Protection Warrior and Council of Elders/Tortos

Does anyone have helpful tips and tricks for protection warrior in ToT?

Please feel free to share!

My warrior offtank is having a hella of time keeping up with the mitigation and he was eating so much damages from Frost King on Council of Elders. So I am trying to look for ways to help him out since he was so down and frustrated with himself about it. He usually tank this with my Brewmaster Monk ( I also do have a difficult time with this boss, but this is not a correct sub forum regardless.)

Do you guys tank this encounter in a certain way and how do you handle the bosses? Is there any specific talents/glyphs that he should take for this?

Deleted
    My guild uses the same make up with me tanking both frost king and mar'li, it doesnt seem too bad on dmg honestly, are you taunting the frost king before your offtank gets 15 stacks of the frozen attack he does? If not its likely he's being stunned and them obviously nuked without any chance of avoiding attacks. Other than that it's pretty simple to just have a high uptime on shield block and rotate his cd's appropriately .

If he's having trouble with getting enough rage to keep shield block/barrier up he should probably go for hard cap expertise so he has no rage issues.

As for tortos its difficult really if he's picking bats up, stuns are generally a good thing when it comes to this and what i died to most was bats killing me when quake is dealt so he either needs to have a big tank cd up or a healers cd so he can survive the damage.
    Last edited by mmocd0c950b77c; 2013-03-17 at 06:19 AM.

Yeah, we were having a trouble with frost king, and we found out that we did it in a wrong way as well. (I don't know why we missed this, but we derped big time) We were standing apart by 15-20 yards and we were just swapping, so Frost king was running back and forth between tanks. We are going to put stop to that and just pretty much stack together so we can taunt off each other.

But other than that, isn't frost stack from Frost king a magical attack or a melee attack, because I honestly could read the tool tip on it and just thought it was basically a stacking melee attack, while the others said it is magical due to the fact it being a FROST attack. (another huge herp derp from me)

Quote Originally Posted by Noventforme View Post
    Yeah, we were having a trouble with frost king, and we found out that we did it in a wrong way as well. (I don't know why we missed this, but we derped big time) We were standing apart by 15-20 yards and we were just swapping, so Frost king was running back and forth between tanks. We are going to put stop to that and just pretty much stack together so we can taunt off each other.

But other than that, isn't frost stack from Frost king a magical attack or a melee attack, because I honestly could read the tool tip on it and just thought it was basically a stacking melee attack, while the others said it is magical due to the fact it being a FROST attack. (another huge herp derp from me)
    Whether or not an attack deals frost damage has no impact on the type of attack it is. When classifying abilities for bosses generally its Attack type, Damage classification, and Debuff type. In this case I would definitely expect it to be a melee attack. Generally, whether a boss uses attacks or spells (for abilities like this) is more dependent on the aesthetic of the encounter. For example, Gara'jal uses abilities that deal absorption-penetrating Shadow damage, but they're classified as 'attacks' because his aesthetic is that he melees you while totems do the rest of the work.

That's just a quick rundown of how I think about these things, of course knowing for sure is good, but it isn't always implicit in the tooltips. In the case of Malakk, its actually a buff on him that affects his otherwise normal melee attacks.

Deleted
    Its an extra frost attack that he does when he gets the buff
    I would recommend using the heroic tactic, just having everyone stack up... dot up Malakk and just BL burning Sul down while cleaving everything
    The raid damage isn't very high at all and you can ignore having to kill the healing ad from Marlii

Just make sure you are ready to pop a cooldown when he gets the frost buff as he does hit quite a bit harder when he has it up and just swap at around 10 stacks or so
    With regards to general tanking you should obviously be keeping shield block on as much uptime as possible due to multi mob tanking and fighting a dual wielder and only using barrier when you have significant excess rage to keep block on maximum uptime and dump it into barrier when he has the frozen attacks buff up

Do you have any logs that you could post, so I can take a more in depth look at what your friend is actually doing? Much easier to see exactly what is happening that way = )
    Last edited by mmocae83d35844; 2013-03-17 at 07:55 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    I would recommend using the heroic tactic, just having everyone stack up... dot up Malakk and just BL burning Sul down while cleaving everything
    Not having looking into it all that much but doesn't that put quick sand all over your raids face? or is that stuff not targeted at a player?

