec just some. (Warrior for example) I have a couple ideas of my own.

Shaman - I think most people have thrown around the idea of a shaman tanking class. Perhaps something that uses agi mail gear? Maybe it's related to Enhancement some how?

Monk- Even though it's a new class I was surprised to see that it didn't get a Ranged dps spec. I think they could really make it work with jade lightning, fire bloom, fire breath etc.

Mage - I always wanted to see a mage tanking class that uses int gear. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch but still I think it's a creative idea.
    You make me smile with my heart.

well if we're just throwing out any idea at all, then i'd say a hunter spec without a pet. i know that's been discussed before and it sounds kinda interesting.

10+ Year Old Account
    My opinion:

Saying that a shaman should be able to tank is like saying a warrior should be able to use ranged weapons and be like a hunter without a pet

Mages tanking, why not warlocks tanking? With some better threat genererators and a bit more survivability they would so great. But then again, how would that specc do in arena? Oyeah, it's going to destroy everything

Making a class get 4 speccs where all 4 speccs root in all different aspects just makes some classes too preferable over others. Who would roll a warrior if you could just as well tank with a shaman where you can OS both healing AND ranged dps , which you cannot with a warrior?

I'm very negative here, I know, but that's because I just woke up and it's around 5 million minus degrees in my room. God damn Norway, why are you so cold....

PS: I like your initiative, always cool to talk about these things!
    Why have a signature? What I just posted states how retarded I am anyways.

hunter--gunslinger spec, petless, dual wield pistols.

edit: Nolliepop beat me...I also like the idea of a ranged monk spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniwa View Post
    Making a class get 4 speccs where all 4 speccs root in all different aspects just makes some classes too preferable over others. Who would roll a warrior if you could just as well tank with a shaman where you can OS both healing AND ranged dps , which you cannot with a warrior?
    Well why isn't everyone playing a druid then? I know druid's are popular, but not to that extent.

15+ Year Old Account
    Saying that a shaman should be able to tank is like saying a warrior should be able to use ranged weapons and be like a hunter without a pet
    How do you figure?

Could use? None really.

Would like to see?
    Tank - Shaman
    Caster DPS - Monk

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 01:48 AM ----------

Mages tanking, why not warlocks tanking? With some better threat genererators and a bit more survivability they would so great. But then again, how would that specc do in arena? Oyeah, it's going to destroy everything
    Just like how Brewmasters destroy everything. Oh wait.

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 01:49 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by nolliepop View Post
    well if we're just throwing out any idea at all, then i'd say a hunter spec without a pet. i know that's been discussed before and it sounds kinda interesting.
    Darkranger! Bring mana back to hunters :P
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Hattai View Post
    How do you figure?
    I guess because Warriors were able to use bows. Just because a class can do something to some extent, does not mean they can truly perform that role.

Quote Originally Posted by Henock View Post
    I am just curious as to what classes you all think could use a 4th spec. Just FYI I don't think all the classes need a new spec just some. (Warrior for example) I have a couple ideas of my own.

Shaman - I think most people have thrown around the idea of a shaman tanking class. Perhaps something that uses agi mail gear? Maybe it's related to Enhancement some how?

Monk- Even though it's a new class I was surprised to see that it didn't get a Ranged dps spec. I think they could really make it work with jade lightning, fire bloom, fire breath etc.

Mage - I always wanted to see a mage tanking class that uses int gear. Maybe it's a bit of a stretch but still I think it's a creative idea.
    Mage tank = Spellbreakers from wc3

---------- Post added 2013-03-19 at 01:59 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nindoriel View Post
    I guess because Warriors were able to use bows. Just because a class can do something to some extent, does not mean they can truly perform that role.
    The only thing preventing a class from performing well in a role is its tool kit. You're right that a warrior today would do way worse at ranged DPS than a Shaman would at tanking, however shamans have always been traditionally kind of off-tanky, from being able to successfully tank bosses in ICC during wrath to being off tanks when shit hit the fan in MC.

By comparison, the only time I can remember a warrior switching to ranged was during Venoxiss when we couldn't handle having melee in there.
    "So my advice is to argue based on the reasons stated, not try to make up or guess at reasons and argue those."
    Greg Street, Riot Developer - 12:50 PM - 25 May 2015

15+ Year Old Account
    Like warlock tanking?

