Screen effects and melee player

Im not sure will I get flamed here, but I just need to ask:

If you play melee class in raid, do you sometimes loose sight where your toon is? I mean with all spells going toward boss, puddles on the ground, fire, boss abilities, my character gets lost somewhere under him. Sometimes im not sure if i even hit the boss, am in range or am i facing the wrong way.
    I did find few options to tone down effects, but that didnt help much, still too much effects going on. Its kinda ok on ranged classes , but its really pain on melee.

Thnx

Deleted
    Well, your Char is in the Middle of the Screen - That will never change. Not enough? :P

Most of the time I have no idea where I am on the screen. But typically it doesn't matter too much unless there are fire effects to not stand in. If your health is going down, you're probably in one :P

Best practice is to get tanks to not move the boss at all, unless there's some mechanic the boss needs to be moved for. That keeps things like suddenly being 1 foot out of range for 10 seconds before you notice from happening.

Quote Originally Posted by LotaGeek View Post
    Well, your Char is in the Middle of the Screen - That will never change. Not enough? :P
    Pretty much this.

You usually shouldn't be looking at your character anyways, but paying attention to everything else going on in the fight. Mostly you just have to intuit where your character is and check your feet when appropriate. This also applies to ranged characters.

The sad part is while its really annoying, that's the direction blizzard seems to be going with its encounter design these days. I've pretty much resolved myself to dealing with it. Smile, nod, and hope you don't have epilepsy.

Deleted
    i have had this problem on council as a ret palla we are doing the stack up and cleave tactic so i want to be keeping 5 stacks of censure up on all 3 targets and suddenly i notice that there isn't comming any damage from me on my scrolling damage text.
    and then realise i am in the middle of all 3 bosses and is facing my char the wrong way from the one i am targeting.

My character? I don't see how that would be possible.

My cursor on the other hand....

Keeping track of my character? Eh, not really an issue unless the raid is stacked or trying to move somewhere as a group (I would lose myself occasionally on H Vizier dodging)

Not being able to see shit on the ground? Sure, if there is a large group of adds or something. But that's just part of being melee, I suppose. It's only especially annoying when the ground effects are extra lethal (H Horridon, wtf?).

The most annoying part about spell/mob clutter is targeting the right shit, or knowing exactly where your target is in a group of a million mobs, so as to not leave their hit box. Pretty rare, though, the only example this tier is probably Horridon.

I've definitely noticed this to be a huge pita on Horridon. So many adds, who bring their own ground effects, coupled with those of our healers. Can be straining on my old eyes. >.>

Quote Originally Posted by LotaGeek View Post
    I was going to say this but it looks like LotaGeek beat me to it! Yeah, the character is in the middle of the screen, so it is generally easy to have an idea of where your character is at all times, and when moving out of fire or boss abilities, the raid normally spreads out, so you can see your character a little better. I always enjoy using "Potion of Giant Growth" for fun, so it's never to hard to spot me anyway!

Deleted
    Yup sooo many particle effects going on time to time really hard to keep track all doos and daas that are going on.
    Lastly Counsil charge path is nightmare to keep track

Glad Im not only one here with that problem. When look back, i didnt have that problem in TBC and Wrath, it kinda started in Cata and here now in Mop.
    Guess there are more boss mechanic and its effects now than before, not to mention shaman healing rain and priest ground aoe which overlap with boss/adds aoe very often.
    Also, melee range and boss size of hit box take large part. Looks like we just need to take it as it is or just play ranged class.

---------- Post added 2013-03-20 at 10:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by iamthedevil View Post
    My character? I don't see how that would be possible.

My cursor on the other hand....
    Yes, mouse pointer is also pain to find sometimes. I use keybinds for normal rotation, but i need cursor for clicking things that are not keybinded, usually Cds or trinkets.