I want a trap shot!

If I remember correctly, this might be wrong and I'm happy to admit it, Hunters used to have something called Frost Shot which let you "shoot" your Freezing Trap into a target to guarantee the freeze would land and you could carry on with life. Why did they remove this? Was it too powerful? Did they start to feel that Hunters weren't thinking about trapping when they could just shoot it off?

I get the trap launcher has helped a whole lot with things and that we can position our traps better now without running about like a tool but what about a glyph that reduced the duration of the trap, like by a second or something, but allowed you to shoot it at your target. I just find that with traps being a huge component to our utility in PvP missing a trap because we lagged a second behind is a bit of a harsh mechanic.

Would you guys like this as a change?
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.
    Because the very hands that held the stars were now sentenced to wear my scars.

Never heard of an ability that let you automatically shoot traps that land on a targeted mob.

Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    If I remember correctly, this might be wrong and I'm happy to admit it, Hunters used to have something called Frost Shot which let you "shoot" your Freezing Trap into a target to guarantee the freeze would land and you could carry on with life. Why did they remove this? Was it too powerful? Did they start to feel that Hunters weren't thinking about trapping when they could just shoot it off?

I get the trap launcher has helped a whole lot with things and that we can position our traps better now without running about like a tool but what about a glyph that reduced the duration of the trap, like by a second or something, but allowed you to shoot it at your target. I just find that with traps being a huge component to our utility in PvP missing a trap because we lagged a second behind is a bit of a harsh mechanic.

Would you guys like this as a change?
    It would be way too powerful in PvP considering how good we are already in many teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Woobels View Post
    It would be way too powerful in PvP considering how good we are already in many teams.
    The glyph that would trigger it could easily be used to lower the total time the trap last for. So either time in trap with chance to miss it or a short trapped period that can be depended on.
    He slipped out of his royal garments, left eternity to enter time, divinity to wrap himself in humanity.
    The sea of glass, for the ocean of separation. He left peace, and for the first time felt pain.

Deleted
    They clearly said many times they wanted to reduce the number of instant-cc and you want them to give us an instant polymorph. Not going to happen, traps are ok as they are as far as design is concerned.

Deleted
    I would hate it, what I like the most about hunters right now is the trap launcher. Being able to drop a trap wherever I want just by moving the mouse, absolutely love it. It's probably the reason I play hunter, trap launcher and rare pets.

Freezing traps are so insanely powerful in PvP that whenever you land a full trap at a good time you're almost guaranteed a kill. If the other team loses the ability to soak traps then Freezing Trap would become the new Ring of Peace.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sounds kind of like Link from the Ocarina of Time with his three different types of arrows.

It does seem a bit too overpowered to have. Would also simplify another aspect of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by spiattalo View Post
    They clearly said many times they wanted to reduce the number of instant-cc and you want them to give us an instant polymorph. Not going to happen, traps are ok as they are as far as design is concerned.
    They also like making people make a choice of what to use and when. The idea wouldn't be you just get more instant CC for free but you are loosing out on the duration of whatever the trap would normally give you. Hell it could even be called Glyph of Trap Launcher. Keep the Focus cost and reduces the duration of the trap but makes it hit a selected target.

Quote Originally Posted by Hezo View Post
    I would hate it, what I like the most about hunters right now is the trap launcher. Being able to drop a trap wherever I want just by moving the mouse, absolutely love it. It's probably the reason I play hunter, trap launcher and rare pets.
    I'm not proposing removing the trap launcher. I love the launcher but would like a choice to make it cast onto a traget for a price like we have right now with glyphs. Keep trap launcher for when you are using static trapped areas like EoTS flag to punt people off the flag and into the void.

I could be wrong, after 8 odd years its bound to happen, but Im sure maybe during a beta or so.. there WAS a frost shot that wasnt anything more then an arrow that placed a trap at the feet of the target. so that you didnt have to lay one on the floor etc. I didn't pay my hunter too much attention back then, but im almost 100% sure they at least tried this out at some point

10+ Year Old Account
    If my memory doesn't fail me, the Frost Shot you mention worked the same as the current trap does while using the Trap Launcher, using a small target on the ground to aim the shot. It was removed in favor of having the Trap Launcher for all traps, as it would be redundant to have both (or overpowered if they didn't share a cooldown).
    Quote Originally Posted by Tya View Post
    As a warlock, allow me to be the first to say that I get tremendous amounts of joy from watching fear pathing take you to Africa.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drayarr View Post
    Twinking is like going back to school when you are 30, just to be smarter than the other kids.

Deleted
    This just crossed my mind: is it just me or what OP wants is just Wyvern Sting with different graphics?

This just crossed my mind: is it just me or what OP wants is just Wyvern Sting with different graphics?
    More of a change to Trap Launcher being targetable on a player and auto-triggering uppon collision.

Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account
    Frost shot was exactly like trap launcher is now, it launched a frost trap that landed where we put it, no instant freeze or anything. The only reason we ever had frost shot was because they took out trap launcher at the last minute but still wanted us to not have to distracting shot + trap like we did before, so until they could get trap launcher working they gave us frost arrow. It was never an instant freeze like I said, it was a trap launcher that only launched frost traps.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by AutomaticBadger View Post
    More of a change to Trap Launcher being targetable on a player and auto-triggering uppon collision.
    Exactly how Wyvern Sting works.

not graphics, he just doesn't want to have it on a longer cd AND not being able to take silence shot.

not that i dislike his idea, but it would be straight op and i think it's the wrong way to balance it with shorter duration making it basically a second wyvern sting, thus redundant.

my suggestion would be to have a minor glyph changing trap launcher into aimed trap launcher and being a targetted cast WITH A 2 SEC haste effected CAST TIME (canceling while moving, not sure if silence/kick should be applicable to counter it, not sure if all traps or just a few selected), but full duration, basically making it a kind of polymorph.

this would look something like that:

Minor glyph of aimed trapping
    "Your traps are now thrown directly at your target. The process of aiming requires you to stand still for 2 seconds."