Anyhow, when he does his frost shit just make sure you have shield block up 100% of the time and i'd use my demo shout then. That leaves you with LS & Shieldwall if he's still feeling squishy (having RC as a backup even in that case).

He can also just ask for an external like HoSc. The tank damage on this fight on normal is pretty low (granted, when the frost guy goes mental it gets a bit higher), so you can easily safe the mitigation cooldowns for that part.

Deleted
    Quite the opposite, it means there is no sand:P

Quote Originally Posted by eddytheone View Post
    Quite the opposite, it means there is no sand:P
    It would mean there is no sandstorm, sand will still pop up on the ground.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokeNicotine View Post
    It would mean there is no sandstorm, sand will still pop up on the ground.
    Yeah, i meant the quick sand, not the sand storm. I'm wondering how the stacking up would affect that, or do you keep one guy out so it targets it on him/her or something? Meh, doesn't really matter i gues, it'll be a looong time before i start getting there ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Odeanathus View Post
    Yeah, i meant the quick sand, not the sand storm. I'm wondering how the stacking up would affect that, or do you keep one guy out so it targets it on him/her or something? Meh, doesn't really matter i gues, it'll be a looong time before i start getting there ^^
    Easiest way to do it is the Sul burn strat. Blow hero at the start, keep DPS on Sul until ~60 energy or so on frost king and switch to get him out, rinse repeat with the other three and if all goes well Sul will die before his turn making the fight trivial.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Try to tank Mar li @ council. Specc Mass Spell Reflection and Disrupting Shout. Use Glyph of Spellreflect. Have a good time. If you concentrate you will almost never eat a cast of Marli, which will make the healers praise you. Of course things change a bit when you have to taunt Malakk, cause you have to prefer Shieldblock then. Just don´t interruppt Mar li right when you have to charge to Malakk. She will follow you and decrease the distance, which her loa-Spirit has to walk to reach Sul.

If you happen to tank the bats @ Tortos, use Glyph of Death from above. It´s neat to cross a room filled with falling Stones and works as a second thunderclap if you used the first one too early to reach the descending bats. Pop a cooldown before the Stomp to stay above the 350k healthmark or the bats will heal themselves. Kite them into Tortos to enable the Melees to cleave and stun them as often as possible.

Just a minor tip, if you need to move quickly (Heroic Leap) don't jump across Rockfall on Tortos, it can hit you. Best death I've ever had.

Deleted
    Druids can dodge Frigid Assault on the Elders encounter. Thus you don't need to tankswap/have a stunned tank. Anyone tried dodge trinkets on that encounter or the like? Stuff that buffs avoidance for a short amount of time...high enough to dodge enough attacks.

Any tricks on that?

Deleted
    It is possible I suppose, although I can't see why you would and as a warrior it would be far too subject to RNG even using symbiosis savage defense, and if you are doing this to get away with solo tanking it on HC I would say it would probably cause you more greif due to bad RNG than any benefit you gain from having consistent tries

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zorker View Post
    Druids can dodge Frigid Assault on the Elders encounter. Thus you don't need to tankswap/have a stunned tank. Anyone tried dodge trinkets on that encounter or the like? Stuff that buffs avoidance for a short amount of time...high enough to dodge enough attacks.

Any tricks on that?
    I got druid symbiosis + dodge use trink(stamina one) when tanking malakk, but it felt counterproductive as the stack would take longer to build and i never managed to not get stunned :/

Deleted
    On Council, Our Druid Tank picks up Sul and Frost King because he can usually dodge enough so the stacks never reach 15. I tank High Priestess Mar'li and pummel, disrupting shout, spell reflect and mass spell reflect the spell she casts. Also keep shockwave and stormbolt for the adds she spawns.

On Tortos, the druid holds the boss and I take the bats. Shockwave is useful. Use demoralizing shout for one wave of adds, shield wall for another, last stand for another, have any druid healers/disc priest take turns with ironbark and pain suppression.

Erm, if Frost King does happen to give the other tank stacks over like.. 12 I just taunt at that point. And that's only when Sul is empowering. so the other tank can sort the adds.