Computer Case HAF-X Question

Hey guys I recently ordered a new PC case for my new build this year. I am moving up to a Cooler Master HAF-X from a Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced.

I am currently using 6 drive slots:

1: Blu Ray Writer
    2: DVD RW 24x Drive
    3/4: NZXT Fan Controller. (Takes 2 slots)
    5: Internal 75 in 1 Card Reader 75 in 1 USB 2.0 Card Reader.

I noticed the HAF-X has 4 normal bays on the front of the case, and 2 HOT-SWAP bays for quickly removing and adding hard drives. I am not really interested in hot swapping any drives, and would like to know if it's possible to just use these 2 extra bays as regular bays as the ones above.

With 5 current bay items, I would not like to have to sacrifice anything moving to a 'bigger' case. You would think there would be more expansion slots, no?

They act like normal SATA bays if you just ignore the hot swap feature.

So it's possible to use these bays as just normal bays for a DVD or a fan controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    So it's possible to use these bays as just normal bays for a DVD or a fan controller?
    Yep, they just install a little differently I think. I've never used mine and I can't check but i'm pretty sure.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2013-03-19 at 02:08 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moddy View Post
    No they are actually slightly smaller at leasT on my HAF xm they are
    Last edited by akro; 2013-03-19 at 02:08 PM.

Is it possible to dissemble the hot swap back plating and just use the drives as normal? I really need the extra slots, and can't figure out why with a HAF-X (A larger case from the 932) I have to cut down on my bays.

Deleted
    Considering you already ordered it, and there's "no way back" ( ).

Why not try for yourself? If you can't get the hot-swap bracket out, you can always get a usb-powered MMC reader to remedy the situation and still use the case you prefer.

In the mean time, perhaps someone with a Haf X is nice enough to open up the case and check it out for you.

Cooler Master really has served me well for the past 4 years. I just decided to go with the larger model this year, and it's widely popular and will more than likely fit all my needs for the future if I take care of it.

The USB powered MMC reader is intriguing, I wonder if I could just plug that into the hot swap bay. I am not really sure to behonest. I don't suppose since the bays are shorter you can actually fit 2 optical drives in the hot swaps successfully and use them as normal bays. I can't really find any information out there on google about the versatility of the hot swap bays.

I just got my HAF X today, and just looking at it, it looks like you can detach the hot swap plate. There are two screws each on either side, just unscrew them and it should come off. Though you will need screws to secure whatever you put in those two bays, instead of the locking mechanism the top 4 bays use.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a 2 year HAF X owner myself...

No, don't bother. Going to a HAF X from a HAF 932 Advanced is really not even an upgrade, more of a side grade, maybe even downgrade in some cases. From a motherboard tray that doesn't have a properly large enough cutout for the back of the motherboard to access the CPU back-plate, to not truly supporting USB 3.0, the HAF X is a downright waste in the first place and I regret ever buying it. You live and learn. There are some benefits to it, but just about every other super-tower chassis has those benefits - and more. Buying a HAF X when you already have the HAF 932 Advanced is, I'm sorry, a waste of money.

As for your questions about the bays and everything though... why not use the hot-swap bays? They are lovely and super secure, I don't really use the whole "hot-swapping" business, but it is cool to be able to just pull them out so easily and switch drives if I need to without ever opening the case up. You are going to have to do what MasterNewbie mentioned though, as Cooler Master doesn't really like to think ahead and doesn't prepare these drive-bays for any normal use like the above 4.

I could go on, but I might say something infract-worthy, so I will hold my tongue from writing anything more. If you ask me though, I would just return the case - don't even open it. I doubt they can deny you a full refund if you don't even open it, that would be bad business.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    to not truly supporting USB 3.0
    While I agree on you with most everything (Haf X owner and despise it also) the newer models are including true USB 3.0 support on the front I/O.

As mentioned above, you can remove the hotswap interface and use those bays, but you won't have the advantage of them being toolless. I'm guessing your Fan controller isn't full depth. If that's the case then you should put that in the hot swap bays.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by googz View Post
    While I agree on you with most everything (Haf X owner and despise it also) the newer models are including true USB 3.0 support on the front I/O.

As mentioned above, you can remove the hotswap interface and use those bays, but you won't have the advantage of them being toolless. I'm guessing your Fan controller isn't full depth. If that's the case then you should put that in the hot swap bays.
    Oh, good to hear. Question is, does the cutout section in the motherboard tray properly support LGA 1155 yet? I mean, 1155 is only 2 years old and about to be phased out by 1150 and all. lol... =/

He could do that with his fan controller, though it might look a little rough and be a pain in the ass to work with.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    Oh, good to hear. Question is, does the cutout section in the motherboard tray properly support LGA 1155 yet? I mean, 1155 is only 2 years old and about to be phased out by 1150 and all. lol... =/
    Nah, It's still covering the entire left half of the backplate. The USB 3.0 fix was easy, but to fix the cut out they'd have to redesign the plate stamp.