Paladins - Shockadins. I maintain a decently well-stocked a set of gear as I can for my OS Combat-Holy Shockadin, but god-forbid anyone catches you questing like that.

Mage - Tank. Something based strongly on the maintaining of personal shields at a loss of damage output could be fun.

Shaman - Tank. We've seen it done in Youtube videos for WoTLK content, and Shaman Tanks are almost completely reasonable options. (Not paid much attention to Enh shamans since though. )

Rogue - Dodge based tank. I had a Rogue tank a few bosses in Throne of Tides when Cata launched and he was a wonder to heal for, since...he never got hit.

Warlocks - Demonic Shapeshifters. I saw the idea thrown out in a thread eslewhere, and it seemed interesting. A spec with no ability to have a summoned pet, but instead take the form of that pet and shift like a druid.

What is needed: None.

What I would like to see:
    Mage - Battlemage, or something involving mix of melee/spells.
    Rogue - Either a ranged spec or a spec that will let you put on a buckler (not as a tank).
    Priest - Second DPS spec that is not based around DoTs. Probably some Holy direct damage dealing, like Disc but more interesting.
    Hunter - Either duelwielding 1H guns or a petless ranger spec, or both.
    Warrior - Sword and board DPS spec.
    DK - Spell Caster DPS. Make use of all that intellect plate.
    Paladin - Holy Casting DPS. Make more use of all that intellect plate.

Well locks and rogues "need" it the most. I don't see it happening any time soon though.

Priest: A Holy dps spec, that use direct holy attacks as main damage source instead of dots like shadow.

Shaman: A fourth spec that use agility-mail and 1hand/shield to tank. Strength on the shield/tanking weapon should be converted to agility.

Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post

What I would like to see:
    Mage - Battlemage, or something involving mix of melee/spells.
    Rogue - Either a ranged spec or a spec that will let you put on a buckler (not as a tank).
    Priest - Second DPS spec that is not based around DoTs. Probably some Holy direct damage dealing, like Disc but more interesting.
    Hunter - Either duelwielding 1H guns or a petless ranger spec, or both.
    Warrior - Sword and board DPS spec.
    I like these except for perhaps a caster paladin/dk...plate wearing ranged dps sounds retarded OP in pvp.

I'd also like to see a medic class, maybe as a rogue or warrior spec.

Make that Hunter spec a tank spec and you got my vote!

Things likes this comes to mind:

- Ranged treat generating/Ranged tanking.

- Using multiple traps at once and link them. If an enemy cross the line between the two traps he's screwed.
    - Or have a single improved trap

- Ammo with different elements
    - - Fire ammo - sets enemy on fire for X seconds
    - - Ice ammo - Freezes and/or slows a single target in place
    - - Light ammo - Does damage against shadow/undead/demon enemies
    - - Hunters have already shadow ones (Black Arrow)
    - - Hunters have already poison ones (Poison/Venom sting etc..)

- Dual Wielding guns, crossbows and bows. (in case of bows you shoot double arrows instead of single arrows)

- Beast Rider; Instead of a pet assisting you, you can ride one making you a mounted tank. Pet can still do some basic attacks like bite, tail swipe, growl, bash or something.
    Last edited by Z3ROR; 2013-03-19 at 04:32 PM.

My opinion:

I'm very negative here, I know, but that's because I just woke up and it's around 5 million minus degrees in my room. God damn Norway, why are you so cold....

PS: I like your initiative, always cool to talk about these things!
    probebly the same reason people still roll mage/lock/hunter/rogue.

why not all roll a druid. since they do all roles alrdy.
    Last edited by loki504; 2013-03-19 at 07:30 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by dingobongo View Post
    Agreed.

Don't see how can make it more interesting. Fix shadow scaling not with gear and absorb healing OP and holy chakra instead of 4th spec.

Agreed, for the latter reason.

Agreed, but again only for the latter reason.

More plate/int usage would be great. Holy pala is the single most easy class/spec combo to gear up, and gets the quickest wasted to DE.

But all in all it is easy to mention something in a one liner. It a lot harder to think of spells and class mechanics involving that spec.

Yes yes yes. I want to be a classic petless Ranger.

Bow and no pet!